Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake limits to 21' and under

2Tuff

Thanks to new rules at my lake, just having the boat titled as a 21' is not good enough (used to be able to get in with 21'6" as long as the title stated 21'). So, now my choice of boat to buy (Wakesetter XTI 21 on a Diamond Hull) is out of the question. I am wondering what you all think of the Ride XTI vs. the Wakesetter VTX. I wanted to stay with DD for slalom and handling but still get a good wakeboard wake. I am leaning towards the Ride XTI because of the DD, and price is cheaper too for that matter, but I am worried that the wakeboarding will suffer? Anyone have one of the Rides than can give input on the wake?

Take the money you save buying the XTi and buy some ballast. Demo the VTX on the diamond hull though too. That might surprise you just how good the slalom wake can be for a V drive.

The Ride series is over 21'. It's like 21'5" or something like that, so if your lake limits you to a max of 21', then your only choice is the VTX. I have a vRide and love the wake it puts out for wakeboarding. I don't ski, so I can't comment on that. But the hull on the ride series is the same hull as the pre-05 wakesetters.

No, the Ride series is 21' even, without the platform (I think that you're thinking of the old SLXI classic at 21' 8"). The newer 21' boats on the V25 hulls are 21' 6", but the Ride series is on the SV23 hull which is 21' even.

No, the Ride series is 21' even, without the platform (I think that you're thinking of the old SLXI classic at 21' 8"). The newer 21' boats on the V25 hulls are 21' 6", but the Ride series is on the SV23 hull which is 21' even.

First off, how do you know so much about Malibu's Tracie?

Second, that really sucks your lake doesn't let you have any boats bigger than 21'.

Yeah they were grandfathered in - adding to both my believing that it was possible since I see the 21+ boats out there, and my frustration that I can't have one Cry.gif

Dumb question....But is the 21.5 with or without the swim platform? Seems like you could remove it. Get on the lake. And maybe someday put it on (like next week).

MalibuNation
Yeah they were grandfathered in - adding to both my believing that it was possible since I see the 21+ boats out there, and my frustration that I can't have one Cry.gif

One more question ... does it apply to just speed boats ... what about pontoons? Every once in awhile ideas like this pop up on my lake.

Thanks to new rules at my lake, just having the boat titled as a 21' is not good enough (used to be able to get in with 21'6" as long as the title stated 21'). So, now my choice of boat to buy (Wakesetter XTI 21 on a Diamond Hull) is out of the question. I am wondering what you all think of the Ride XTI vs. the Wakesetter VTX. I wanted to stay with DD for slalom and handling but still get a good wakeboard wake. I am leaning towards the Ride XTI because of the DD, and price is cheaper too for that matter, but I am worried that the wakeboarding will suffer? Anyone have one of the Rides than can give input on the wake?

I didn't have an XTI, but I did have an '04 Wakesetter direct drive which is for all practical purposes the same boat. To be blunt, yes, the wakeboarding wake will suffer vs. the vdrive (although I'd be willing to bet that the XTI would fair better on the wakeboarding side than the XTI on the diamond hull). Stock for stock in that area, they don't compare. With the reports that are coming in on the new VTX on the cut diamond hull, I would take a hard look at that boat. Our one member that used to have a Sunsetter LXI that now has one of these boats said that it handles as well as the old Sunsetter & that the ski wake is just about as good. If all of that is true, then the only real downside would be the cost.

Toons are limited to 24', fishing boats (flat bottom) are 14' I think :unsure: and the speed boats are 21'. Thanks for all the replies, I hope to get out there and try out one of each and see how the preform. Even though my heart was set on keeping the direct drive, looks like my best bet may be to suck it up and pay the difference for the v-drive.