Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trouble Starting???

[ Anybody else think it could be related to more ethanol in the gas?

Hard to say. Last year when NJ first went to 10%, outboards were giving many people problems. Mainly with the initial start of the day. Boy I wish I had stock in an engine starting fluid company back then.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VLXRonnie

• electricjohn

• Baddog

• Mike d Wakeboarder

I am having a very similar problem with my 2006 340 monsoon. After it is warm, it will take approximately 1-2 minutes of cranking before it will start. I have already scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out (also to install my new illusion tower Clap.gif ). Will post with their findings.

Any word yet M.W.K.?

I had it at the dealer and they told me there was a voltage drop to the engine computer that was allowing it to reset it self during cranking. They ordered larger battery cables from malibu and I have yet to get a call back saying the are in.

I am having a very similar problem with my 2006 340 monsoon. After it is warm, it will take approximately 1-2 minutes of cranking before it will start. I have already scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out (also to install my new illusion tower Clap.gif ). Will post with their findings.

Any word yet M.W.K.?

I had it at the dealer and they told me there was a voltage drop to the engine computer that was allowing it to reset it self during cranking. They ordered larger battery cables from malibu and I have yet to get a call back saying the are in.

I just got mine back from the dealer and they reprogrammed the ECM. I have not tested it out yet, but I will tell you that I am not holding my breath. I really dont expect the problem to be fixed. We shall see...

No freakin luck...My Bu is still having issues. Since this is going to be the third time I brought it to the dealer, is it acceptable to ask for a lake test? It is starting to be a real nuisance when I am out boarding.

ive got sort of the same problem with my 340 monsoon, it runs rough on idle with heaps of black smoke.

i just replaced the water temp sender and it didnt help, i have the engine sitting on idle at home connected to the tap water. and i pulled the plug for the water temp sender off and the idle gets smother and stops the smoke then i put it back on and it runs rough again.

and if i switch the engine off then try to start it again like its flooded. and it doesnt matter whether the water temp sender is in or out with the start up it just floods the engine.

what else could it be?

would the idle air control have anything to do with it?

There are two water temp senders, one for your gauge and one for the computer. The one for the computer has two wires going to it, the one for the gauge only has one. Did you change the right one?

ive just been trying to sort this problem out and ive been trying a few things, 2 things that make the engine start and run like a new engine, they are.

1) unplug the 2 wire ecu water temp sender plug and stick a piece of wire into the plug(not the sensor) , but when the engine runs, the alarm constantly beeps and the dash flashes the words "water temp 151" and the water temp gauge on the dash goes up to 151 degrees. even though the its the 2 wire ecu plug it must overide the other one wire water temp sensor for the dash gauge and put the dash gauge up.

2)the other way was i boiled a jug of water. then srewed the water temp sender out of the block, plug up the hole with the old water temp sender(i just replaced the sender and its brand new)put the sender into the jug of water with the wire plugged in.

and this still put the temp gauge on the dash over 160 degrees. i even pulled the one wire temp sender off and on and the temp gauge didnt move, so i guess if the ecu temp sensor gets to hot it will override the one wire sensor.

both these ways made the engine start and run like a dream, after i had the water temp sender in the jug i screwed it back into the block, tried to start it again, and the engine struggled and barely started then idle like crap spewing the balck smoke again.

so now i know the engine water temp sensor work because of the jug test.

is my engine running to cold is there a thermostat on the monsoon engine that could not be operating properly??