Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water Pooled on Cover

I went to do some work on my boat (install the new PRO60X's Thumbup.gif ) and when I got to the boat, there was about 10 gallons of water pooled on top of the cover. It's the cover that has one pole in the middle and the two ratchet's on the back at the transom, I think the Commercial Sewing cover that's trailerable. Anyone else have this problem? It seems like the pole is not high enough to have the water roll off the sides. The weight of the water actually pulled the velcro apart that wraps around the tower legs. When I went to try and get the water off, half of it ended up going in the holes for the tower and into the boat Mad.gif

The pole only has one height setting. Has anyone else had any problems with water pooling on their cover, and have any solutions? I'm going to talk to the dealer when they open today, because $400 for a cover should not give me this.

my friend has a centurian enzo with one pole and he has problems with water pooling. my cover on my VLX has 3 poles. 1 in the front and 2 in the back.

This is my 3rd season with my boat and the first that I got the combination of poles and straps right to stop water pooling. I keep my boat on an Hydrohoist lift so its exposed to weather, the cover always sagged just a little in the corners just infront of the sun deck. If it rained hard enough it would collect enough water to fill the cover, collapse the poles and begin filling the boat....once so much water collected that it dropped the lift into the water. I now use 4 poles and I lift up the ski pole and I have 4 straps on each side keeping tension on the cover....Finally got it going this winter and so far so good...it is a PITA to get all that up after a set but its better than bailing out water...next year, NEW COVER!

Have you tried to leave the ski pylon up at the same time? Just an idea. Also, my CS came with two poles (one for the bow and one for the back) - they are of different lengths.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/malibu/viewArticle.php?id=154

This is a good article on building a cover support. The pics don't seem to display unless you click on them, but they are there. I made my own variation of this, and it has worked well. I have never had a cover that would not sag without some modification.

/Steve

My problem had been water that pools in the back half of the boat. What has helped for me is to lift the front of the trailer as high as it will go, using blocks under the trailer jack wheel.

Unfortunately a winter ice storm caused a pocket to be formed in the cloth. Will washing the cover get it to shrink to remove the pocket?

My 2006 RLXI and the factory Malibu cover with two ratchets at the back does the same thing. What is really strange is that I usually only pool on one side. But the pole is definitely not tall enough, but at the same time.. If it was taller, I am not sure the cover would fit right. I am considering buying one of those temp garages that I can back it into. Once I get my tower installed, I am having custom snap travel covers made for it. Those are generally much tighter.

The water is pooling right in in front of the back seats (v-drive). The cover is very tight in the bow so no problems there. The pole sits right in the middle of the lounge area. I talked to my dealer and they said that sometimes if you don't have the ratchet's as tight as they can go and get a real hard downpour (which we did earlier this week) then the water can start to pool. They said if I have the problem again or even if I don't have the problem again and want them to, they will get me a taller pole to try and fix the problem. I think right now the cover is stretched out a little bit from the gallons of water that were sitting on it for a few days, so once the sun tightens it back up I'll see how it looks. I think about 6 more inches on the pole will be a good solution.

Also, about the ski pylon, I think if I left it up, it would actually creae more of a pocket for the water to collect in front of it, but I'm not sure. I'll definitely try it out next time I put the cover on.

jtrovato, exact same issues I had...I bought a higher pole, did not fix the issue... does your cover have extra built in snaps for additional poles??? Mine has 4 total, one in front and 3 in the cabin area...I use them all, 1 in bow, 2 in the floor area and one on the rear seat and I put up the ski pylon.

scott

I built on of the PVC support systems, very easy, and works great. I glued the main joints but left the wings, so to speak unglued. I do not get water anymore, and the interior of the boat breaths more, espcially if I have pulled the plugs and through a fan in there!

the PVC support works the best, and is very easy to make and modify as needed. I had that overton product that someone mentioned about. lasted about a week once a good rain storm hit it. overtons refunded my money.

