Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a boat! Thoughts appreciated.

JoeZ

So, my family is planning on buying an '05 vride, I hear lots of great things about Malibu's and I'm very excited. Finding the boat was pretty much up to me since I'm the one who will be primarily using it, my budget was 40k and with so few good condition used boats available that are relatively local I think I did alright for our first wake boarding boat. It comes with: Titan tower, 3 ballast tanks, manual wedge w/trailer and only 21hrs! for 38k, any thoughts?

We test drove the boat last Friday and I love it, good deals are very hard to come by especially this time of the year, and with 21hrs this thing is brand new. I am buying it from a dealer near our lake house who claims the boat is being sold just because the guy who bought it originally never used it and it was collecting dust in his garage, the dealer is the original supplier. The original sales price of the boat was apparently 48k.

Only thing I'm bummed about is the fact that the salesman told us it had more options than it really does (ie cruise contrl among a few others) but it doesn't. We'd be taking delivery this Wednesday so any thoughts would be appreciated.

The way I look at it, this boat has 21 hrs, 3 tanks, wedge, trailer, tower, and sat around for 2 years so I could save 10 grand.

Can't wait to hook up an amp/sub, some tower speakers and be yet another annoying loud boarder on the lake with his friends!

Need some input!!!

If he told you it had perfect pass and you agreed to buy it with that as an option I'd make him install it for you on his nickel. He's making money on that boat. I'd call him on it. Sounds like a pretty decent deal, as long as you're happy that's all that matters. Make sure the 10 & 20 hour service was done at the dealership. Ask for the service records for that boat for the dealer. All the other guy did was break it in for you.

I'd bet you could get an 07' for around that amount(within a couple G's). Call Andy @ Chessie Marine in N. Maryland 410-620-BOAT and tell him what you are looking at and I bet he'd be somwhat about there on a new one. Give him a call its worth a shot.!

Sounds a little on the high side - you should be able to work it down a little. Does it have the Monsoon engine? Trailer a single, or tandem axle? Assuming its Xtreme Marine, I had heard a rumor that they weren't a Malibu dealer any more (could be completely untrue, but its what I heard) - just make sure you have someone that can service it for you.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal, but if the salesman says it has cruise or this and that hold him to it. I would tell him you need a couple days to think about it, but I wouldn't consider that a bad deal.

Yep, we tried to hold them to it... they gave me the whole "oh well we don't own the boat we're only brokering it so we're not getting the money we usually would out of it otherwise we'd consider it." The boat also apparently doesn't have racks which we were told it did and they were just taken off during winterizing... they're at 37g now, don't know how much more we can get out of them. As time goes on I'm starting to get a sour taste in my mouth... might just go for a new one and call up the guy wakecrashin suggested, the only thing is that we were trying to stay <40.

I am not sure chessie will be allowed to sell you a NEW malibu. Maybe get the hull ID and call malibu they can give you a history of the boat. What other options are you missing?

Edited by johnsvt

Off the top of my head, aside from the perfect pass and wakeboard racks, we were also told it had a remote for the stereo which might be missing, now the bimini top might be missing along with the face of the stereo... these guys need to get their act together!

It seems to me they aren't pushing at all to make a sale... I'm thinking they feel that if we don't buy it someone will especially because nothing else is really available at any of the other local marinas. We have a deposit on it, and we were planning on taking delivery this wed but who knows :(. It looks like they won't even be ready to deliver it on wed. with all these things missing.

The person who first showed us the boat pretttty much had no idea what it was equipped with.... I'm not really surprised I've worked in a few car dealerships and half of the s*** car salesmen tell people is way off base. I'm not too worried about the wakeboard racks, we might be able to have them throw it in.... the perfect pass I was a little disappointed about... when I heard it was a vride I didn't think it would come with it since i believe the option only became standard for '07. Anyway I'm going to be making a few more calls to various marinas in the NE tomorrow, if I can't find anything much better I'll probably go with it.. it is a beautiful, mint condition boat.

Thanks for all the help thus far, keep it coming.

Off the top of my head, aside from the perfect pass and wakeboard racks, we were also told it had a remote for the stereo which might be missing, now the bimini top might be missing along with the face of the stereo... these guys need to get their act together!

It seems to me they aren't pushing at all to make a sale... I'm thinking they feel that if we don't buy it someone will especially because nothing else is really available at any of the other local marinas. We have a deposit on it, and we were planning on taking delivery this wed but who knows :(. It looks like they won't even be ready to deliver it on wed. with all these things missing.

