Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter hull for slalom?

neill

Perform a search for "diamond hull" and it will yield your answer. The direct answer is YES, it can be done...but the XTI on the Diamond Hull is the best bet, IIRC.

Hope this helps,

Hi. we're new to Malibu and are wondering if anyone has an opinion about slalom skiing behind a Wakesetter.

Welcome.gif to the site.

Give us more info. Which Wakesetter are you wanting to know about. Your info says 23LSV. What year is it. The hulls changed on the boats through the years. Some are on Ski hulls and the others are on Wake hulls.

Click here for the Hull chart we have on this site.

For the most part the Diamond Hull is the ski hull and the Wake Hull is for building wakes. There are many people that do both behind both hulls and get along just fine.

Welcome.gif to the site.

Give us more info. Which Wakesetter are you wanting to know about. Your info says 23LSV. What year is it. The hulls changed on the boats through the years. Some are on Ski hulls and the others are on Wake hulls.

Click here for the Hull chart we have on this site.

For the most part the Diamond Hull is the ski hull and the Wake Hull is for building wakes. There are many people that do both behind both hulls and get along just fine.

We're looking at a 2007 with the Wake hull but want to make sure the slalom skiers in the family are happy.

The 21XTi (2007) Diamond Hull is what i have, the slalom skiers i have ride behind a 2007 Response LXI they say its ok as long as you stay on edge going across the wake. If you don't you will get some AIR over the wake.

also I don't fill up the gas tank all the way cuz its at the very back of the boat. 46 gallons = 368 Lbs.

Edited by zilla

IMHO, the 23LSV on a wake hull will NOT make a very good slalom boat. My LSV is on the Diamond Hull and I really like the overall handling of the boat, makes what LOOKS like a pretty decent slalom wake at 28-34mph. And it makes a very NICE wake to board behind. Does require a bit more WEIGHT to get a huge SURF wake, however. Still haven't perfected it.

We're looking at a 2007 with the Wake hull but want to make sure the slalom skiers in the family are happy.

I have a 21LSV on a Diamond hull and love it. Its got a great slalom wake, but with some people\weight and the wedge, the wake becomes good for both surfing and boarding.

I ordered a 2007 vlx with a diamond hull at no extra charge. I skied behind a boat with the same setup and it made my mind up. Granted its not gonna ski like the cut diamond, but we go through the slalom course no problem with great results. You get the best of both worlds and you can fit more people in the boat. Good Luck. Welcome.gif

Wakegirl is dead on! It depends how hard a buoy head you are or if you're a shredder on the board. Like I said, I think I got the best of both worlds with the VLX with the Diamond hull.

Okay. Our original plan was to order the Wakesetter with the Diamond hull. Our 15-yr old and I like to slalom ski. I just tried the course for the first time this weekend and it was UGLY! Our son has been to a ski school for the past five years and his skill is obviously much, MUCH better. We have a few others in the boat that like to slalom but have never run the course. We also have a lot of teenagers that tag along and like to wakeboard and want to try wake surfing. We've been behind a i/o for the past five years so I realize anything will be an improvement. The thing is, we need to be versatile and are itching to get into this new boat! We have test-driven and are ready to get it going. Do we wait some more and order the diamond hull or go for it right now and hope the Wakesetter will be enough?

IMHO, these boats are such a BIG expense (not investment...boats in general are holes in the water you throw money at...LOL! ROFL.gif )

I would wait and get the boat YOU WANT FOR 100% Sure. Sounds like you guys will do at least 50% slalom, so I wouldn't think a WAKE hull thru the course would work very well long term.

Just my $.02/worth...I wouldn't get in a hurry and just get the boat you think will BEST fit your needs.

Hope this helps and welcome to the CRU'!!!

and are itching to get into this new boat! We have test-driven and are ready to get it going. Do we wait some more and order the diamond hull or go for it right now and hope the Wakesetter will be enough?
IMHO, these boats are such a BIG expense (not investment...boats in general are holes in the water you throw money at...LOL! ROFL.gif )

I would wait and get the boat YOU WANT FOR 100% Sure. Sounds like you guys will do at least 50% slalom, so I wouldn't think a WAKE hull thru the course would work very well long term.

Just my $.02/worth...I wouldn't get in a hurry and just get the boat you think will BEST fit your needs.

Hope this helps and welcome to the CRU'!!!

and are itching to get into this new boat! We have test-driven and are ready to get it going. Do we wait some more and order the diamond hull or go for it right now and hope the Wakesetter will be enough?

Plus1.gif

Do you know which length hull you're looking for?

