Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for '00 SLXi?

CarveItUp

I've heard good things about the CNC props from both companies. I'm convinced now that I NEED a spare prop (and puller kit). Any recommendations for an '00 SLXi with the Monsoon II? Current prop is the factory stainless prop...

Thanks,

Mike

The funny part is that I haven't really noticed any problems with the current prop. I don't know if I need more low-end pull or even which aspects of performance I'd try to tune with it...

Should be interesting!

Our Acme has been good, but I've heard stories of them actually sacking out over time. There have been 2 isolated cases that I know of here in WI where a boat owner suddenly found himself hitting the rev limiter as the blades flattened out. I didn't believe it at first either, but this very trustworthy individual confirmed for me that the prop he saw was indeed out of spec, and it was out of spec evenly. No blunt force damage.

Edited by UWSkier
Our Acme has been good, but I've heard stories of them actually sacking out over time.  There have been 2 isolated cases that I know of here in WI where a boat owner suddenly found himself hitting the rev limiter as the blades flattened out.  I didn't believe it at first either, but this very trustworthy individual confirmed for me that the prop he saw was indeed out of spec, and it was out of spec evenly.  No blunt force damage.

Shocking.gif Not good news, as both of my props are Acmes.

Latest I saw from a reputable source was the ACME and OJ XMP felt similar in low end and midrange, but XMP gave a tich more top end with a few less revs.

Not really b e t t e r . . .

Incomplete testing and under controlled conditions. . .

I have considered a spare or swap many times, but can not come up with a prop that would outperform my standard prop, for my use and conditions. However, if I buy a spare at this point, it will be an OJ XMP. Based on another MBOs tests.

Edited by VinRLX
Our Acme has been good, but I've heard stories of them actually sacking out over time.  There have been 2 isolated cases that I know of here in WI where a boat owner suddenly found himself hitting the rev limiter as the blades flattened out.  I didn't believe it at first either, but this very trustworthy individual confirmed for me that the prop he saw was indeed out of spec, and it was out of spec evenly.  No blunt force damage.

Ouch, that's not good. Did they work with Acme on the problem? What was the reaction?

Not really b e t t e r . . .

Incomplete testing and under controlled conditions. . .

I have considered a spare or swap many times, but can not come up with a prop that would outperform my standard prop, for my use and conditions. However, if I buy a spare at this point, it will be an OJ XMP. Based on another MBOs tests.

How long has the OJ been out? Any idea about its track record?

They are recent. I remember seeing the foreshadowing ads in WSrag about them, but don't remember exactly when they came out. Anyway, hasn't been out long, track record is short, but is a CNC prop similar to the standard ACME.

Wish I could decide a decent reason to reprop or buy a spare. . .

Don't really need a backup. Never even bent one. Which is why I need a reason to buy a spare. No CFO approval without written justification. Cry.gif

Oh gotcha.  Need to find a shallow spot in the lake then....;)

Naw, too risky. Just bend one fin slightly (with say, a ball peen hammer) and then tell her that it's repairable but will never be the same. It will surely vibrate...then straighten it back out keep it as a spare and get that XMP. Innocent.gif

Naw, too risky.  Just bend one fin slightly (with say, a ball peen hammer) and then tell her that it's repairable but will never be the same.  It will surely vibrate...then straighten it back out keep it as a spare and get that XMP. Innocent.gif

Sneaky...I like it!

Mike

(Good idea on the sig...think I'll "borrow" it!)