Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slipping Prop?

Hello Everyone!

I recently had the pleasure of picking up my new 2007 Malibu response Lxi. It now has the grand total of 3 hours on it! My problem is that in the last 1/2 hour, it seems like when taking off it seems like the prop is slipping. At first I thought it might be cavitation since the water was quite rough when we were out last, but today it was glassy smooth. It was stil happening so I checked around the driveshaft in the compartment behind the motor and there is all kinds of red liquid there. There is also a clear pvc tube coming off the drive shaft that has no fluid in it, even when it is running. Do I have a problem on my hands? I've never owned a direct drive before, so I'm not sure if this is a problem. It is severe enough that I don't want to pull anyone behind the boat like this though! Thanks in advance for any info. Cheers,

Yuro.

Red fluid in the bilge is never a good thing. Sounds like your tranny isn't sealed properly. Not sure what a slipping prop feels like, but possibly related to low trans fluid?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
Hello Everyone!

I recently had the pleasure of picking up my new 2007 Malibu response Lxi. It now has the grand total of 3 hours on it! My problem is that in the last 1/2 hour, it seems like when taking off it seems like the prop is slipping. At first I thought it might be cavitation since the water was quite rough when we were out last, but today it was glassy smooth. It was stil happening so I checked around the driveshaft in the compartment behind the motor and there is all kinds of red liquid there. There is also a clear pvc tube coming off the drive shaft that has no fluid in it, even when it is running. Do I have a problem on my hands? I've never owned a direct drive before, so I'm not sure if this is a problem. It is severe enough that I don't want to pull anyone behind the boat like this though! Thanks in advance for any info. Cheers,

Yuro.

Whoa! In the event you're not trolling, you've blown a seal and have leaked all that red transmission fluid into the bilge. The slipping is the lack of ATF - your plates may be done for.

DO NOT run the boat. DO take it back to the dealer so that he can remove and fix, or more likely replace the transmission.

Whoa! In the event you're not trolling, you've blown a seal and have leaked all that red transmission fluid into the bilge. The slipping is the lack of ATF - your plates may be done for.

DO NOT run the boat. DO take it back to the dealer so that he can remove and fix, or more likely replace the transmission.

Yep it sounds like your plates inside are either worn down by not enough ATF or gone all together. Cry.gif I'm shocked that it passed Malibu's tests though, It's a 6hr. job to replace the tranny which they might just swap out for a new one. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back on the water soon!!!

Thanks for the replies, as dismal as they sound! I guess I'll get back to the dealer. UNfortunately that's a 3hr tow one way. Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know what happens. Cheers,

Yuro.

Thanks for the replies, as dismal as they sound! I guess I'll get back to the dealer. UNfortunately that's a 3hr tow one way. Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know what happens. Cheers,

Yuro.

3 hours - that sucks too. I wonder if the dealer checked the bilge after he water tested it.

A leaking transmission is a mfgr defect - there's nothing you could have done to cause that so there should be no question about who's paying for it. I would definitely push for a new transmission - it will take less time and it will eliminate a lot of the mystery. I'd water-test the crap out of it before I hauled it all the way back home- make sure the shaft is aligned, the tranny's not leaking, and not overheating.

Also, if I bought a brand new boat and it turned out to be DOA like yours, my dealer would offer me a loaner. And if he didn't, I'd ask for one. Seems like the least that he or Malibu could do after just dropping $50,000 on a boat that left the factory defective.

Edited by Big Mac

Obviously the "slipping" prop is a slipping transmission. (Been there.)

Check how much fluid (dipstick) is still in the tranny. Then.....

Doesn't necessarily mean you have a destroyed tranny. You may just have a crack or loose connection in one of the 2 black hoses/lines that carry the tranny fluid up to the front of the engine to the tranny cooler. Try to determine where the fluid is leaking from. Check the 2 screw in connections at the tranny.... and the 2 connections at the tranny cooler. Also, check to see if there are any splits in the line. Check for tiny/wet drips anywhere.

