Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling 2015 22VLX owners...Diamond Hull for surfing?!

fishandsurf

I am literally about to sign papers on a 2015 22 VLX... until I found out it has diamond hull on it. I just assumed I wanted the wake + hull for the best possible surf wave, thought I would ask the experts here if it really matters that much? Thanks in advance!

If it helps at all we started surfing behind a 88 Sunsetter 10 years ago, been making a 2010 V Ride work for the last 5 years and have decided to go for the wakesetter and surfgate for better overall experience. We wakeboard a bit, nothing more serious then some 360's... it's all about surfing for this boat. thanks again for thoughts not he diamond hull vs. wake hull for surfing.

It's been debated up and down if it effects the surf wave or not, I don't know either way, and I haven't seen any 22VLXs with the diamond hull. I had a VTX with the diamond hull and we got a great surfwave out of it listed.

Did you demo this boat? If you liked the surf wave, why does it matter? I haven't surfed the same models with both hulls, but my 23LSV has the diamond, and my buddy has a 22 VLX with the Wake hull and we both think they are great waves.

I demo'd a boat with a wake hull. Dealer I decided to go with for many reasons including available and stock and closer to my lake has the diamond hull, not sure what little voice in my head even thought to ask. aargh! I plan to demo it this week... wanted to see if anyone with a 22LVX and diamond hull for surfing had an opinion and hopefully will tell me it's awesome and not to worry about it. Ultimately the test drive/ride will decide if I care

I had a '13 VLX Diamond and it surfed GREAT! A year later my neighbor bought a '13 VLX Wake which I've surfed several times (same ballast, speed, etc. as mine). I couldn't tell the difference.

Go demo it. I bet you'll love it.

• Like 2

I read similar thoughts in recent 23 LSV forum. Just a little paranoid dropping 100k on a boat that has the main purpose of surfing, so seeking out a little reassurance from any diamond hull owners. I am demo riding tomorrow afternoon, will report back for others reference in the future, thanks again for the responses. Any 22LXV owners that want to chime in I would love to hear!

I had a 2014 23 LSV last summer with the diamond hull. My dealer orders all of their inventory with the diamond hull. It surfs great! Don't worry a second about it in my opinion. You ride a wake hull and diamond hull side by side at surfing speed in my opinion you could never tell a difference.

My two cents:

I had a 13 vlx with diamond hull last year. Buddy has a 14 lsv with diamond hull. The surf waves were awesome, but his was bigger. I now have a 15 vlx with wake hull and would say the surf waves are a lot more similar. But to your point, i don't think the hull will make much of a difference at surf speed. You will notice the difference at wake boarding speeds. I took a gamble and chose wake hull as dealer only ordered diamond hull for all models. The new vlx is nothing short of being awesome - extremely happy with it as I'm sure you will be

I have the diamond hull and it surfs great. I am extremely happy with my decision. My family likes to do everything and the diamond hull allows for that. I don't know how much of a difference there really is.

• Like 1

I have the 2014 LSV with diamond and my buddy has the 2013 wake hull and personally I like our wake for surfing slightly better. That could be subtle differences in weight, year etc, but the point being I don't think it matters one way or the other. Good luck

If you're worried about the surf wake, I'm not sure you should. It puts out a spectacular surf wake with some extra weight in the nose as well as the rear lockers. Having the diamond hull makes it possible to do some recreational slalom skiing behind it if you wanted to.

Now, if you're worried about how it affects the wakeboard wake, I can't speak to that as we don't really do any of that.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. I wish the wakeboard wake was a big deal for me... lol... it's not the wake holding my wakeboard skills back, after seeing dislocated shoulders, broken legs, concussions etc. the unwillingness to endure further injuries for the glory of a trick these days takes the prize in that category! Wake to wake and a 360 is about as extreme as it's getting anymore.

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. I wish the wakeboard wake was a big deal for me... lol... it's not the wake holding my wakeboard skills back, after seeing dislocated shoulders, broken legs, concussions etc. the unwillingness to endure further injuries for the glory of a trick these days takes the prize in that category! Wake to wake and a 360 is about as extreme as it's getting anymore.

now its time to post up some pics of your purchase!

Hopefully you actually go out and demo the boat before purchasing. Having people on a public forum make your purchase decision is crazy to me. Nobody here has yet posted a back to back comparison behind a diamond and wake hull plus on a 2015 vlx. Comparing a 2013 or 14 with a different hull and completely different boat does not answer your question.

Exactly why I am taking it on the water in a few hours.... Would be nuts to not try it first... Pics coming... For better or worse!

I have a 15 VLX with the wake hull. Diamond hull isn't very good for Wakeboarding if you load the boat up with ballast, Wake surfing I doubt it makes much difference. Diamond hull has more lift in the back so should be better for cruising around. Wake Surf wake is awesome on the boat.

Spent almost 2 hours on the 15 22 VLX. Dealer didn't have any additional ballast hooked up so it was hard to give a fair grade... It surfed OK with 2 adults, all ballast and gas tank full... but I wasn't blown away. What additional ballast and wedge settings are you guys running? I am bringing my own bags back tomorrow for another go at it. I'd post pics but my 11 year old didn't get shots worth using...lol. Will direct him a little better tomorrow!

Spent almost 2 hours on the 15 22 VLX. Dealer didn't have any additional ballast hooked up so it was hard to give a fair grade... It surfed OK with 2 adults, all ballast and gas tank full... but I wasn't blown away. What additional ballast and wedge settings are you guys running? I am bringing my own bags back tomorrow for another go at it. I'd post pics but my 11 year old didn't get shots worth using...lol. Will direct him a little better tomorrow!

I don't get it, he took you out on a demo with no bags? Weak sauce in my book...you should not have to bring out your own bags. They don't have at least the 550 pnp bags installed? Seriosuly, nothing against your dealer but that is a terrible way to demo a boat.

Edited by Fman

No kidding. They were shocked when I said I'm not sold, none of them surf...go figure. I think if it was a wake hull I wouldn't think twice and just know it's good. The diamond hull is making me loose sleep even with many saying it's great, gotta see it for myself. So what is weaker... dealer A having a demo boat sac'd out, bow, middle of floor, lockers! Wouldn't be surprised if he pulled the plug. I laughed and said I'm not spending 100k on a boat that needs a sac in the midddle of the floor... Or dealer B not having much of a clue?

You should really have a bag that is set up for PNP so you can also see how PNP works, fills and drains the bags. I would bring no less than a 750 for each rear locker and another 600 in the bow. Fill all hard tanks, wedge 2-3 clicks up at 10.8 mph. This should give you and good taste of what the boat is capable of.

And you don't need a bag in center floor. Double weak sauce on both counts...good lord, how do these guys stay in business?

Edited by Fman