The person who first showed us the boat pretttty much had no idea what it was equipped with.... I'm not really surprised I've worked in a few car dealerships and half of the s*** car salesmen tell people is way off base. I'm not too worried about the wakeboard racks, we might be able to have them throw it in.... the perfect pass I was a little disappointed about... when I heard it was a vride I didn't think it would come with it since i believe the option only became standard for '07. Anyway I'm going to be making a few more calls to various marinas in the NE tomorrow, if I can't find anything much better I'll probably go with it.. it is a beautiful, mint condition boat.

Thanks for all the help thus far, keep it coming.

Price out the missing stuff and subtract from 38K and if they don't want to sell, then stay away. I can tell you that I priced out an 07 and was shown 43999 plus trailer and no options and no discount, that is why I ended up with an 06. Off the top of my head there is smoothwatersports in NY, PA boat shop in NE pa, and east coast flight craft in the NE.

Edited by johnsvt

from Malibu:

Now, when you own an iRide, vRide or Ride XTi you will enjoy a standard Illusion X Tower, 500 pounds of ballast, Precision Pro Speed Control, new custom Ride Series vinyl graphics, a chromed billet dash insert, a new Dino Steering Wheel, polished stainless steel switch panels and a 320 horsepower multi-fuel injected LCR engine.

MSRP is 40,900 w/ trailer according to Malibus website. You can def get one for Loooooowww forties. Plus you get the 3 yr Full warranty and you break it in how you want to!

If the price is only a couple thousand go new, if its 10000 go used. $37-38 for and 05' seems high to me. At $3000/yr depreciation(prob being gentle) that means an 05' will go aorund low 30's.

Depending when it was bought it may only have a few months left on the warranty.

Just my $.02

$37-38 for and 05' seems high to me. At $3000/yr depreciation(prob being gentle) that means an 05' will go aorund low 30's.

I think your a bit off base, personally, BICBW. Dontknow.gif I've got a similar 05 Vride, 38 hours, mint, and I wouldn't take a cent less than $38k right now No.gif . Look around, I've researched many sites recently, and you can't find much for under $40K, at least not fresh water.

$37-38 for and 05' seems high to me. At $3000/yr depreciation(prob being gentle) that means an 05' will go aorund low 30's.

I think your a bit off base, personally, BICBW. Dontknow.gif I've got a similar 05 Vride, 38 hours, mint, and I wouldn't take a cent less than $38k right now No.gif . Look around, I've researched many sites recently, and you can't find much for under $40K, at least not fresh water.

MSRP is 40,900 for an 07. Not saying what you paid was too much, just stating that the MSRP on a new one is right around where the price of your 05' is.

How I see it.....

37-38K used from someone you think is shady and you have to take it to another dealer anyways for service so...

42K for brand new from someone you can trust

I'd go new but that just me!

We just got our brand new 07 vRide with all 3 MLS tanks, manual floating wedge (better than the one on the 05), Precision Pro Speed Control, Mooring Cover, and a single axle trailer for just under $42k. $37k for the 05 seems like too much to me. Call East Coast Flight Craft in Middleton, MA and see what they have. They are a great dealer. We ordered ours back in March and they've probably got some inventory right now, but not positive.

typed it in to nada got this i dont think that includes trailer

PRICING

Low Retail Average Retail

Base Price

$29,840 $34,080

Reported Engine Range: 301 - 350 HP (5.7L - 8.1L)

Total adjustment for your engine(s): $0

Options

Power Boat: SKI BOAT

Wake-Board Tower $1,370 $1,560

Water Ballast System $1,300 $1,475

TOTAL PRICE $32,510 $37,115

MSRP is 40,900 for an 07. Not saying what you paid was too much, just stating that the MSRP on a new one is right around where the price of your 05' is.

Am I missing something then Dontknow.gif ? I've just quickly searched through Onlyinboards.com, boattrader.com, usedboats.com and a couple of other sites, and I've only found two 2005 V-rides, one for $46,000 and the other for $43K, I then found TEN 2006 V-rides priced anywhere from $43,062 up to $47,500.

Obviously each has different options, but unless they are all on Crack, I don't think $38K is an unreasonable price. That is, depending on how many options it has left on it by the time the dealer figures out WTF they are doing. Five grand before sales tax etc.. is still five grand, for a boat that will give him every bit as much pleasure.