By the way, don't forget about gravity. If you find a drip on the lower part of a hose, it doesn't mean that's exactly where a spit could be..... the drip may have just crept down the hose/line from a higher split. Find the drip.... follow it up the hose/line.... until you get to a dry spot.

Might save you a 3 hour trip.

Thanks for the info, I will try to check things out more. One problem is that my owners manual was back ordered when I took delivery of the boat, and I have never had a direct drive before. Where is the transmission and dipstick located exactly? I was looking in the compartment behind the engine, but it sounds like I need to look under the engine compartment itself! Thanks for all your help, this forum ROCKS! Cheers,

Yuro.

Okay, I've gone over the engine/transmission. On the Port side of the transmission, below the engine there is what I believe a transmission fluid cooler hose that runs to the top of the engine. THe problem is that it wasn't tightened and I could back it out with my hand in about 1/2 a turn! I took a photo, but I think I have found the source of the problem! My question is what type of fluid do I put back into the transmission? Can I use regular automotive ATF? Thanks again,

Yuro.

ZF Hurth Trans. and ZF Hurth V-drive ---> Pennzoil type A, Dexron II, III, or Dexron / Mercon.

Trans. will take < 2.0 qts.

I'd still be concerned that although the source of the problem was something minor that the plates at the very least have much more wear on them than they would have had otherwise. So, even if things seem fine after tightening up that hose clamp and topping off the fluid I would work something out with the dealer to look deeper into this at a more convient time later this season or in fall.

Mike

I would still take it back to the dealer. With a loss of ATF to the point where you felt slipping, irreversible damage may have been done. Something that may come back to haunt you 3 years and 1 day from the day you took delivery.

I think all late model tranny's use Dextron 3 now.

My ZF Hurth V-drive (ZF 63A) uses 15W40 engine oil. The later model Hurth V-drives like mine can use either 15W40 or Dexron. It looks like the OP had Dexron, though, if it was red, so that's what he should put in there to top off. Dexron III or IV - whichever he can find at the local auto parts store.

I think all late model tranny's use Dextron 3 now.

My ZF Hurth V-drive (ZF 63A) uses 15W40 engine oil. The later model Hurth V-drives like mine can use either 15W40 or Dexron. It looks like the OP had Dexron, though, if it was red, so that's what he should put in there to top off. Dexron III or IV - whichever he can find at the local auto parts store.

He's got a direct drive, so the vdrive unit is irrelevant. Also, the newer SkiVee vdrive/tranny units use tranny fluid all around, no oil in those.

He's got a direct drive, so the vdrive unit is irrelevant. Also, the newer SkiVee vdrive/tranny units use tranny fluid all around, no oil in those.

Yeah. Doesn't apply to Yuro....

Edited by Big Mac
Okay, I've gone over the engine/transmission. On the Port side of the transmission, below the engine there is what I believe a transmission fluid cooler hose that runs to the top of the engine. THe problem is that it wasn't tightened and I could back it out with my hand in about 1/2 a turn! I took a photo, but I think I have found the source of the problem! My question is what type of fluid do I put back into the transmission? Can I use regular automotive ATF? Thanks again,

Yuro.

How much fluid (per the dipstick) was still in the tranny? My guess is if you noticed right after the slipping started, you likely did NOT do any damage. I'd also suggest you're ok to fill it up, tighten the fitting..... but just have the Dealer do an inspection at your first check-up. I don't think worth an extra visit right away.

Did it show at all on the dipstick? I also think the tranny has a sticker that says what kind of fluid to use. Red = Dexron Transmision Fluid.

Don't know if they still use the same tranny, but Malibu used to inly install 2 models of the ZF Hurth Transmission in direct drives. The 450D and the 630D. Both the 450 D and the 630 D have a forward gear ratio of 1:1 and a reverse gear ratio of 1.03:1. The 450D is supposed to be good for motors with up to 377HP and the 630D for motos up to 504 HP.

The fluid capacity of BOTH is 2 litres or 2.12 US quarts.

Both use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). Dexron II is one of the approved ATF.

Fluid can be checked when hot OR when cold.

