Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Attack of the Killer River Slime

Lieutenant Dan

After 4 blissful years of ownership confined to usage only on clean TVA-type empoundments like Norris Lake, Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow Lake, I succumed to the temptation of the largest, nearest waterway - - the Ohio River - - over the weekend.

The good news was that the threat of thunderstorms kept everyone off of the water and we had miles and miles of glass to play on.

The bad new is that when I pulled the boat out, the river scum dried to one side of the hull before I was able to wipe it off with a towel. Now I have a tannish - brownish stain along where the water line was. I tried washing it off today and it didn't phase it at all. I tried a more aggressive soap....nothing. I tried 3M Cleaner / Wax....not a bit removed. Last thing, I tried Meguiar's Color Restorer (ouch...very abrasive stuff) and it takes it off, along with the gel coat itself.

So, it looks like I will need to rub this stuff out unless anyone else has any suggestions?

If I do need to take the mechanical removal tactic, what do folks recommend? How many steps? What products?

After 4 blissful years of ownership confined to usage only on clean TVA-type empoundments like Norris Lake, Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow Lake, I succumed to the temptation of the largest, nearest waterway - - the Ohio River - - over the weekend.

The good news was that the threat of thunderstorms kept everyone off of the water and we had miles and miles of glass to play on.

The bad new is that when I pulled the boat out, the river scum dried to one side of the hull before I was able to wipe it off with a towel. Now I have a tannish - brownish stain along where the water line was. I tried washing it off today and it didn't phase it at all. I tried a more aggressive soap....nothing. I tried 3M Cleaner / Wax....not a bit removed. Last thing, I tried Meguiar's Color Restorer (ouch...very abrasive stuff) and it takes it off, along with the gel coat itself.

So, it looks like I will need to rub this stuff out unless anyone else has any suggestions?

If I do need to take the mechanical removal tactic, what do folks recommend? How many steps? What products?

And just think you actually swallowed it Drool.gif

1:1 mix of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide (yea, the stuff you sterilize cuts with).

Our boat sits in a lake all summer and has a nasty scum line. That mix takes it right off. Re-wax after.

1:1 mix of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide (yea, the stuff you sterilize cuts with).

Our boat sits in a lake all summer and has a nasty scum line. That mix takes it right off. Re-wax after.

AKA Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic. :)

For a commercial product, I have used Slimey Grimey every fall and it is basically a wipe on, let sit for a minute, and rinse off kind of chemical. I always say: better living through chemistry.

dan,

The river is for barges, go to Caesar's Creek or East Fork if you want something closer than Norris or Cumberland. They can be crowded, especially on weekends, but you don't have to worry about having your shots up to date before going in the water. :)

Has anyone tried cutting toilet bowl cleaner 1:1 with water? Or using the toilet bowl cleaner straight? I am just wondering what the hydrogen peroxide does to improve the mix.

Has anyone tried cutting toilet bowl cleaner 1:1 with water? Or using the toilet bowl cleaner straight? I am just wondering what the hydrogen peroxide does to improve the mix.

Don't question the magic, just use the TTT and be done with it. I don't even have to scrub after use, just spray on, rinse off.

Daniel

Don't question the magic, just use the TTT and be done with it. I don't even have to scrub after use, just spray on, rinse off.

Daniel

I will definitely not argue with spray on and rinse off, sounds great. Yahoo.gif

Do any of the MN folks know if it is sold in the Twin Cities area?

Thanks to all! The Toilet Tonic is definitely the "secret sauce" for removing the scum!

Now, does anyone have a suggestion for a good one-step cleaner/wax to use?

Daniel

I will definitely not argue with spray on and rinse off, sounds great. Yahoo.gif

Do any of the MN folks know if it is sold in the Twin Cities area?

Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic is a home brew. Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and Hydrogen Peroxide. Both should be able to be bought at your local grocery store.

Water and vinegar work wonders!!! I'd try it 1st then look to the toilet tonic.

Water and vinegar work wonders!!! I'd try it 1st then look to the toilet tonic.

I tried that also with no results. The TTTT worked wonders.

I've heard of using the water/vinegar mix right after the boat comes out of the water to reduce waterspotting. How much vinegar vs water?

One word, ZING....... I wish I had some before and after pic's. Follow the directions and make sure to wet down the trailer first etc.. keep a hose handy.

Zing

• 4 weeks later...

definitely worked for me as well

and then I use Mother's Carnuba wax for Oxidation. Liquid bottle form. Makes it easy to work with. I do two coats, It lasted about 2 months. Just about time to do it again. Not to mention I wipe my boat down every time after each use and it STILL gets that brownish yellow taint over time. Joys of living on a river.

My boat sits in the river for weeks at a time and develops a nice brown scum line along with the whole hull below the water line changing color. The lysol/hydrogen peroxide mix works amazing on it. I tried it last week for the first time and it took it right off and made it look like new again. Whoever came up with that mixture, thank you!

My boat sits in the river for weeks at a time and develops a nice brown scum line along with the whole hull below the water line changing color. The lysol/hydrogen peroxide mix works amazing on it. I tried it last week for the first time and it took it right off and made it look like new again. Whoever came up with that mixture, thank you!

Thank Tony

The official name is Tony's Topical Toilet TonicTM