Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Jack

I have a 2006 Malibu 23', No matter where I park the boat and trailer, it seems as if the trailer jack looks like it wants to break off!

The trailer (boatmate I think) came with a Fulton Swivel trailer jack. It looks like this

7869878.jpg

but I can't find a model # on it. The wheel barely swivels, and the jack when loaded looks like it is at a 10+ degree angle to the trailer!! No rigidity at all. Dontknow.gif

I found similar jacks at West Marine, but the reviewers all complain of the same issues. Are there any quality alternatives out there?

Thanks!

Brian

I have a 2006 Malibu 23', No matter where I park the boat and trailer, it seems as if the trailer jack looks like it wants to break off!

Break off the trailer? I've never noticed that. Sometimes when I need to crank it and extend the jack most of the way, it loks like there's a little bend there. Only when it's fully extended though.

Break off the trailer? I've never noticed that. Sometimes when I need to crank it and extend the jack most of the way, it loks like there's a little bend there. Only when it's fully extended though.

I've noticed that too on mine. I use the Bumper Bob™ Wheel Lock and crank the boat back down after unhooking from the truck and that seems to help.

I don't know about breaking off the trailer, but the upper tube and crank are not perpendicular to the trailer (it leans further away as you look down, and then at the point where the inner tube and outer tube meet, there is more of a bend there. (the 2 tubes don't really fit together too well)..

Extreme trailers (Malibu trailers out west) makes a heavier duty jack I think it is around 1500# v.s. the standard 600# to 700# models. I put one on our 23 trailer when we had it and it worked great. I know they ship parts you may want to contact them. Here's a link

Extreme Click on "enter site" and then the Malibu Logo

I don't worry about it too much. Those things are rated to withstand some serious weight. I do, however, lower it back down after it's removed from the trailer as stated above.

Plus1.gif

You can check, but I was able to swap out the jack (original had severly corroded mechanism) by just removing the c-clip & putting a new one in place. I had to search a little for one with the c-clip attachment, but it really wasn't too bad to find.

Once I have the trailer disconnected, I always lower the jackstand down to ease the tension on it.

Hmm..lowering it to take tension off.. That is a good idea! Thumbup.gif

But then don't you get any water staying up front? I like to keep the tongue high so all water is in the back near the open drain. but even worse, where I park my boat is a little un-level as well. Keeping it all the way up is the only place that I can even get it on and off my hitch!

Once I have the trailer disconnected, I always lower the jackstand down to ease the tension on it.

But then don't you get any water staying up front? I like to keep the tongue high so all water is in the back near the open drain. but even worse, where I park my boat is a little un-level as well. Keeping it all the way up is the only place that I can even get it on and off my hitch!

Get a wood block to put under the jackstand wheel. That way you don't have to lower it so far to get the trailer off the ball and you can store it with the jack in the lowered position and still have the trailer tilted back.

Also, don't try to roll the trailer around when on the jackstand unless it is lowered.

i usually lower the tounge down on a concrete block with a 2x4 or something on top of it. takes all the weight off the jack while it is stored. depending on haw many would blocks u put on top of the concrete block,,,,u could keep the front end up as high as u wanted to keep the water from sitting up front

After taking it off the truck I always put a car jack stand under the tongue of the trailer to take all the weight off the trailer jack stand just because of what everyone has stated. I only use the trailer jack stand to move the trailer a few feet when hooking up and taking off therefor making it last longer.

Edited by vlx wakesetter
After taking it off the truck I always put a car jack stand under the tongue of the trailer to take all the wait off the trailer jack stand just because of what everyone has stated. I only use the trailer jack stand to move the trailer a few feet when hooking up and taking off therefor making it last longer.

exact same thing I do. works great and make it very stable while moving around in the boat.