My manual recommends the first tranny fluid change after 25 hours.... every 300 hours (or annual) after that. You fill thru the dipstick hole. Many of the folks on here use a turkey baster (or a drill driven pump/tube) to remove old tranny fluid.

Hope this helps and gets you back on the water right away.

Good luck!

Edited by doughickey

Thanks for all the help everyone! I had the boat out again yesterday to see if the problem was solved. First off, there was no fluid on the dipstick at all, bone dry. It took about 1.5 quarts of dexron III to fill it up to the top level. A few tests and it seemed to be holding fine. Checked it throughout the day. All seemed okay, but by the end of the day heading back to the dock all of a sudden the bilge pump comes on all by itself. It runs for a good minute. Once I get the boat out of the water, while still on the ramop, I pull the rear drain plug by the wedge and a ton, and I mean TON of water comes out! I check all the other plugs and the one under the engine has very little fluid, but the ski locker in front, again, has a TON of water in it! Luckily it has its own drain plug as well. The boat now has just under 5 hours on it. Is it too soon to do a first service and have some of this stuff looked at? Could the tranny probs and the taking on of water be related? What sorts of things do you consider when you take on so much water? Thanks again, you guys are awesome! Cheers,

Yuro.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I had the boat out again yesterday to see if the problem was solved. First off, there was no fluid on the dipstick at all, bone dry. It took about 1.5 quarts of dexron III to fill it up to the top level. A few tests and it seemed to be holding fine. Checked it throughout the day. All seemed okay, but by the end of the day heading back to the dock all of a sudden the bilge pump comes on all by itself. It runs for a good minute. Once I get the boat out of the water, while still on the ramop, I pull the rear drain plug by the wedge and a ton, and I mean TON of water comes out! I check all the other plugs and the one under the engine has very little fluid, but the ski locker in front, again, has a TON of water in it! Luckily it has its own drain plug as well. The boat now has just under 5 hours on it. Is it too soon to do a first service and have some of this stuff looked at? Could the tranny probs and the taking on of water be related? What sorts of things do you consider when you take on so much water? Thanks again, you guys are awesome! Cheers,

Yuro.

The first things to check would be your packing nut & that there isn't anything obvious on the engine that's leaking (are all hoses hooked up correctly?). If those things don't yield any results, try filling the bilge with water (with the plugs in) & see where it comes out. I doubt that the 2 things are related.

Yuro.

The first things to check would be your packing nut & that there isn't anything obvious on the engine that's leaking (are all hoses hooked up correctly?). If those things don't yield any results, try filling the bilge with water (with the plugs in) & see where it comes out. I doubt that the 2 things are related.

He said there was a clear tube that connected to the shaft. That sounds like a dripless packing to me. Follow that tube back up, it should connect to the pressurized side of the water pump somewhere.

I'd check all hoses to make sure that they are tight.

I have to say that this forum has to be one of the most helpful out there! Everyone here is just AWESOME! Thanks again for all the tips, I'll check into them this evening. I did do some searching and found the shower tip. I think that may be a culprit, it may even be my bad if I didn't turn it off (oops!), since it did seem more wet in the rear than the front. Can water that gets in through the rear end up in the front ski locker in the floor? Thanks again,

Yuro.

I have to say that this forum has to be one of the most helpful out there! Everyone here is just AWESOME! Thanks again for all the tips, I'll check into them this evening. I did do some searching and found the shower tip. I think that may be a culprit, it may even be my bad if I didn't turn it off (oops!), since it did seem more wet in the rear than the front. Can water that gets in through the rear end up in the front ski locker in the floor? Thanks again,

Yuro.

Most definitely. Look in your ski locker. At the rear of it should be a small plug hole. There should be a plug for it, but if it isn't in the hole then it's not going to keep water from the bilge out.

Yuro.

Yah, we're helpful, until you come on the site, complain about your boat/dealer, refuse to take anyones advice, then say that you're going to buy a different brand of boat from the same dealer. ROFL.gif But, other than that.....

Yes, that shower could definitely be the problem. On my 1st boat, I always disconnected the quick connect fitting because it would constantly leak while under way, even with it shut off.