Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning up the surf wake

hyperlitenerd

OK So I have not gotten to doing my new ballast plan in the boat yet, but I found a new ballast setup that is working better. stock rear tank, plus 350# sack, plus 150 cube under the seat, plus center 500 plus bow, plus another 350 sack center, oh and the wedge of course. The wake is much stronger, I can go further back, but the top of the wake still has alot of foam (see picture) Is there a good way to clean this up?

post-52-1181345878_thumb.jpg

1 armed push-ups on a surf board...IMPRESSIVE :lol:
Push-ups...of course. :Doh: I thought he was getting ready to do one of the break-dance shoulder spins on the surfboard. :lol:

This is me behind footin-a's 2004 '23 LSV. He removed the hard tanks & replaced them with 750's. Here we had the port 750 full, a 300 -350 long sack under the port "side seat" full, the stock floor & stock front full & three adults, two teens & two kids in the boat. We also had the new floating wedge down. It actually was a lot cleaner than it looks in my photos. The PP said 9.5. You might try a bit more weight in the back & slow it down. How many peeps were in your boat ?

post-205-1181363656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hman442

I'm working on getting the 750s in the back. I had dad driving, then 3 people my age in the back. When I put more weight in the back, the deck drags in the water, and it seems like that kills the wake. So I'm not sure about adding more weight in back w/o adding more weight up front.

I'm working on getting the 750s in the back. I had dad driving, then 3 people my age in the back. When I put more weight in the back, the deck drags in the water, and it seems like that kills the wake. So I'm not sure about adding more weight in back w/o adding more weight up front.

Justin at Waterskipro.com told me that you can keep your stock ballast and put 750 or in my case 900s rite on top. All you have to do is hook the overflow from the stock tank to the bottom of the new bag, and have the top of the bag hooked to the overflow out the side of your boat. You can fill and drain them from your ballast switch. I just got the bags but gave him the wrong size for the fittings so it will be a few days be for I can try them out. About the clean wave I have not had any luck with the wedge but am still trying. I fill the side rear ballast and locker with two 400s. then I put a side sac across the side seat. It give us a clean wake but its not as long as we would like. Oh we set cruse at 9.6 or 9.8.

I am struggling a bit with my LSV weighting. So does the deck dragging the water really mess it up? Never thought about THAT as a factor...I have 750# lockers, Quad ballast, pair of Vdrive 400#s and a 600# bag. SURELY that is enough. ;-) Just can't seem to get it LONG...most people claim putting weight in the nose will make it longer but on the Diamond, not sure. Had the 750# full, mid/front, 400# bow, 400# rear seat, 600# along the side on the floor. NO WHERE near as good as just the 600# along the side seat.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but it is on the same topic.

2) Whats with the wetsuit? Dontknow.gif ... that has got to be hard to do those push-ups with that walrus suit on

It's just a 2mm top, the water was a bit nippy and it was windy that day, so it helps me being the delicate flower that I am.

I am struggling a bit with my LSV weighting. So does the deck dragging the water really mess it up? Never thought about THAT as a factor...I have 750# lockers, Quad ballast, pair of Vdrive 400#s and a 600# bag. SURELY that is enough. ;-) Just can't seem to get it LONG...most people claim putting weight in the nose will make it longer but on the Diamond, not sure. Had the 750# full, mid/front, 400# bow, 400# rear seat, 600# along the side on the floor. NO WHERE near as good as just the 600# along the side seat.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but it is on the same topic.

Putting the ballast up in the center helped our wake so much!! it is still feels as big, but it is much longer, and easier to stay in it, my little brother can get all the way back to the foam, and come back, given he is like 90 pounds on a my size board.

The deck thing... I'm not sure. On Saturday, I had our boat loaded up with 400 lbs in the bow, 600 lbs in the rear locker, 500 lbs under the side seats, wedge down, and 6 people, all surf-side except the driver. The wake was un-surfable. I had 2 girls move up to the bow to get the platform out of the water a bit and the wake shaped up real nicely. Taking about 200 lbs and moving it forward 6 feet changed the wave from an unsurfable foamy mess to a nice long high wave. I attributed it to the platform acting like a groomer. Load up that bow!

Edited by UWSkier

The way we judge proper bow ballast is -

enough to just barely keep from chili dipping MOST of the time -

its oK to do the dip some of the time.

Guess I am missing some LINGO...."chili dipping"?

Oh and your pulling at 9.5-10mph? Been going a bit fast I guess...we ride at 10.5-11mph but usually doesn't make much difference. Guess we need to weight the boat and PP and look at the wake w/o rider. hard to tell so much about the actual wake with the rider ON the wake.

The way we judge proper bow ballast is -

enough to just barely keep from chili dipping MOST of the time -

its oK to do the dip some of the time.

Guess I am missing some LINGO...."chili dipping"?

Takin' a wave / water over the bow of your boat.

recently, we have increased our speed up to 11mph and 11.5...depending on the wakesurf toy.