Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need info on Tantrums

wildroot56

Hi, I'm looking for some info on Tantrums. I bought a brand new '99 Sunsetter LXI, kept it for 5 years and sold it. Been out of boating for a few due to necessity (two kids in College) but now trying to find a way back in.

I am looking at 4 or 5 '96 Tantrums priced between $10,000 and $14,000. I'm curious about the original cost of these boats. I'm having a hard time justifying that upper range as I keep coming back to the fact that these are "bare bones" boats and the '96s are still 11 years old. It's one thing to buy an 11 year old BMW but quite another to buy an 11 year old KIA. I realize it's a Malibu, but just the same....Anyone have some real knowledge about this model and it's value? Do they have a quality engine/hull, known problems, etc..,?

Thanks

Edited by wildroot56

I think I have to agree with you. Those prices seem high to me. I would look for an early Echelon. They seem to be around that price range (Maybe a little higher), but the Tantrum was an entry level boat and the Echelon was the top of the line. Just my 2 cents as a former Echelon owner. Good luck! I have 2 kids in college too$$$$$$ Cry.gif !

I've got another alternative to the bare bones Tantrum just under $10k. I've got a 1994 Flightcraft Sportster (by Malibu) for sale in Austin. It's much more plush than a Tantrum. I used a friends 1994 Echelon LX back in the day, and like the Flightcraft just as much. I upsized to a Sunsetter, so I need to sell the Flightcraft. Its a great boat for the price! Check out this add for more details: http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/350477957.html

Thanks,

Brian

The Tantrum is a Sportster with a different interior and windshield. The hull and deck are virtually identical. If that's the size boat you're looking for, I would say try to find a Sportster. The Echelon suggestion is also a very good one. Those essentially have a slightly bigger version of the Sportster and Tantrum hull but with more amenities. The Flightcraft Sportster is an awesome boat too. Definitely check out Brian's. I'm not sure how they're outfitted, but I'm sure they're nicer than the Tantrum. I really don't care for the Tantrums myself... Too 'out there' for me. Can tell it's from California. :)

Edited by UWSkier

Here's the one I was looking at...Has lots of extras, but $14,000?

Edited by wildroot56
'96 Tantrum

Here's the one I was looking at...Has lots of extras, but $14,000?

the seller just bought a 2005 centurion on ebay in may, paid 32000 for it. At 14000 (I assume this is his reserve) he is only paying 18k more for the 2005. view his new boat here: 2005 centurion sold on ebay

I don't know much about the tantrum or the echelon but I do know the guys and gals on this forum are very knowledgeable and it is worthwhile listening to what they have to say.

Echelon is the top end boat for Malibu in it's era (93-97). The Sportster / Tantrum is the entry level version in pretty much the same era. A few differences between them drove a higher price for the Echelon, much nicer interior, the LX has a walk through hull to the front open bow, three fins compared to two standard for better tracking and with a slightly different size, the Echelon has a softer wake. You can find some comparisons if you peruse this or the Wakeside Ride website. The Sportster is an excellent barefoot boat, but so is the Flightcraft. The Echelon is also considered one of the best inboard barefoot boats. The other option is a Response, which has the same SV23 hull as the Echelon and is the replacement for that boat coming out in 96. You can find any of these boats at the higher end of the price range you mention and in my book are excellent bargains.

I'm looking for mostly Wakeboard, beginner to intermediate. I really liked my Sunsetter LXI but I just can't pony up for another one at this time. Some of those boats mentioned are just a little too small, 17'- 18'. That's why I was looking at the Tantrum, they're a little longer and at this point, I'm not so hung up on all the bells & whistles. Do you know anything about the motor on the Tantrum?

Thanks for all the info.

Edited by wildroot56

I owned a 1996 Tantrum that I bought new in November 1995. It was a great boat. It did lack a lot of the creature comforts of the higher end Malibu's (no stereo, lexan vs. framed windshield, etc) but it was a great skiboat. It only weighed 2100 lbs dry and was very fast even with an engine of lesser horsepower. Most Tantrums were sold with the Mercruiser 350 Magnum that put out 265 hp. This was an upgrade from the 240 hp base engine. The first generation Monsoon (320 hp) was also available. These were carbed engines (except for the Monsoon) that required a little more effort to start cold than todays EFI engines.

These boats did ride hard in rough water, as did many skiboats of that era. The wedge was not available back then, but you could put a tower on it aftermarket. The rear seat was easily removable so there is room for a ballast bag behind the engine for wakeboarding.

If I remember correctly, the boat retailed for about $16,000 with a single axle trailer. If any accesories (bimini top, stereo, engine upgrades, etc) were added, the price obviously went up. Most Tantrums probably were sold in the $17-18,000 range. There was very little markup on these boats, so they pretty much sold at retail price. Malibu made about 300 Tantrums a year from 1995 - 1997, when it was replaced by the Sportster.

If you find a Tantrum in good condition, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It is a better skiboat that wakeboat, however.