Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you buy new glass for the gauges?

A couple of weeks ago I took my boat to Marine shop to get a bunch of chips in the gel coat fixed & repaint the black around the windshield. I brought the boat home & this evening I pulled the cover off & to my horror I noticed all three gauge glass (plastic) are cracked along the bottam edge plus the hour meter is cracked too and one of the switches is cracked where the light shines through!! I've been in my shop for the last hour trying to figure out how in the $#@% something like this could have happened! There is no damage anywhere else, obviously its damage from impact of some kind?? Since the seat was pulled up as far forward as it can go (I never have it like that) about all I can think of is someone at the marine shop let a young kid play in my boat & with some kind of toy or something beat my gauges into submission!! To say it lightly Im not very happy, & left a nasty phone message at the marine shop. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Very frustrated!!

Doug

Might they have used a heat gun to dry gel or paint?

Man that sucks...

Good luck!

Pat

I never thought of that....a very good possibility.

Doug

let us know if they can replace the plastic (but I don't think you can, because they are sealed (??), that is why you have to drill the small hole in the back of the guage if you have the fogging problem). I'd be interested if you can, because I have an annoying scratch on my speedo (no, NOT my bathing suit - that's still in good shape Tease.gif ).

...all three gauge glass (plastic) are cracked along the bottom edge...
You didn't by chance clean the gauge faces with Windex, did you?

My first thought as well. Windex is evil. I had it do a number on a pair of Ray Bans as well. Cracked/chipped around the frames. You could watch it wrecking the glass as the cracks expanded slowly. I knew right away what was happening and got them in some water to stop the expansion of the cracks... but I was still peeved!

My first thought as well. Windex is evil. I had it do a number on a pair of Ray Bans as well. Cracked/chipped around the frames. You could watch it wrecking the glass as the cracks expanded slowly. I knew right away what was happening and got them in some water to stop the expansion of the cracks... but I was still peeved!

Why is windex evil? Good on glass but toxic on plastic??

Baddog- It eats through plastic and deteoriates it at an extremely rapid rate. That is why you cannot use windex on paintball goggles, because then if you are hit in the gogles after using windex, there is a good chance that they could break/shatter causing your eyes serious damage.

What kind of bottle does Windex come in?
Not Lexan.

You're right though. Saying that Windex is evil in regards to "plastics" isn't entirely accurate...but I'm not sure which plastics it won't hurt so I keep it away from all plastics. Yes.gif

Not Lexan.

You're right though. Saying that Windex is evil in regards to "plastics" isn't entirely accurate...but I'm not sure which plastics it won't hurt so I keep it away from all plastics. Yes.gif

Wow, I never new that about Windex! I never use It but maybe they used it in the shop to clean up? Would Windex crack the Depth gauge face?

Doug

Might they have used a heat gun to dry gel or paint?

Man that sucks...

Good luck!

Pat

I talked to the owner of the shop yesterday & he say's they never used a heat gun. He's as confused as I am, but say's he will co-operate & help.....wait until he finds out what a set of gauges & a depth gauge costs!! On another note, I talked to the local Malibu dealer & he's not even sure if he can get new gauges! He sugggested possibly installing the new SS gauge cluster if it would fit?

Doug

A couple of weeks ago I took my boat to Marine shop to get a bunch of chips in the gel coat fixed & repaint the black around the windshield. I brought the boat home & this evening I pulled the cover off & to my horror I noticed all three gauge glass (plastic) are cracked along the bottam edge plus the hour meter is cracked too and one of the switches is cracked where the light shines through!! I've been in my shop for the last hour trying to figure out how in the $#@% something like this could have happened! There is no damage anywhere else, obviously its damage from impact of some kind?? Since the seat was pulled up as far forward as it can go (I never have it like that) about all I can think of is someone at the marine shop let a young kid play in my boat & with some kind of toy or something beat my gauges into submission!! To say it lightly Im not very happy, & left a nasty phone message at the marine shop. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Very frustrated!!

Doug

One of ours was cracked when we got it back after our stereo system was installed and the dealer replaced it, no problem at all....so they are replacable. If your dealer broke them, then they need to replace them. We have a SUPER great dealer - it pays to have a dealer you can trust in!

Windex comes in a PETE bottle, like a lot of other household cleaners and has no reaction. Apparently though, it has a significant reaction on whatever plastic is used in safety glasses and guages.

Windex comes in a PETE bottle, like a lot of other household cleaners and has no reaction. Apparently though, it has a significant reaction on whatever plastic is used in safety glasses and guages.

Ok, if Windex is so bad on your guages, then what do you all use?

Here is the website for the company that made your primary gauges. They are Medallion. Used to be Kysor Medallion. The gauge in your boat has a domed lens, the next generation had a flat lens, and now they use something else. I called their customer support line and ordered a set of chrome bezels for my 2000 Slxi. I have contacted them a couple of times and they were very happy to answer my questions.

http://www.medallionis.com/contact/contactUs.cfm

There is a Malibu tach that will work on ebay right now. He has had it up there for a while. That is the same vintage as your boat. He is wrong that it may work with other boats, but it will work on your bu.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MALIBU-BOAT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Keep in mind that the tach remembers it's own hours. If you swap out the tach the hours will not be your boat's actual hours. I have held out changing mine since my spare tach has 135 hours and my boat has 430 hours.

I have a pair of the old style Lowrance depth and temp gauges I could part with. I replaced them with the new lowrance Depth/Temp gauge (LST3800) so I could have a radio remote in the gauge cluster. It was tough finding the chrome trim ring version though.

http://groups.msn.com/BlueBU67/2000sunsett...&PhotoID=38

And at night.

http://groups.msn.com/BlueBU67/2000sunsett...&PhotoID=37

Good luck with the gauges.

Very frustrated!!

Doug

One of ours was cracked when we got it back after our stereo system was installed and the dealer replaced it, no problem at all....so they are replacable. If your dealer broke them, then they need to replace them. We have a SUPER great dealer - it pays to have a dealer you can trust in!

It goes without saying that whoever broke it should bear the responsibility of replacement. But his boat is a 2000, yours is a 2007. Malibu says that it keeps 7 model years worth of stock for warranty & replacement parts, after that it's really hit & miss. He's right on the borderline, so it may be that he gets a newer style gauge cluster depending on what Malibu has &/or can get.

Contact cleaner/brake clean will cause some plastics to shatter also. I have hit a few things around my shop with the high pressure over-spray a time or two..................

I have a pair of the old style Lowrance depth and temp gauges I could part with. I replaced them with the new lowrance Depth/Temp gauge (LST3800) so I could have a radio remote in the gauge cluster. It was tough finding the chrome trim ring version though.

if Response LX does not need this, I may be interested. My Lowrance depth guage isn't working, and Lowrance response to "How do I test whether its the guage or sender is?" is to send the guage in, and for $49.99 plus shipping, we'll tell you whether its the gauge or not. then from there, I would have to decide to get it fixed!! or send the ducer for testing...

thanks,

John