Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trouble Starting???

You sure it's not tucked in on the right side? I believe they are required by law.

i think they are required by law, but i checkede all over the drivers side of the boat and cannot find one. where on the right side are you refering to?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VLXRonnie

• electricjohn

• Baddog

• Mike d Wakeboarder

You don't have one, Will?

98.3% certain that I do not. I'll verify it tonight.

ya i agree but i am 100% sure that i don't have one, i looked for about 5 minutes.

if i were to get stopped by the police could i get a itcket for not having one? i was thinking that it might be some new law that was passed for 07 that boats do not need them or something like that

I am having a very similar problem with my 2006 340 monsoon. After it is warm, it will take approximately 1-2 minutes of cranking before it will start. I have already scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out (also to install my new illusion tower Clap.gif ). Will post with their findings.

I am having a very similar problem with my 2006 340 monsoon. After it is warm, it will take approximately 1-2 minutes of cranking before it will start. I have already scheduled an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out (also to install my new illusion tower Clap.gif ). Will post with their findings.

Strong smell of gas and nasty blackish smoke when it finally does start? Engine temp sensor.

I await your response. Thanks

I hope it is something as simple as a temp sensor.

I await your response. Thanks

I hope it is something as simple as a temp sensor.

I too am interested. This problem was mentioned alot this year and the temp sensor is a reliable part. It is nothing more than a simple therminster which has no moving parts to fail.

I have a 2002 sunsetter lxi with 375 hours. two summers ago I had this problem all week on vacation - air temps 80 deg F. I threw wet towels on the fuel rails trying to cool them because I was thinking vapor lock. Checked pressure in the fuel rails - was O.K. Called the dealer I bought from -they said vapor lock. visited the local malibu dealer they had no idea about anything malibu.

I nearly sold the damn boat while on vacation figuring what a POS - the mastercraft dealer agreed with me - imagine that!!

Finally got to the bottom of the problem. I took off the fuel line going into the fuel pump - there is a little screen, like in you sink faucet that is cupped. This was full of what looked to be lint. I cleaned it out and walla - problem solved. Apparently the lint created enough resistance that the fuel pump could not develop enough pressure to prime itself. So, how did the fuel rails still have pressure? I cracked the schrader valve - no gauge so I never really checked it properly.

Later I also heard that the fuel pump, being attached directly to the block gets hot. This affects the operation of the pump when hot soaked -fuel pump gets warmer than normal when the engine is stopped after running. Once up and running the engine cools the pump somewhat. alsoheard the quick and dirty fix is to remove the bolts holding the fuel pump to the block and place some wood popsicle sticks between the two to create an insulation barrier - yeah O.K., sure - might try it, makes for a good story if nothing else.

Listen to the pump as it primes - mine takes a second or two and you can hear the whine. When I was having my problem, the pump ran on for many seconds and did not sound quite right. I did not pick up on this right away as I was concentrating on how embarrassed I was sitting at the restaurant dock with the engine cover up cranking away.

Anyways, problem solved - reminds me, I'm about to go on vacation again, might be a good idea to check on this.

Funny thing - the manual never mentions this little screen anywhere - the manual in 2002 is more of a formality than an informative tool.

p.s. I love my boat - last of the big DD inboards that crosses over very well. GREAT ski wake. Only thing close these days is the new MC 214 - nice seating arrangement too.

Any word yet M.W.K.?

Intersting development Dontknow.gif ...I was out Thurs. and decided to use the blower each and every time I started the boat. Turns out that I did not have any problems at all. I don't know if it was a fluke issue or a fluke non-issue. I know you need to run the blower to release the fumes because of the possibility of an explosion. Is it possible that the blower also provides more oxygen/air to the motor for starting Dontknow.gif ? This may not be technical, but more of an observation. Any comments?

Mongo good find on the fuel pump screen Rockon.gif ... I checked the screen on our bu, but it was clean :( . Unless someone comes up with another suggestion, we'll have to get the dealer to look into the temp sending unit.

Mongo good find on the fuel pump screen Rockon.gif ... I checked the screen on our bu, but it was clean :( . Unless someone comes up with another suggestion, we'll have to get the dealer to look into the temp sending unit.

Just buy the sensor and replace it yourself. The Dealer will cost you $100 just to show up.

I have a similar problem but I am not sure if its the same.

I have shut down my engine for an hour or two while relaxing in a freshwater spring where the water temp is always 68 degrees. On the trip to the spring, I am running in 80 to 90 degree air temps with water temps from 70 to 80. When I restart, and it has only happens in the freshwater springs, the engine will run for two to five seconds then stall. Like it's starved for fuel. It will start with a slightly more than normal crank and stall two to four times before it finally runs. This has only occurred in the cooler water of the springs and its has happened more often than not in this situation. Any clues?

Florida right? Must have found the Fountain of Youth.

Your engine feels like it is right out of the factory and assumes it needs to prime first before staying running.

I had an issue with hard starts, nothing like 15 seconds or more though. My dealer said they were finding that the battery cable for the 06 LSV was too short. I'm not sure it sounds like the same thing, because what would cause it to do that after you had been sitting for some time? That does not make sense to me. I didn't notice if my starts were related to time sitting.

My dealer explained it as the too much water down a small pipe metaphor. They stated they had been seeing it quite a bit and actually found the problem with Malibu engineers. They replaced my cable and my longest start is about 4 seconds I would say.

I had an issue with hard starts, nothing like 15 seconds or more though. My dealer said they were finding that the battery cable for the 06 LSV was too short. I'm not sure it sounds like the same thing, because what would cause it to do that after you had been sitting for some time? That does not make sense to me. I didn't notice if my starts were related to time sitting.

My dealer explained it as the too much water down a small pipe metaphor. They stated they had been seeing it quite a bit and actually found the problem with Malibu engineers. They replaced my cable and my longest start is about 4 seconds I would say.

I am not sure that I get what you are saying...Are you saying that when you boat is started their are to many amps traveling through the short battery cable? Correct my if I am wrong, but the shorter the cable the more amps it can transfer through it. To an extent obviously, unless the fuse pops or the wire gets smoked. I know when I was installing car stereos, the gauge of wire needed to transfer to the amps depends on the amount of amperage needed and distance the amperage needs to travel.

Your engine feels like it is right out of the factory and assumes it needs to prime first before staying running.

I guess you could say that because I do feel good when there.

I guess you could say that because I do feel good when there.

See? Goes to show.

Texas has their Secret Spot and now so does Florida.

I've been seeing a bit of this problem here lately myself. It will go ahead and start if you pull out the knob and give it some gas. Anybody else think it could be related to more ethanol in the gas?

Edited by Tom Sawyer