Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Seat Skins

REHinH20

Any chance of an email address for Gabriel?

Easier to email from down under due to time differences.

Thanks for the how to post with pics, make the process more appealing to jive it a go.

Nice write up. Will follow this as I'm not that far out from doing some interior work on our boat. What type and size staples should one use? Same on skins as trimpiece?

Henrik - I used the same staples on both, and it appeared the factory did also (from what I could tell removing the old ones. I pulled an old one out and went with the same depth. Of course you should use stainless at the very least.

Good to know there is replacement for Chee that works first gets paid later. I'm sure Gabriel will start getting very busy after this post.

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

Edited by bunji169

Where was this thread two years ago when I was replacing the skins on my old centurion. I learned on the fly how to do this, and the results showed, I was working with really broken down foam and I pulled the skin too tight which resulted in seats not looking quite the same shape they had previously. :)

Good to know there is replacement for Chee that works first gets paid later. I'm sure Gabriel will start getting very busy after this post.

Surfin USA [emoji570][emoji475]

Being self employed I know for a fact "Pay 100% after" will end the first time one of these guys gets burned. Or they will say " This is a side job, why am I risking my hard earned money"

At this point they just quit doing it and we are all out. It is also a side job. Meaning "It is on their schedule"

All it will take is for someone to order skins, then not be able to take delivery.

We have all been there. "I had unexpected medical expenses" or " I wrecked my car and had to buy a new one". or my favorite "I budgeted that last month, I don't have it this month"

Yes, I have actually heard that one!!!

Even if they have material in stock, It was paid for up front!

These guys have to get something up front.

I also wanted to add.

These are guys with normal day jobs. After emailing Gabriel, I backed it up with a phone call, because it sounded like he had started his own gig. He in fact still has a normal day job. I get upset when my employees get personal calls on the clock.

Especially side work that should be referred to the business. The only difference here is Malibu will not support beyond 5 years, this is a mistake by Malibu.

These phone calls during business hours will ruin the service we have. Please stick to emails and let them respond on their own schedule.

Obviously, I do not approve of people walking with others hard earned money. Just needed to point out the obvious. They are also taking a risk. Quite often unneeded if they have a day job. I am sure they could have plenty of local work to keep them busy. :) :)

BTW

I am work first get paid later

It is just the way my trade works. I know many trades that receive 50% up front for material. :surprised: Sure wish I could!!!

^^^ I hope you feel better :biggrin: I would have no problem putting 25-50% down to atleast cover material. Make skins, text/email a completed pic, send remaining money, ship skins!!

• Like 3

Well I contacted him and have the corner skins coming. Really excited about it because those two have been re-sewn and super glued a million times! Let us know how the other two turn out when you get them done.

Well, Sparky - I offered to pay him partial upfront, and he declined. I am also a business person, and realize if my employees do something like this on the side, they probably are never going to make enough money to cause them to leave me...but I also believe that micro-managing them and "getting upset" at them because they took a couple minute call on my time could be a reason for them to leave. I try to strike a balance for my employees to give them an enjoyable work atmosphere. Good employees are hard enough to come by, and one training a new one is not worth the investment because of side job phone calls.

My point of the article was to give members another option of a good and reputable interior guy, AND show what worked for me. Agree with Nate...hope your rant made you feel better, because it kinda made me feel like my post was somehow useless.

• Like 3

Well, Sparky - I offered to pay him partial upfront, and he declined. I am also a business person, and realize if my employees do something like this on the side, they probably are never going to make enough money to cause them to leave me...but I also believe that micro-managing them and "getting upset" at them because they took a couple minute call on my time could be a reason for them to leave. I try to strike a balance for my employees to give them an enjoyable work atmosphere. Good employees are hard enough to come by, and one training a new one is not worth the investment because of side job phone calls.

My point of the article was to give members another option of a good and reputable interior guy, AND show what worked for me. Agree with Nate...hope your rant made you feel better, because it kinda made me feel like my post was somehow useless.

Your post wasn't useless. It helped me out!

• Like 2

The post was not useless. It was very Helpful

THANK YOU!!!

My apologies if it made you feel that way

Thank you also for doing the right thing and offering a deposit.

That is how good business is completed, and customers and vendors are all happy in the end.

Not everyone feels this way.

About Micro Managing.

I have no problem with an occasional phone call. I also allow a BALANCE. With this being posted on a public forum, It may not be a balance.

Was pointing a few items out to try and keep the balance so we all, including the vendor, can continue to benefit.

Its Friday, Lets all hit the water!!! :) :) :boat: :boat:

BTW It would suck to be one of you guys up north!!! Where is the icicle smiley?

• Like 3

Definitely not useless, I didn't take Sparky's post that way, I took it as a suggestion to Gabriel on how to proceed in his young venture and some etiquette for the consumer on how to contact on converse with him to keep this going. I am in contact with Gabriel about several skins, so thank you :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Has anyone had luck contacting Gabriel lately? I sent him an email and left a voice mail , and no response.

Thanks

Hi. Has anyone had luck contacting Gabriel lately? I sent him an email and left a voice mail , and no response.

Thanks

I emailed him and he got back within a couple days. Had my skins in less than 2 weeks. He did great work but must be getting busy.