Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quieter Monsoon Wanted - Help

Slalom Frog

I am considering installing inline silencers for 06 RLXi with a Monsoon. I remember seeing a previous thread that from someone that had installed some inline silencer and had reported some of their findings. I have searched for this thread but have not been able to find it.

Anyone have any experience with inline silencers? Anyone remember this thread?

Thanks,

Mike

We put them in our 2006 RLXi last year and they were great. Check with Peter @ Smooth Water Sports in NY (518-793-5808). I believe he has them in stock.

I am considering installing inline silencers for 06 RLXi with a Monsoon. I remember seeing a previous thread that from someone that had installed some inline silencer and had reported some of their findings. I have searched for this thread but have not been able to find it.

Anyone have any experience with inline silencers? Anyone remember this thread?

Thanks,

Mike

Turn the stereo up louder. Seriously though I can't even really hear mine inside the boat, but I can while boarding or surfing.

My 2006 RLXI is so quiet it sometimes drives me nuts. Occasionally I wouldn't mind a good grunt from the exhaust. I had a friend do a fly by on the dock and turn and burn.. and nothing.. I heard the water splashing only. I sat in the rear seat for a spin once.. and I heard it grunt a little while heading to plane, but then it went away. I have the polished turn down exhaust. They look like they have welded baffles inside. So what is the difference between that and MSST?

Edited by Cougar1

Well, our very own sunriseh20skier was supposed to provide us with information regarding inlines from Rex marine. Unfortunately, he has been slacking and becoming a bit like Tommy Boy®--All talk, no results.

Well, our very own sunriseh20skier was supposed to provide us with information regarding inlines from Rex marine. Unfortunately, he has been slacking and becoming a bit like Tommy Boy®--All talk, no results.

The threads you found were the same as what I could find. I think I was confused about the impending results from sunriseh20skier. Thanks for the effort.

My 2007 RLXI is so quiet it sometimes drives me nuts. Occasionally I wouldn't mind a good grunt from the exhaust. I had a friend do a fly by on the dock and turn and burn.. and nothing.. I heard the water splashing only. I sat in the rear seat for a spin once.. and I heard it grunt a little while heading to plane, but then it went away. I have the polished turn down exhaust. They look like they have welded baffles inside. So what is the difference between that and MSST?

Is your boat really that quiet? No rumble?

Are the turned downs stock or after market?

I was waiting for that poke.

Here's one for you:

:biteme:

My 2007 RLXI is so quiet it sometimes drives me nuts. Occasionally I wouldn't mind a good grunt from the exhaust. I had a friend do a fly by on the dock and turn and burn.. and nothing.. I heard the water splashing only. I sat in the rear seat for a spin once.. and I heard it grunt a little while heading to plane, but then it went away. I have the polished turn down exhaust. They look like they have welded baffles inside. So what is the difference between that and MSST?

Is your boat really that quiet? No rumble?

Are the turned downs stock or after market?

Honest to God... It is really that quiet. I know I should doing the dance that I have a nice quiet ski boat, but I feel it was neutered almost. I love the deep nasty growl of a V8. It kind of sounds like nothing. I was very disappointed in the sound. I shouldn't b****, that same growl can get on your nerves. The water splashing off the hull honestly makes more noise. Only time I actually heard a engine noise is when you head to plane or try to wakesurf and even then it is really quiet. I believe the Turn down tips were an upgrade option from Malibu. From a post above, they sound aftermarket, but I know they were ordered on the boat from the factory. Your guess is as good as mine. My buddies 2006 Centurion Avalanche with Sideswipe exhaust is sweet. But at the end of the day, I would like an option to have it loud or quiet.

Kevin

Have you tried turning the turndowns up? Or sideways?

Sounds stupid I agree, but you never know . . . . .

I suppose so.. but I am not sure if you remove the screws and if they will turn... I will have to look at it.

I decided to order the inline silencers through Peter at Smooth Water Sports. From what I have been told, they should make a difference. Install seems quite easy. I don't personally mind the rumble, it's just the neighbors on the lake that prefer 9 am coffee and paper to 6 am slalom sets!

Thanks to everyone for the input!

I decided to order the inline silencers through Peter at Smooth Water Sports. From what I have been told, they should make a difference. Install seems quite easy. I don't personally mind the rumble, it's just the neighbors on the lake that prefer 9 am coffee and paper to 6 am slalom sets!

Let us know how these work when you get them installed. I'd like to quiet down my iRide a bit as well.

Let us know how these work when you get them installed. I'd like to quiet down my iRide a bit as well.

Not a problem, I will actually try to get a decibel reading before and after.

Took some decibel readings this weekend, prior to installing the silencers. All readings are at 30 mph:

• Someone sitting on the dock with the boat driving away from the dock - 76.1 decibels.
  • Reading from the passenger's seat - 65 decibels.
  • Reading from the rear seat - 90 decibels.

I hope to have the silencers installed this week. Should be able to get the "after" readings next weekend.......

Very cool. I look forward to the info. Also, be sure to tell us of any differences in WOT RPM or acceleration.

Without the silencers I hit around the high 90's during acceleration or deceleration.

Very cool. I look forward to the info. Also, be sure to tell us of any differences in WOT RPM or acceleration.

Without the silencers I hit around the high 90's during acceleration or deceleration.

I mean the WOT RPM on your tachometer, before/after. Also quickness of acceleration before/after. IOW, do the inlines affect performance?
Took some decibel readings this weekend, prior to installing the silencers. All readings are at 30 mph:
  • Someone sitting on the dock with the boat driving away from the dock - 76.1 decibels.
  • Reading from the passenger's seat - 65 decibels.
  • Reading from the rear seat - 90 decibels.

I hope to have the silencers installed this week. Should be able to get the "after" readings next weekend.......

Not to bad, barely need hearing protection. I can't hear my monsoon either....

That is over the stereo... Rockon.gif