I

The trailer (boatmate I think) came with a Fulton Swivel trailer jack. It looks like this

7869878.jpg

but I can't find a model # on it. The wheel barely swivels, and the jack when loaded looks like it is at a 10+ degree angle to the trailer!! No rigidity at all. Dontknow.gif

Brian

Mine looks like it's going to give at any moment, but my trailer (Boatmate) has a kind of 'crash bar' welded under the tounge. It looks like it would take the weight and impact of a jack failure and keep the tounge, brake actuator and cables off the ground.

It is also a Fulton, and every time I see them at the Marine store, I contemplate replacing mine, but haven't got around to it yet. The only time the boat/trailer is 'in my possession' and not hooked to the truck is when my valet storage guys haul it out of the building and hook it up for me. So if it fails, it's going to fail at the boat storage place, and they have forklifts to get it off the ground until I could install a new jack, so I don't worry about it too much.

Edited by rts

I also lower mine down on a cement block with a piece of wood on top of it. I put it under the swivel point of the fold away tongue. My tongue wieght is 275 lbs and I too do not trust the jack. Not sure if tandem axles make the tongue lighter or heavier. Anybody?

If you remove the plug in the center of your boat, at the driver's feet, you shouldn't have this problem.

I've found just lowering the jack a few inches will get that 'bend' out and return it to s straight position I'm comfortable with. As long as you're not lowering the tongue to the ground, your midship plug should work just fine.

I never remove my transom plug, just the V drive and the midship every time.

The boatmates will survive a fall from a jack stand... Don't ask me how I know.... :Doh: AND a car jack will let you get it back on the jack stand...

The boatmates will survive a fall from a jack stand... Don't ask me how I know.... :Doh: AND a car jack will let you get it back on the jack stand...

So the Fulton Jacks will fail? I was kinda under the impression they just looked like they were ready to buckle. Maybe I'll put a little more urgency into replacing mine...the wheel has flat spotted, anyway.

Is it as simple as it looks to replace the Fulton Jacks? Looks like just one bolt there in the center.

Not necessarily (anything is possible) - but when you don't fully engage the pin, the trailer and boat makes a really lovely sound when it hits the ground. Been quite a few years since that happened. Fortunately the trailer jack was all the way down (that's how I store it), so it didn't fall too far.

• 11 months later...

Just to add another thing that I've had happen with that type of jack. A few years back, after having the jack about half way down for the whole winter, itwould go up and down at all anymore. We had to replace it, so now we lower it onto a three foot high piece of tree stump and take all the pressure off the jack.

i usually lower the tounge down on a concrete block with a 2x4 or something on top of it. takes all the weight off the jack while it is stored. depending on haw many would blocks u put on top of the concrete block,,,,u could keep the front end up as high as u wanted to keep the water from sitting up front

This is what I always do. I just feel safer with a solid block under the tounge. Plus when I climb in the boat on the trailer is feels much more secure.

My original jack was rock solid, but eventually started to rust. I replaced it with a Fulton and notice the visible stress on it. I'm thinking of getting this jack from Overtons. A bit more expensive, but looks like a higher quality item.

• 1 year later...

No adapters, but they do have an option for a weld-on.

Is your extreme just 2x4 tubing? If so, you can get the appropriate hardware to adapt it to your trailer at an ACE hardware store.

IIRC the F2 ships with hardware for a 3x3 or 3x4 tubing trailer. The mount supports 3" wide when positioned on way & 4" when positioned the other.

I mounted my F2 next to the welded on mount from the old bulldog jack (similar to the one in bmontini's pic). You should be able to do the same (based on the pics from the Extreme site).

WestMarine was the least expensive source I found for F2's when I was looking.

Edited by wienrdog

Regarding not swiveling, mine was doing the same. I supported the tongue with a block, and inverted the jack so the wheel was facing up. Then I doused it with WD-40 several times throughout the day, letting it drip up into the jack. The next day it and ever since (3 weeks ago) it swivels great, it just had some corrosion in it.

I also crank it far down when moving the trailer around with the jack roller, to take the lateral stress off.