Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Miss - 320

A friends new 2007 Reponse LX with the Indmar LCR 320 engine and the Malibu cruise control has a miss during a hard corner. It appears to hesitate just for a fraction of a second when more throttle is needed while turning with the cruise engaged. Anybody know what is happening or what a possible solution might be?

It is a hard miss? If so then it's electrical not fuel, could it be that the cruise is adjusting the speed for that split second? It doesn't do it when going straight? What about on slight turns?

Hard turns, both directions. Hard miss, short duration (less than 1/2 second), sounds electrical not fuel, appears to happen with cruise engaged when it needs more throttle (hence on turns only, not in a striaght line) and it asks for more throttle on the bar graph on the display. Not a 100% occurance but pretty frequent. Fuel level does not seem to matter, a dealer indicated that might be the problem with the new style tank. It appears to me to potentially be a software problem, perhaps a communication problem between the cruise and the main ECU. Anybody else have a similar problem?

I noticed the same thing when the cruise is engaged on "speed-mode". No problem at all when the Speed control is on RPM mode. Must have to do with the precision speed control - speedo pick up.

I don't care b/c I prefer the RPM mode which is more accurate anyway.

Funny, I just noticed the same thing this weekend, I was actually going to start a thread. I too have a Response with the 320 LCR (2006). I noticed this when pulling a footer in speed mode, when I turn (180 degrees), I lay back the throttle to maintain the same RPM as before the turn to avoid wiping out the skier and 1 out 3 times, it would sort of "kick" for a fraction of a second. When my buddy drives me, it does it all the time. Dontknow.gif

I noticed the same thing when the cruise is engaged on "speed-mode". No problem at all when the Speed control is on RPM mode. Must have to do with the precision speed control - speedo pick up.

Do you shortline ski the course with the boat? I suggested the RPM mode to the owner but he did not think it would be as accurate, but you indicate better accuracy, is that when skiing the course? I noticed that we needed to set the set speed up a couple of tenths on speed to maintain a proper time skiing the course at 35' off. The speed seems to vary about 1 mph, maybe a bit more. How close does the rpm-mode hole the speed? Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like this is not an isolated problem, but a software issue with the cruise control.

Do you shortline ski the course with the boat? I suggested the RPM mode to the owner but he did not think it would be as accurate, but you indicate better accuracy, is that when skiing the course? I noticed that we needed to set the set speed up a couple of tenths on speed to maintain a proper time skiing the course at 35' off. The speed seems to vary about 1 mph, maybe a bit more. How close does the rpm-mode hole the speed? Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like this is not an isolated problem, but a software issue with the cruise control.

Unfortunately we don't have access to a course. :( So all we do is free skiing. Once dialed in with a handheld GPS the rpm mode is, I would say 95% accurate. The only downside is that it depends on the weight/pull of the skier. So you have different RPMs for every skier/rider. I absolutely don't like the behaviour of the speed-mode while turning. Doing right turns it accellerates like crazy, doing left turns it slows down (might be vice-versa, I did'nt use this mode much often). With the RPM-mode it slows down a bit, but in both directions, which is fine for us.

I think it's a software problem somewhere between the paddlewheel and the Precision Speed Control unit itself.

HTH

David

P.S.

Where do I find the Spell Check again? :blush:Innocent.gif

I noticed the same acceleration issue on turns. We notice since we turn to enter the course so it speeds the boat up just as we pull out for the gates. I will have to pay attention to see if it is directional, I believe this boat is similar, a right turn accelerated the boat. That is probably due to the paddlewheel not being centered under the boat, so it reacts differently on left v right turns. Your assumption appears to be correct based on my research to date, there appears to be a communications problem between the paddlewheel and the Malibu Cruise or it to the ECU, although that is one unit but there are several tables for throttle actuation. Hopefully, Malibu will have a fix for the problem. I agree, coming up with individual RPM settings for each skier would be annoying.