Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fat sac

my buddy wants to buy one for my boat. boat is brand new 2006 response LX with manual wedge. pros-cons? how to fill? how to drain? tusami pump? also the boat is kept in water tied to pier and then on lift when we are away. no trailering.

any better ideas?

he thinks it could go in rear of boat in stoprage compartment. i think not. does it not go in place of rear removable seat on floor?

my buddy wants to buy one for my boat. boat is brand new 2006 response LX with manual wedge. pros-cons? how to fill? how to drain? tusami pump? also the boat is kept in water tied to pier and then on lift when we are away. no trailering.

any better ideas?

he thinks it could go in rear of boat in stoprage compartment. i think not. does it not go in place of rear removable seat on floor?

What are you trying to accomplish and what are you using it for? For surfing, some folks may have a different answer than say wakeboarding or other.

If y'all are surfin' u will need more than one hehehehe.

If your friend is buying, have him buy 2 Fly High 750lb. sacks and a Tsunami pump.

For wakeboarding, put them on each side of the engine, or one in front of the engine and one behind.

For surfing, put them both on the same side, the rear corner of the boat on the side you are surfing.

thanks. 25% surfing. We were able to get a surf going but then the surf died. Purchase would be for surfing but should help boarding as well. the wedge does help.

any reason why one could just start with one? not much room in boat. any reason why not t remove rear seat and use there?

I guess filling it is self explanatory. How to empty? does the pump empty as well?

You can get a pair of the V drive sacs for pretty cheap on Ebay. I would get those. Put one behind the motor box, one along side on whichever side you're surfing. When boarding, use them on either side of the motor box, or put them both in the stern. 800 lbs in a Response goes a long way towards wake building.

thanks. 25% surfing. We were able to get a surf going but then the surf died. Purchase would be for surfing but should help boarding as well. the wedge does help.

any reason why one could just start with one? not much room in boat. any reason why not t remove rear seat and use there?

I guess filling it is self explanatory. How to empty? does the pump empty as well?

2 is better then one (help to balance out the weight), people can sit on them, and when empty they take up hardly any space. To empty, just switch the pump around and attach it to the sacks.

2 is better then one (help to balance out the weight), people can sit on them, and when empty they take up hardly any space. To empty, just switch the pump around and attach it to the sacks.

What he said... :) The pump serves both as input and output...

Also, if you do a search under "surfing" there should be some good threads in here that can help u with weighting the boat. I know there have been some recent threads on this.

For boarding, as JSP states u want to balance around to ensure a nice clean wake.

Ok...did a search and here are 3 most recent threads that I think u will find helpful...

Weighted for a V-drive

Search Surfin' 1

How much ballast is too much

Search Surfin' 2

Need wakesurfin' help

Search Surfin' 3

For wakeboarding (the other 75%) u need to watch to ensure wait is distributed evenly and is a clean wake...any wash and of course your rider won't be happy. :)

Edited by The Garslayer

On our old fat sac we would throw the pump overboard and it would suck lake water into it and pump it through a hose that we connected to the fat sac fitting. To drain it, there was a connector on the input side of the pump that connected to the sac (a blue waterbed fill connector in our case, Fly High Pro series use newer/better ones now) and the pump sucked the water out of the sack and pumped it through the hose back into the lake (assuming we remembered to throw the hose output overboard...oops!).

• 3 months later...

