Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many hours from factory

fever5

Last weekeend we took our Bu out for the first time with the dealer. As I wrote in some other places, I was very impressed with the ride and quality of the Bu. I noticed the hour clock was already at 2. Our boat was ordered in for our local boatshow and to my knowledge and experience with their delivery delay was not set up. I was also told before buying it that they were prepping it for demoing if I wanted to go in a few weeks.

I bring this up because I've read a lot about breaking in a new motor on this forum lately, and most people seem to say the first three hours are pretty critical.

How many hours did your boat come with from the factory? Is my dealer a liar?! Crazy.gif (just kidding!)

Thanks

Last weekeend we took our Bu out for the first time with the dealer. As I wrote in some other places, I was very impressed with the ride and quality of the Bu. I noticed the hour clock was already at 2. Our boat was ordered in for our local boatshow and to my knowledge and experience with their delivery delay was not set up. I was also told before buying it that they were prepping it for demoing if I wanted to go in a few weeks.

I bring this up because I've read a lot about breaking in a new motor on this forum lately, and most people seem to say the first three hours are pretty critical.

How many hours did your boat come with from the factory? Is my dealer a liar?! Crazy.gif (just kidding!)

Thanks

mine had about .2 hours on it......

Mine 0.2 hours.

EDIT: BTW...I got my boat shrinked from the Tenesse plant, so no hours were put on by my dealer.

Edited by 1FootDan

Last boat had about 2 hours on it, current boat came with less than 1 on it. I think that it comes down to what issues come up when they do the water test at the factory as well as whatever the dealer may find when it gets to them. FWIW, I don't put too much stock in Indmar's recommendations on the break in. Anyone that's been to the factory & has watched them do the water tests can see that they aren't following Indmar's recommendations at all, but that's JMO.

Mine was used at a Malibu Demo Day and had 4 hrs on it when I bought it, but I was given a very good deal for that reason and it runs great. I know for a fact it was not broken in as suggested and even the salesguy told me he used to work on them and all these motors are prerun at the factory before shipping out and has seen people run them wide open when they test drive them Surprised.gif I wouldn't worry so much about it. That is why you have warranties Thumbup.gif

Mine was used at a Malibu Demo Day and had 4 hrs on it when I bought it, but I was given a very good deal for that reason and it runs great. I know for a fact it was not broken in as suggested and even the salesguy told me he used to work on them and all these motors are prerun at the factory before shipping out and has seen people run them wide open when they test drive them Surprised.gif I wouldn't worry so much about it. That is why you have warranties Thumbup.gif

Yes, they do. They flog the h@ll out of them at the factory, that's one reason (among many) why I've just never worried about the recommendations from Indmar. YMMV of course.

As far as break in goes, the pistons & cylinders are automotive, the roller cams are automotive style, as is everything else in the engine. Chevrolet pickups with 5.7s ,etc. didn't come with any stringent break in procedures, so why should a boat. I realize a boat is under constant load, as opposed to a car getting up to speed and "relaxing" a little, but a boat can run cooler with a fresh water supply, etc. so I wouldn't worry about what they did or didn't do those first two hours. It'll be fine, plus it has a warranty. Biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I can't wait to get it on our lake and try it there (and use it more than 30 minutes!)

At the "boat show on the water" in Dallas I drove an 07 RLxi with .2 hours on it when I got in it, and we ran that boat through the ringers. Nobody at WSA seemed too concerned about break in protocols, other than "don't run wide open for more than a few seconds."

the factory here in aus tests the boats on our ski lake. do you know what WOT means? Whistling.gif

i wouldnt worry about it too much. the factories have to make sure they work, every boat gets the same treatment. as long as you go more by the book when the boat is in your hands your fine.

from what ive seen boats that have ballast systems, PP, showers and the like have more on the clock than those boats who dont. like i said, they need to test everything out.

if it was more like 4 hours id be asking questions...

As far as break in goes, the pistons & cylinders are automotive, the roller cams are automotive style, as is everything else in the engine. Chevrolet pickups with 5.7s ,etc. didn't come with any stringent break in procedures, so why should a boat. I realize a boat is under constant load, as opposed to a car getting up to speed and "relaxing" a little, but a boat can run cooler with a fresh water supply, etc. so I wouldn't worry about what they did or didn't do those first two hours. It'll be fine, plus it has a warranty. Biggrin.gif

I could hardly imagine a car company asking the ownwer to stay in first gear under 2000, 3000 and 4000 rpm for the first 10 hours... I wouldn't want to live near a car dealership... imagine the traffic!

Seriously, I find that for the price we pay these toys and if you plan to keep it a long time, following the break-in period is just putting chances on your side.

I am a barefooter and I didn't find the break-in that bad. Except the first hour under 2000 rpm (which I spent shinning the dash and washing the vinyl at the same time...) I did some shoe skiing until I got to the 4000rpm then I did some 2 foot until I could go WOT.

It is nice to say that it is under warranty, but if you beat the crap out of it and your engine does run smoothly, the dealer cannot do anything for you because the engine is running... IMO. Not to mention all the trouble of not having your new boat while at the dealer.

Edited by 1FootDan

I have paperwork from (i'm guessing) Indmar showing an E.F.I. test run on my motor. The engine was run at idle, 2000, 3000, and 4000 rpm and was warmed up to 135*. How long this took, I don't know. I am also guessing this was done before the engine was mounted in the boat, so there is some time that will not be showing on the hourmeter. I did open my boat up during the test ride, but briefly.

Edited by electricjohn

Thanks

Fever5, I see you're from Ontario, where did you buy your boat? I understand the Malibu dealer has gone into receivership and can't order new boats. The rumors also suggest they aren't coming good on a lot of their boat show orders... thanks