Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI vs. MC Prostar 197

Sporty

My wife and I spent a day last week at Corey Pickos ski school in Florida and had a great time. We skiied behind their MC 197 and loved it and now my wife is itching to have one. Before we make a move, I need to know the difference between the 197 and the new rlxi. Our love is slalom but board a little too. We do have a VLX, which is my dads, to wakeboard on. We currently have a Sportster but need more room. We also think the wake on the sporty is real hard compaired to the 197.

My wife and I both love the looks of the MC 197 and thought it had adaquate room. We have not been behind the response.

Can anyone give my some good advice on which would be the better boat?

MC makes a very nice boat, no question about it. Have you compared the prices of a 197 and RLXI? My guess is that the 197 will cost you more. Also, you will need to add ballast to the 197 if you want any kind of a wake, whereas with the wedge you don't have bags to deal with. My 2 cents.

I ski behind a X-7 a couple times a year and I would have to say that the RLXi will have a lot more room and a better wake.

no doubt the new lxi has more room, and also a far better bling factor than the 197 Thumbup.gif

i havnt skied behind the new hull but even at 20% smaller i would think that the 197 wake is smaller but Dontknow.gif

also IMO the 197 wake is more turbulant than a lxi wake but not as bad as turbulant as a CC196.

the worst part about the 197 wake is the bump at 22 off, from my knowledge i would say it is worse than the lx, lxi and 196.

as a hardcore ski boat they are very nice. ive never been convinced that the difference in cost outweighs the benefit of quality, handling etc.

thats my AU$0.02

Test drive/ski the RLXi, price both out, then make your decision.

We are going to see if my dealer will let us test drive a new RLXI this weekend. Thumbup.gif

They're both really nice. I think for efficiency of the hull and versatility the RLXi gets the nod, but if all I did was slalom on a private lake, I would be happy with either.

As my name indicates, i've recently convered...so i have first hand experience with the exact scenario you have asked about. The big thing that sold me on the Malibu were (1) better wakes behind the malibu (2) the lxi is a true walk-through bow (this was huge for us...to get a true walk through bow in a MC you'd have to move to the 209...the wake behind a 209 is not a ski wake) and (3) the wedge doesn't lower the boat capacity when boarding (like a ballast tank).

On a less important note, the finish of the Malibu is nicer and there is a bit more space inside the boat (as well as storage).

Could you put a wedge on a 197, or would that be some kind of sin? Is the transom reinforced for the wedge on the Malibus?

Could you put a wedge on a 197, or would that be some kind of sin? Is the transom reinforced for the wedge on the Malibus?

First you'll need to provide a hull # to get a wedge unless you purchase used. A guy did it a few years ago but as I recollect it wasn't worth it, plus I bet it voided the warranty. I certainly would recommend it.

First you'll need to provide a hull # to get a wedge unless you purchase used. A guy did it a few years ago but as I recollect it wasn't worth it, plus I bet it voided the warranty. I certainly would recommend it.

No you don't. You can buy new and not have to provide a number.

Here is a story I have from this past weekend. I pulled into the boat parking lot to uncover and get ready to ski. I was waiting for friends also. In comes a 1989 Mastercraft. Guy gets out and and introduces himself and we chat while I help him put up his tower. In comes a 2006 MC Prostar 197 Tournament Team edition boat. He says, That's my buddy. So I introduce myself. He asks about my boat and how I like it. I said, well I love it.. couldn't be more happier. Only issue I have is that at altitude here I need to find the right prop selection. He looked at me and say.. "well I hate this new Prostar I bought. They told me how awesome it was and the wakes were the best of anything." I asked him what he meant. He said, "well I want to return this piece of crap and get a Malibu like yours." I pushed further and he described the wakes are being terrible in comparison to the 1989 MC his buddy has right there. He actually parked the boat in the lot and jumped in with his friend on the old boat. They proceeded to ski the course for a few hours. Later in the day, they change boats and decided to wakeboard only behind the new MC. I was shocked to hear he was so disappointed. He felt he was lied to and oversold. I am not sure what to say, but to add a little bit to my story. Here is town two rival dealerships swapped dealerships a few years back. One shop had Mastercraft and the other Malibu, then one day Malibu offered the dealership to them and they dropped MC in turn to have Malibu. Then the Old Malibu dealer picked up the MC dealership. Bad blood ever since from what I hear. The current Malibu dealer says it was the best thing he ever did and will never consider changing. The dealership who currently has the Mastercraft rights.. are a bunch of a*******. Before I bought my Bu, I came into there shop twice and into their booth at the boat show three times. Only once did I get help and the guy asked if I had any questions and I asked one thing and when he was done answering, he walked away. I just stood there with my wife, in shock. I am a sales manager for an IT company and would never ever consider treating a customer like that. We got in the car and left. But every single day I walk into the Malibu dealership I have prompt door service.