Also..... Did the MRSP on the 07 Vride drop this year from 2005-06 model year?

typed it in to nada got this i dont think that includes trailer

PRICING

Low Retail Average Retail

Base Price

$29,840 $34,080

Reported Engine Range: 301 - 350 HP (5.7L - 8.1L)

Total adjustment for your engine(s): $0

Options

Power Boat: SKI BOAT

Wake-Board Tower $1,370 $1,560

Water Ballast System $1,300 $1,475

TOTAL PRICE $32,510 $37,115

+Fuel Injection

+Ski Pylon

+Fiberglass Platform

+Cover

+Stereo

+Board Racks

Low Retail, $35,930

AVERAGE Retail $41,005

And I believe it does include a trailer.

Edited by IceMelted
How I see it.....

37-38K used from someone you think is shady and you have to take it to another dealer anyways for service so...

42K for brand new from someone you can trust

I'd go new but that just me!

Sounds like someone at chessie must like you better than me. When I was there, during boat show season, I was shown 43900 for an 06 vride with a 340 and not a lot of stuff and was told that an 07 would be more. I wish I had taken you with me to buy a boat...I can say their service has been really good thus far.

IceMelted, Over the past few days I've been doing the same thing and getting similar results. I've also searched onlyinboards and any other boat selling sites I could find and everything pointed toward it being a good deal. NADA is on par, and its less than the overwhelming majority if not all pre-owned vrides I was able to find. Now the question is how good of a deal can I get on a new one, if it's close, I mean real close I might go for it.. although this boat is honestly in perfect condition... 21hrs is almost laughable, I have a feeling its going to come down to availability. There's a dealer in jersey we've contacted, but the vrides he's got in stock are pink and a funky blue... so, that's a no. If I have to order one, and miss more than half of the season meh I'll probably go with the '05 to be honest(so impatient). Tomorrow is going to be a big day in the decision making process... I'm going to call all of the dealers that have been suggested so far... thanks for all the help this is more feedback than I expected to receive. Looks like I'm on my way to joining a great community... BUT I'M GETTING SO FREAKIN ANCY lol! I want my boat!

ps - IceMelted- Are you happy with your choice? Hows that wake looking? From everything I've heard and read the Vride can really hold it's own against boats with a much higher $tag. Do you have PP, if not do you feel like you're missing out? If so do you feel like its something you can't live without?

Thanks again everyone, keep the thoughts coming!

IceMelted, Over the past few days I've been doing the same thing and getting similar results. I've also searched onlyinboards and any other boat selling sites I could find and everything pointed toward it being a good deal. NADA is on par, and its less than the overwhelming majority if not all pre-owned vrides I was able to find. Now the question is how good of a deal can I get on a new one, if it's close, I mean real close I might go for it.. although this boat is honestly in perfect condition... 21hrs is almost laughable, I have a feeling its going to come down to availability. There's a dealer in jersey we've contacted, but the vrides he's got in stock are pink and a funky blue... so, that's a no. If I have to order one, and miss more than half of the season meh I'll probably go with the '05 to be honest(so impatient). Tomorrow is going to be a big day in the decision making process... I'm going to call all of the dealers that have been suggested so far... thanks for all the help this is more feedback than I expected to receive. Looks like I'm on my way to joining a great community... BUT I'M GETTING SO FREAKIN ANCY lol! I want my boat!

ps - IceMelted- Are you happy with your choice? Hows that wake looking? From everything I've heard and read the Vride can really hold it's own against boats with a much higher $tag. Do you have PP, if not do you feel like you're missing out? If so do you feel like its something you can't live without?

Thanks again everyone, keep the thoughts coming!

Would an 05 vride have malibu cruise? My malibu cruise holds speed good enough +/- 1mph and is very easy to use.

I don't know if his does, but the model I'm looking at has no form of cruise, I really don't care if it's PP or Malibu Cruise I should have said cruise contrl in general.

I have the malibu cruise on my 07 and I couldn't imagine boarding without it. It's so easy to have others give you a pull and not have to worry about them not being used to keeping the throttle at speed and have to keep adjusting it. Another thing to keep in mind getting a new over used is that with a new one you'll get the new free floating wedge, which has proven to produce a much nicer wake, is much easier to use, and is welded instead of bolted on like the older styles that break.