Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI vs. MC Prostar 197

Sporty

From the mouth of babes:

My 2 sons just returned from Coble ski school and they could not wait to get back behind our Response. They said the wake is softer.

My ski buddy has a 2002 197 that I ski behind, I like my Response wake better. The 197 may be a heavier boat. Just my 2 cents worth. A major factor in the wakes will be what speed you will ski at and how much weight you have in the boat. I am not sure the wakes will be much different at 20 to 25 MPH on any of the ski boats. I see a major difference between our Response and the 197 start at 28 MPH then they get similar again at 32 and up, I ski at 30 MPH. My ski buddies 197 has a hump in the wake from about 26 MPH to just about 32 then the wake flattens but is still harder than our Response.

The bottom line is, go drive the boats and purchase the one you like.

Best of luck

Andy

One thing to keep in mind is that MC has two different molds they use to make the 197. One is for the team boats, like the promo guys and what you would have used at Picko's, and another one that they use for the general public. Makes no sense to me, but there is a difference, the team boat has a lot more hook in the back of the hull and skies completely different. If you want a good skiing boat make sure if you buy the MC that you get one from the correct mold.

This statement is FALSE. The current TT boats and the regular 190/197s are the same hull. The hulls were different only in 2002. In this year they added a bit more hook to the hull of the TT boats which was not on the regular production boats. They added this hook to the regular production boat in 2003 and from then on they have all been exactly the same hull.

Edited by BrianM

When I did my upgrade from a 2000 RLX last year, I wondered if the MC was better. I had way too many problems with the 2000. I bought it on a recommendation back then and really didn't try both. This time I tried both. The 2007 wasn't out yet, so it was the old LXI v the MC 197. I ended up picking up a used 2005 RLXi.

The thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned so far was the power. The MC base engine was slower. It seemed sluggish. The RLXI base engine was faster than the monsoon in my 2000. The RLXI had a pep feel to it. The MC people had a slightly used boat (2005) available that had an extra gear. The explanation was the gear got the engine into a higher RPM faster to make it faster out of the hole. This sort of bugged me. Another thing to break that also added to the fuel bill. I was afraid of this and stuck with what I was familiar with.

The CC dealer I talked to mentioned something about a plate on the bottom of the MC to fix the wake. I know its bad mouthing, but I'm sure there is something to that. I didn't drive a CC.

The MC dealer said he would include a rudder made for a 2006 boat. He said it fixed some steering issue. Another odd thing that sort of scared me away from the MC.

The MC seemed to go straight better, but maybe that was my perception of how it took more effort to turn it.

On the wakes, I ski fast with a short line, so wakes aren't a big deal. I laugh when I hear how great the RLXI is at slow speeds though. My buddy is having a bear finding a smooth spot skiing 30 MPH. There is definitely a big bump there at slow speeds.

My .02 Rlxi best wake at all speeds no spray issues at short line.

CC 196 very nice wake noticeable prop wash its soft but somthing I don't see on the Rlxi

MC wake is crisper more noticeable.

With that said I would not turn down a ski on any of them.

I have a frend with a MC promo boat that had gel coat issues MC fixed it twice the third time thay told him to sell it.

I checked out MC, CC, BU, and MB Sports b-4 bringing my 07 Rlxi home. :unsure:Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif