Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Celebrate With Me

VinRLX

Very bad pic, I know, but I am freaking psyched!!! Surprised.gif We dropped the anchors and sub-buoys just before the ice went out. Just put the balls on Thursday night. Yahoo.gif

post-30-1180918289_thumb.jpg

That is great, Jack! Believe me when I tell you that once you start skiing the course, free skiing just will not be the same anymore. Good luck!

It's about time. Tongue.gif

Congrats on getting the course. Thumbup.gif Don't forget to still free-ski some (especially early in the season). Six turns and then a rest is a really slow way to get in shape (not that you're out of shape... Whistling.gif ...because after all...round is a shape). ROFL.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Cool! I jones anytime I see a course it doesn't matter where. You'll be banging down -38 by the end of the week.

Thumbup.gif

I just noticed, why are all the buoys green? How do you know which ones are the 55 meter buoys?

Umm, they're the first ones. Tease.gif

That or maybe they're camo so the fisher-types don't think they're a slalom course and cut them off. After we were having problem with course vandalism, we considered making our slalom course out of duck decoys but couldn't find any soft enough. Crazy.gif

Michael, the 6 turns and rest hasn't pertained to me much--been spinning two or three passes per pull up. Although, I won't be skiing today because my body won't let me. :lol: My usual free skiing is up the lake and back @-28, probably ~2 miles total, and would be similar to 4 back-to-back passes through the course.

Matt, set up on the other end is tight, but doable. There is more lake to the right, and we've been getting as close to the dam as is legal, then doing a 'P' turn. You can start from that end as long as you are somewhat close to the dam, or you can start on the right side of it and swing into the course.

Rod, buoys are all green because they are less noticeable. We're trying the keep some semblance of peace with those who oppose having a course on this lake.

All, it has been almost ten years since anyone has tried to put up a slalom course here. A group tried going through the lake assoc. at that time, a questionaire was included in a newsletter, and resulting response was highly negative so the group didn't take it any farther. This time the LA was left out of the loop--A guy up the lake applied and was granted a permit from NYS. He plans to address the LA at a general meeting Saturday, we'll see how it goes. At this point we may take the turn buoys off on weekends during the summer and all of them on the major holidays. I saw one neighbor, the most vocal opponent years ago, the other day and he didn't say a word about it. Not sure if this is good or bad: He's the one we expect to cut the buoys off. Mad.gif

Rod, I don't know that I'll ever get to -38. . .I don't think I'm tall enough! I'd be happy with -28 or -32 by the end of the summer, though I really don't know if that's expecting too much or too little. I've run -15 a couple of times so far at 30-31 MPH. And this after I slowed down and didn't try too hard. Before that I was carrying too much speed into the ball by pulling too hard/beyond the second wake and then trying to turn. I'll get it figured out eventually, just need some experience. I think the longer line/slower speed screws me up as well--just feels different.

I've found ratcheting up my free skiing speed and shortening my free skiing line has made some of the longer length passes seem easier. I free ski at 22 or 28 and at 34 or 36 all the time which makes 15 and 22 pretty do-able at 34 MPH.

I'm thinking I should start free skiing with a wakesurf rope. :)

I just noticed, why are all the buoys green? How do you know which ones are the 55 meter buoys?

Umm, they're the first ones. Tease.gif

That or maybe they're camo so the fisher-types don't think they're a slalom course and cut them off. After we were having problem with course vandalism, we considered making our slalom course out of duck decoys but couldn't find any soft enough. Crazy.gif

OK...but that one ball is going to be really hard to reach if that first set are the 55's!! Surprised.gif

We had the same problem. In fact, one guy had his course mainline chopped up into short segments and...yeah, it was a stainless mainline!!!

About 8 years ago there was this fisherman that would hang out right at 3 ball just to piss us off. He would see us coming up the lake and decide to go into the course and fish. One day we drove through the course and stopped. He didn't move much but he did float far enough outside the buoy line that I felt safe enough to ski it and yet be able to soak him pretty good. Now, this is a guy that was just an A##. I had tried to have a nice talk with him earlier in the season about respecting his fishing area if he did the same for us and we would share the water...NO GO. Needless to say I was a little pissed and skied right down the course and old school cranked 3 ball as hard as I could. The spotter said I couldn't have soaked him any better. Fortunately, he took off and that was the last time I ever saw him around the course. I'm older and on meds now so I probably wouldn't do that today. Crazy.gif

So now I guess there's no excuse for me to not come and visit.

Precisely. Come show me how it's done. After a little skiing, we can sit around and bash our dealer. Oh peter. . . Whistling.gif

Congrats. Thumbup.gif I love the green for the camo effect.

Just curious. What size amo will you be usuing on the unwitting jet skiers who stray a little too far from the herd . . .. Whistling.gif