If you have course skiers in the family, get the Diamond hull! It's easier to make a Diamond hulled boat surf and board well than it is to make a Wake hulled boat a good boat for the slalom course.

Do you know which length hull you're looking for?

If you have course skiers in the family, get the Diamond hull! It's easier to make a Diamond hulled boat surf and board well than it is to make a Wake hulled boat a good boat for the slalom course.

Well, our early morning runs are just the three of us. That's when we hit the course. All other times it's 4-8 people. I want more room and we both agree the v-drive is best for us b/c of the entertainment factor. A lot of money to pay for entertainment! Definitely the 23'. Sounds like the diamond hull is the way to go and we may be happier in the long run.

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it better myself. Innocent.gifWhistling.gif

Well, our early morning runs are just the three of us. That's when we hit the course. All other times it's 4-8 people. I want more room and we both agree the v-drive is best for us b/c of the entertainment factor. A lot of money to pay for entertainment! Definitely the 23'. Sounds like the diamond hull is the way to go and we may be happier in the long run.
Demo demo demo before you order or buy.

I couldn't agree more....but where we are the diamond hull on a Wakesetter is not available to demo. In fact, where we are, demos are hard to find for a lot of things (but that's another story). If we demo the diamond hull on another model will it give us the same feel? Sorry. I feel like I'm picking this issue apart.

Demo demo demo before you order or buy.

I couldn't agree more....but where we are the diamond hull on a Wakesetter is not available to demo. In fact, where we are, demos are hard to find for a lot of things (but that's another story). If we demo the diamond hull on another model will it give us the same feel? Sorry. I feel like I'm picking this issue apart.

Not even close to getting to that point. These boats cost a lot of money, you should spend some time researching & picking it apart. If you demo the VLX (21.5) on the diamond hull, that would probably be your closest good comparison. Also, I'm not sure how close Shelbyville, KY is to where you are, but one of our members here (JeffK) has a dealership there. He may be able to help you locate a boat that you could demo. That might be worth the drive, just a thought. And it's possible that we have local members out there that could help you out, although I can't think of any that have that model & hull combo in that area.

This is a tough decision and demo demo demo is certainly the best advice you can have. Some of the boats I’d take a look at are the old Sunsetter LXI ’99-’04, I-Ride (formerly the Wakesetter and Sunsetter LX) 21’ XTI, 21 LSV or the VTX (in floor ballast) on the diamond hull. If you enjoy running the course and wakeboarding these are the boats I’d suggest. They provide a good crossover boat some weighted a bit more to one or the other but offer a decent seating and storage capacity. The only thing the these boats w/ the exception possibly the VTX is surfing, they just don’t put out large wakes for that.

VTX on the Cut Diamond Hull. It skis really well, but still throws a respectable wake. The seating is great for a 20 ft boat.

This is a tough decision and demo demo demo is certainly the best advice you can have. Some of the boats I’d take a look at are the old Sunsetter LXI ’99-’04, I-Ride (formerly the Wakesetter and Sunsetter LX) 21’ XTI, 21 LSV or the VTX (in floor ballast) on the diamond hull. If you enjoy running the course and wakeboarding these are the boats I’d suggest. They provide a good crossover boat some weighted a bit more to one or the other but offer a decent seating and storage capacity. The only thing the these boats w/ the exception possibly the VTX is surfing, they just don’t put out large wakes for that.

True, this was a tough decision for me also. I think I made the right choice, I don't have the best boat for slalom skiing, but from the little time I have been behind it I can make it work for rec. skiing. There are some disadvantages of having a crossover boat, and we all know what those are, but for our family there are reasons to justify it and so far I'm very happy with our choice.

I agree with everything that has been said. The only thing I would take into consideration is your son who is currently running the course. As he gets better the only thing he will want to run the course with is a direct-drive and most likely a Response or Sunsetter classic if you stay with a Bu. I love the entertainment factor of the v-drives along with the wake and surf capabilities as well. However most of my family skis and attempts to run the course so we chose an 02 Sunsetter LXI and we love it. We have a tower and wedge so wake boarding is pretty good with enough weight and surfing....well that takes so much weight that it is just tough to do, although I have seen it done behind SSLxi. As far as entertainment goes, I found all the people who don't have boats and want to go out are happy to go in just about anything.

Happy hunting and as everyone has already said, get what YOU want because you are the one who gets to pay for it.

Thanks for all the input. It's really helped and I feel like we're on the right track with the Diamond hull. Now just to decide on which boat. Definitely Malibu!