Do you guys only have one pole in the passenger area. My cover came with three, starting from the drivers seat back to the v-drive. Mabey you can put a couple more snaps, with some more poles. I put the first one, by the drivers seat all the way up, then go back pulling each slightly lower. The ploblem is that the cover seperates from the tower with the poles up letting water in there. To fix this I sewed a strap by the tower opening, and wrap it around tightly to keep the cover against the tower to keep water out. It's still pools on the sides a little, but not much.

Has anyone else had any problems with water pooling on their cover, and have any solutions?

I've always had trouble with my covers doing this. I now use one of these:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/de...066&aID=13A

It is a pita to set up usually, but it works great.

I have one of those gathering dust in my garage. I absolutely hate it. The only reason I haven't thrown it out is that I figure I'll use the straps & material for something else some day Biggrin.gif

I also tried poles at first (before the overtons's gizmo). What a pain.

Like jgouveia3, I built my own PVC cover support based on the original rutat design - it works 1000x better than anything else.

Edited by Addictedto6
Its a boat for crise-sakes - its OK if it gets wet - really its OK.

It's not OK when the boat gets filled with pollen, leaves, bugs, and any other debree that flies off trees. Or when it sits on the dock for up to a week at a time with the compartments closed and growing mold.

Had the same issue. I did this as described below in Rutats WSR post. Went to a plumbing supply wholesaler. Parts were $8.00 cnd. At that time it was like $.23 usd but now its like $7.75 (sorry couldn't resist). It took me about 20 mins and I'm NOT a handy man. Easy to set up based on your boat model and size.

It really works great!!!!

Good luck

http://www.wakesiderides.com/malibu/viewArticle.php?id=154

This is a good article on building a cover support. The pics don't seem to display unless you click on them, but they are there. I made my own variation of this, and it has worked well. I have never had a cover that would not sag without some modification.

/Steve

Edited by Pondking

I have two of those cheap plasticy bendible flat boards in the back and a pole in the bow, never had any problems.

Its a boat for crise-sakes - its OK if it gets wet - really its OK.

It's not OK when the boat gets filled with pollen, leaves, bugs, and any other debree that flies off trees. Or when it sits on the dock for up to a week at a time with the compartments closed and growing mold.

The cover will keep the debris out and if its a little leaky it will allow air to flow in and out and lte the interior breath a bit.

If its truly watertight then you bet its gonna grow mold. It is impossible to keep a boat totally dry and in the water.

Brad, I agree with you and can deal with a little leak. My problem is the 5 gallons of water that was pooled up on the cover that ended up in the boat through the tower cutouts when I tried to get it off.

Do you think the vents built into the cover are enough to prevent mold from growing if the carpet is wet? My last boat didn't have carpet on the interior so I didn't have to worry about it as much, but I'm worried about covering the boat up with the carpet wet and leaving it for a week at a time. What do you think?

my boat stays on an uncovered lift (the boat is covered). The carpet is wet ALL the time, but I have never seen mold (i just have lots of rust, since its salt air/water/high humidity Mad.gif )

But I have more the mentality of Brad. Its a BOAT, its supposed to get wet. And since I leave mine out in the weather all summer long, I haven't invested a whole lot of money into tunes for the boat, either.

Edited by jgouveia3

I keep mine in a covered slip on a lift with the cover on the boat. Sometimes the wind blows the rain in and water does puddle - sometimes alot of water. But I keep the drain in the ski locker open so most of it will just drains thru and some stays puddled.

But this week a buddy left his boat at my house and we had a big storm. I thought there would be a bunch of water puddled when I went out to clear it but it had seeped thru before I had a chance to clear it. I thought to myself that would actually be better than holding the water the way mine does.

I don't have vents but if we get it really wet I'll leave the cover off and go back to the slip and cover it the next day or so. I mainly keep it covered to keep dirt and spiders out - well and for security. I'm only about 30 minutes away from the marina. But I have had to wetvac it out if I know I can't get back to it in a day or 2. I do get some funk from time to time and just hafta clean it up - specially in the trunks where the 750 lb sacs are plumbed in - never can seem to get them dry.

A little funk from time to time can be easily dealt with - just don't want to let it lead to rot.