Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oh Shucks !

WeekdayBoater

I need some ideas. I was changing the oil in my 340 monsoon and I put the tube from the oil extactor down the dipstick hole like I always do and it didnt seem right this time. I tried to pull it up and the tube is stuck in the dipstick tube. I tried twisting it and running some oil down the tube but I cannot free it. Any ideas ?

Thanks

John

Chuck,

Good response and advice. I was afraid to pull it too hard, but yea if it breaks it breaks. Also dont have a good reason for not using the drain line, but i will from now on.

Thanks

John

Here's the next unsolicited piece of advice: I discovered that the drain pan line in my boat used the same threads as a air compressed hose valve. I too a male compressor hose end and a short piece of hose and attached them to my pump fluid extractor so that when I need to change the oil on the boat I screw the adapter in to the line going to the bottom of the drain pan and plug the hose in to the fluid extractor. I can use my fluid extractor and have a threaded connection to the line going to the bottom of the oil pan. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow night if you're interested; I'm not going back out the garage tonight...

• Like 2

Here's the next unsolicited piece of advice: I discovered that the drain pan line in my boat used the same threads as a air compressed hose valve. I too a male compressor hose end and a short piece of hose and attached them to my pump fluid extractor so that when I need to change the oil on the boat I screw the adapter in to the line going to the bottom of the drain pan and plug the hose in to the fluid extractor. I can use my fluid extractor and have a threaded connection to the line going to the bottom of the oil pan. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow night if you're interested; I'm not going back out the garage tonight...

+1 I did the same thing, works awesome.

Planning to change the oil this weekend, can post a pic if I remember.

Here's what I did when I, or I mean a friend of mine did the same thing

Take the dipstick tube loose and remove.

Run a section on steel cable down the plastic tube.

Pinch onto the plastic tube with the steel cable inside and pull.

Hopefully it all comes out.

Reinstall the dipstick tube.

From now on always use the drain tube on the bottom of the pan. make a nice adapter to make it easier.

This worked for me, errr him.

• Like 2

Mike,

When you have time a picture would be great

Thanks

John

Here's what I did when I, or I mean a friend of mine did the same thing

Take the dipstick tube loose and remove.

Run a section on steel cable down the plastic tube.

Pinch onto the plastic tube with the steel cable inside and pull.

Hopefully it all comes out.

Reinstall the dipstick tube.

From now on always use the drain tube on the bottom of the pan. make a nice adapter to make it easier.

This worked for me, errr him.

Thanks for passing on this advice from your friend. :biggrin: I'll try it

John

Here's the picture I promised, it's a 1/4 NPT female to male air compressor fitting inside a hose that runs to the suction port on the fluid extractor. I keep the fluid extractor in a bucket just in case, but I've never had single drop of oil leak from the connection with the extractor.

extractor:

post-3087-0-60017800-1436932758_thumb.jp

hose:

post-3087-0-38550400-1436932846_thumb.jp

Edited by mikeo
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah I bought that same pump. Just looking for the piece to speed things up. I don't want to go to multiple stores if I can be sent directly to the part I need. I'll check out HD.

Edited by saxton15

Yeah I bought that same pump. Just looking for the piece to speed things up. I don't want to go to multiple stores if I can be sent directly to the part I need. I'll check out HD.

If you select your store it'll even tell you what aisle they are in. If you where local, I'd give you one - must have at least 4 of them laying around from cheap multipacks that I only needed the male thread fittings.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-FNPT-x-1-4-in-I-M-Brass-Plug-CP20BHOM/205331870/