750-800# in a RLX on just one side is not a good idea. especially at surfing speeds! what's going to happen is you will have water flowing over the rail and into either the locker in the back or the vent, or flat out in the boat! with how low the boat sits in the water, you have to be careful at slow speeds when adding weight. In my 03 RLX, i have a fly high seat bottom in place of the rear seat (650#) people can sit on it but if you have a few people and you want them to sit on the seat you can tilt it up or not fill it up all the way and put it btwn the seat and thet engine, a pair of skylon fat buddies (280# each) 1 on each side of the engine. you can move these towards the bow or the stern to twik the wake if you don't have alot of people in the boat. And probably most important is the 580# skylon fat boy in the bow sitting on the seat. You need weight in the bow if you put anything else in the boat b/c it will porpose really bad, it will take a while to get on a plane and the longer it takes the more chance of taking on water, and it will cause the paddle wheel on the perfect pass to give you bad readings and jerk around. If i were you, id take the back seat out. a fatboy (or about 580# bag) in the front, side sacs or fat buddies on the sides of the engine, and the fly high seat bottom in the back...when you wakeboard you'll be set, when you want to surf... keep it just like that except grab one end of the seat bottom sac and drag it to where it wraps around the engine. probably 1/3 around it and 2/3 still in the back but so that the majority of the weight from that sac is in the back corner of the boat. you CAN still swamp this way so be careful, its best to have friends with you that can make the adjustments as needed while you drive. might want to let a little bit of water out of that back sac so you can get it to bend in that back corner. OH !! and of course the wedge.

Don't put any sacs or weight in the rear locker! you'll damage the gas tank! this boat is VERY sensitive to weight so depeneding on how many people you have in there, fine tunning it is very easy. I'll be on my boat tomorrow so i can take some pics and post them tomorrow night if you'd like.

Don't know about the Response, but on Skiline00's Sunsetter direct drive, we found that a lot of weight in the bow really helped the wake out a lot. We had the Brad_B's bow sac up there (1000), my pair of V-drive sacs on the surf side beside the engine box, in addition to one or two of Skiline00's 300 lb sacs on the surf side wherever we could fit them. So, probably 1200 or so on the surf side. The water was definitely at or over the rub rail, but we never had a problem with it coming into the boat. The wake was great!

Ron, I think starting with one 750 and going from there might be a good way to go. Or, a pair of V-drive sacs, that would be a total of 800 lbs, and you can stack them if need be. The Fly High sacs and the Tsunami are the only way to go, IMHO. The sacs are really tough, the fittings are easy to use, etc. People can even sit on the Fly High sacs and you don't have to worry about it.

Edited by sunscapeJeff
750-800# in a RLX on just one side is not a good idea. especially at surfing speeds! what's going to happen is you will have water flowing over the rail and into either the locker in the back or the vent, or flat out in the boat! with how low the boat sits in the water, you have to be careful at slow speeds when adding weight.
No.gif My Sporty sits lower to the water than any Response and we had 1250#'s in it for surfing. You'll be fine. Just watch for wakes from other boats...those can cause you problems. Yes.gif
750-800# in a RLX on just one side is not a good idea. especially at surfing speeds! what's going to happen is you will have water flowing over the rail and into either the locker in the back or the vent, or flat out in the boat! with how low the boat sits in the water, you have to be careful at slow speeds when adding weight.

With typical summer lake traffic I definitely agree. We had a guy swamp his this summer. $18k worth of damage because he turned his head for a minute & took a wave over the side..... a pretty small wave that his boat wouldn't have had a problem with if he wasn't weighted so that the rubrail was under water at the time.

No.gif My Sporty sits lower to the water than any Response and we had 1250#'s in it for surfing. You'll be fine. Just watch for wakes from other boats...those can cause you problems. Yes.gif

I wasn't talking about 800 pounds in the boat total. I run over 1800 pounds of just fat sacs...that's not including people or the wedge! I was saying 800 pounds on "one side" of the boat (especially one side in the very back of the boat), with no other weight anywhere else, and yes you are going to have some problems with taking on water, especially with other boats, but even when you slow down/stop that great surf wake that you just made can be in your lap... so its not how much weight that could be a potential problem, its how you distribute it.

But you can sink anyboat to the rubrail and be fine as long as you are very careful...like givin it a little gas to bring the nose up on rollers, not letting one come at you from the side, gradually slowing down to stop, and idle turns to go pick up your rider are just a few examples. And of course, paying attention! My brother is notorious for not payin attention when I'm wakeboarding. It sucks to be in the water waiting on them to come pick you back up and your boat takes a nose dive into a roller 50 ft away from you. talkin about feelin helpless!

But yea, the weight is fine, i should have stressed in my last post "all the weight on the back corner of the boat" and "you'll be alright as long as your careful." sorry for the confusion