Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIC Message: "BAD" -- Engine Fails To Start?

:(

First ride out with our new (to us) 04 VLX. Started fine at the dock, but when we turned the engine off at the sand bar, and attempted to restart -- dead. And a messaged flashed up on the drivers information center (LCD) -- "BAD" -- and then went away. Any ideas?

I switched batteries and the boat started -- but as a test tried the stop/start test and the same thing happened -- dead, (tried twice) and then it caught on the third time.

My owner's manual is in transit -- so I was hoping to get some insight -- battery connection?, battery strength? (althought the alternator shows "13") or could this be a starter, or starter connection.

I need to post two other questions... so I appologize in advance.

Thanks! Olive at Elizabeth Lake, MI

Sorry to hear that Olive. Not a great way to start your summer! :(

Welcome to the site. I'm sure some of the gang here will have some ideas...

I would guess it's a bad starter, battery or connection. As far as the "bad" coming up on the display when you start it, mine does that all the time. I've heard that it is normal for 'bad" to briefly show up when starting. I was worried when I first saw that on my boat too. If you hear of any other reason for the "bad" showing up, I love to know too.

I would guess it's a bad starter, battery or connection. As far as the "bad" coming up on the display when you start it, mine does that all the time. I've heard that it is normal for 'bad" to briefly show up when starting. I was worried when I first saw that on my boat too. If you hear of any other reason for the "bad" showing up, I love to know too.

On my boat, "BAD" comes up all the time, and has since it was new. It's not related to some kind of engine fault - that would be the "check engine" light with some other display in the multifunction gauge, like TEMP or something.

First thing I'd do it go around to all the major electrical connection and tighten everything up. A loose battery connection or a loose ground could cause exactly the situation Olive describes.

"Bad" is normal at key on, AFAIK. Connections as mentioned as above is a starting point. When you say dead, you mean the engine would not turn over but you got gauges, correct? Next time it happens, shift into forward, reverse, back to neutral and try again.

Are you sure it is not showing batt? Mine will show this when cranking the starter at times, followed by a voltage reading of less than 11.5.

Edited by electricjohn

If you switched batteries and it started it can't be a bad connection, unless it was at the battery did you test battery volts before install and after and is the battery being drained? When you shut it off and try to restart do you at least hear the starter solenoid clicking, if you hear nothing it could be that?

If you switched batteries and it started it can't be a bad connection, unless it was at the battery did you test battery volts before install and after and is the battery being drained? When you shut it off and try to restart do you at least hear the starter solenoid clicking, if you hear nothing it could be that?

Hi guys -- I was travelling this week and just got back -- thanks for all the input!

I actually had an opportunity to discuss with the Malibu tech in CA and he sent the following response:

The Malibu Display will show the word "BAD" during key up for a second because during the key cycle the MDC unit takes a second to talk the the gauges. For that split second the MDC thinks there is somthing wrong until it receives the signal. That is completely normal for the display to do that.

Darren Silva / Malibu Boats

"Darren" was top notch and a real pleasure to deal with... he went through the shifter issue, and the potential battery connection concerns and will be following up with adjustment diagrams. The "bad" message is resolved, we're headed to the lake this afternoon to try the shifter correction.

Sunny and dry in MI -- better get at it while the goings good.... have a great weekend all.

Olive

Hey are YOU the "other reindeer" ?????

No a bad nickname of the "wife" of a former CDN Prime Minister -- for the CDN's on the loop, by wife's nickname is "Dief"... oh the shame.

:)