Just as a side note, I didn't buy my Bu from them, i bought mine used out of state and they still treat me as a friend. That alone will earn my loyalty and I have now purchased all my ski/wakeboard gear from them.

Edited by Cougar1

I have a 2007 LXi, moved from MC, and highly considered the MC 197.

Our ski group skis behind my LXi and a MC 197.

I know both boats VERY well.

It totally depends on how you will use it: Private ski lake, with no gear on board; or family/friends out for the day.

A huge irritant in the 197 is a handrail just above the rear seat. To sit there, with your back against the side of the boat (to watch behind) has a handrail right in your back! You can't sit that way! At the ski lake, he takes that seat out, so no biggie, but when the family is out, quite irritating. (it is there to support the seat in a higher position-making a sundeck)

The cooler in the walk through area is nice at the ski lake providing an extra seat; but an irritant with kids etc having to step over/through it when out for the day.

The ski wake may be better in the MC 197, but depends on weight/distribution, etc. They're very close and both very good. Which is better at 38 off I have no idea-not my turf; but at 15, 22, 28 off very subtle differences.

The malibu is much more refined and has better creature comforts:

Access to towels/etc behind the passenger seat is a rear seat cusion lift up on the LXi; on the MC the seat back and entire seat has to lift up in one piece, so everyone has to move to get to this area.

The rear storage is deeper and bigger in Malibu; 2 ski's and tons of gear fit; in the MC, less fits here.

The open bow is much larger in the Malibu, small kids only in MC

Malibu is 3.5 inches wider

I got the Power wedge with Malibu, N/A with MC;

In conclusion, my last two boats were MC, very nice, enjoyed them. I switched to Malibu, and I have the better boat for me

Whats with the malibu decal near the back? Is it the picture or is the M black and the rest not?

It's just a reflection: I think of the post on the trailer

Another photo:

post-2921-1181708098_thumb.jpg

Edited by SKI LVR

One thing to keep in mind is that MC has two different molds they use to make the 197. One is for the team boats, like the promo guys and what you would have used at Picko's, and another one that they use for the general public. Makes no sense to me, but there is a difference, the team boat has a lot more hook in the back of the hull and skies completely different. If you want a good skiing boat make sure if you buy the MC that you get one from the correct mold.

I didn't know one could get an illusion tower on a DD. Nice looking LXi!!!

Go test drive/ski both boats. I think you will find that Bu's are a lot plusher and more comfy inside. Just my.02

The 197 is a great skiing boat, as is the RLXi. I spent a fair amount of time behind a 197 last year and really like the way it skis. My RLXi is a more family friendly boat, esp in the bow area.

I just got home from a tournament I skied today. It was a three pull event and I skied behind three different promo boats-SN196, 197 and the new RLXI. I was excited to ski behind the Malibu-this was my first opportunity to ski behind it. I ran 2 @35 off behind the SN, 2.5 @35 off behind the 197 and 1 @35 off behind the RLXI. I skied behind the Response last. Honestly, the boats were a non-factor. They were all great.

I liked the looks of the Tournament Edition MC197 the best. It's a sweet looking boat. Althought the RLXI was pretty sweet as well.

My opinion.... If you like to board as a second activity, don't look past the RLXI. It gives you all the room with the wedge and tower you have a boat that will do it all for you.

I just got home from a tournament I skied today. It was a three pull event and I skied behind three different promo boats-SN196, 197 and the new RLXI. I was excited to ski behind the Malibu-this was my first opportunity to ski behind it. I ran 2 @35 off behind the SN, 2.5 @35 off behind the 197 and 1 @35 off behind the RLXI. I skied behind the Response last. Honestly, the boats were a non-factor. They were all great.

I liked the looks of the Tournament Edition MC197 the best. It's a sweet looking boat. Althought the RLXI was pretty sweet as well.

My opinion.... If you like to board as a second activity, don't look past the RLXI. It gives you all the room with the wedge and tower you have a boat that will do it all for you.

Threadjack- Great job Rip!!!!!! I bet you had a great time running those kind of scores!

I agree with Rip's assesment with the boats of last year- I've only skied the new MC197 fo rthis year- the bu dealer/promo folks are keeping the new boats pretty close to the vest and I haven't been to any tournaments this year for any new 196 but that boat is unchanged.

rip, did the 196 have zero off?... id think not but ill ask anyway.

by the sounds of it CC have dropped PP and only gone with ZO only. The work of andy.. big move IMO but time will tell if its pays off for them!

No. They were all Perfect Pass.

Rip

rip, did the 196 have zero off?... id think not but ill ask anyway.

by the sounds of it CC have dropped PP and only gone with ZO only. The work of andy.. big move IMO but time will tell if its pays off for them!