Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Exile build in my new LSV... (first time)

IXFE

Another topic I generally try to avoid, but since it keeps coming up...

Everybody's so convinced this boat is already sold. I'm not so sure... there's really nowhere to go from here for me. This thing is so legit.

Sometimes I look at my track record and think "you're crazy, dude." But it got me into this boat, and honestly, I'd rather be sitting here than in a G or any other boat for that matter. I'm sure there will be new exciting toys in the future, but how much is too much??

Somebody please remind me that I said all this.

Reminder ^^^^^

Nice job and great write up! I read this with complete Deja Vu, I did a similar install on my 13LSV. One thing I did different was the ZLD install location. I didn't like it mounted under the dash and I have a two year old who likes to push buttons. I ended up making a mount and placing it in the right a cubby.

27BA259F-FFEF-4510-BB97-4AA0DC7FA105.jpg

850A124E-A25C-42B0-867C-622AD756EEA9.jpg

80B24E0A-6040-45AA-A1AC-147BDB47958E.jpg

-Ryan

Nice job and great write up! I read this with complete Deja Vu, I did a similar install on my 13LSV. One thing I did different was the ZLD install location. I didn't like it mounted under the dash and I have a two year old who likes to push buttons. I ended up making a mount and placing it in the right a cubby.

27BA259F-FFEF-4510-BB97-4AA0DC7FA105.jpg

850A124E-A25C-42B0-867C-622AD756EEA9.jpg

80B24E0A-6040-45AA-A1AC-147BDB47958E.jpg

-Ryan

Ryan,

How did you fit the mount into the cubby? Did you have to remove the side molding or did it just slide in the opening? How is it secured in place?

It fit in the opening. There was just enough room that I could manipulate into the correct position. Two secure it, I used industrial Velcro (I got this at Lowes). Even though the Velcro had adhesive on the back I used some Gorilla super glue to ensure it didn't pull off. The reason I used Velcro is because I couldn't determine the exact location to line the ZLD up with the trim of the cubby. The Velcro allowed me to adjust the bracket into the perfect position. Once I'm sure its going to stay, I'll probably sync some stainless screws so I know it won't budge. For now, Its solid enough.

It is interesting to see everyone's builds and difference of opinion. I guess customization is what makes this all fun. For me that location would drive me nuts because one of the main attractions to the ZLD is the nice big volume knob. When riding the volume is constantly getting changed and that knob needs to be handy.

To each his own though.....nice install!

• Like 2

For years and years people complained about the "under arm - behind throttle" stereo mount in Malibu boats. I will vouch for the complaint, it was awkward to reach down and back in order to adjust the stereo.

Kind of funny to see folks going back to the same mounting spot. But if it works for you / that's all the matters!

I used to view the large volume knob as a desirable feature of the ZLD. Now there's an even bigger volume knob on the dash. So why would you want to use the little volume knob on the ZLD. Now that Malibu has finally integrated a nice volume knob with the stereo, i'm not sure I even want a ZLD anymore. I'm back to thinking the JL audio amps with built-in remote volume control are the route to go for the sub amp and the tower amp.

Just mount two of these on the dash - one for the sub amp, one for the tower amp and use the large Malibu knob for master volume.

post-4451-0-38398800-1415942998_thumb.jp

Edited by Cory

I'm of the thought that the system really benefits from the stepped up voltage coming from the EQ. No reason you couldn't do that with hidden line drivers too, but when you start pricing those out, the EQ has some value.

Cory any under-dash pics of the new dash? Making an EQ mount isn't too hard.

• Like 1

I used to view the large volume knob as a desirable feature of the ZLD. Now there's an even bigger volume knob on the dash. So why would you want to use the little volume knob on the ZLD. Now that Malibu has finally integrated a nice volume knob with the stereo, i'm not sure I even want a ZLD anymore. I'm back to thinking the JL audio amps with built-in remote volume control are the route to go for the sub amp and the tower amp.

Just mount two of these on the dash - one for the sub amp, one for the tower amp and use the large Malibu knob for master volume.

Personally, I like the idea of being able to dial down the in-boats, in order to crank the towers as opposed to the converse.

• Like 1

Two things I used on the ZLD frequently were the tower/ cabin fade and the volume knob. The rest was set and forget.

I also think that the ZLD is worth it just for the increased voltage. I thought the system on my last boat sounded decent until I installed the ZLD. Huge improvement. Huge.

Two things I used on the ZLD frequently were the tower/ cabin fade and the volume knob. The rest was set and forget.

I also think that the ZLD is worth it just for the increased voltage. I thought the system on my last boat sounded decent until I installed the ZLD. Huge improvement. Huge.

Ah the good old days....

(agree 100% and still miss the fader)

• Like 1

The new dashes don't have any good mounting spots for the ZLD. The plastic of the dash doesn't wrap down and under as far as it used to.

Is under the 2015 dash even less than under the 2014? They look about the same to me. I had my WS420 mounted right under the start button on my LSV

I agree the stepped up voltage is important. In fact, noise floor on my RFX3000 head unit was not great and I think a ZLD would have helped. I'm hoping the new RFX6000 has a lower noise floor.

I am still interested in a ZLD, but I haven't seen a great mounting spot or installation on the new boats yet. I also don't have my boat yet, so I haven't had the benefit of sitting in it and staring at it, sleeping on it, repeat, etc. Perhaps a solution will present itself once I get my boat in my garage in Feb.

• 4 months later...