Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Red Kill Switch causing problems

The red kill switch on my 2005 LXi is causing intermittent engine cut outs. The button is fully pressed in, but it doesn't always connect. I pulled the switch and just connected the wires together. At first I intended to get a replacement, but 'm thinking that its more dangerous with an intermittent switch than no switch. If I left it off, would I be creating any issues anyone can think of, other than not having the red cord to pull if the driver was in distress. Chris

You'll notice that there's 4 blades on the back of the switch. If you put the two wires to the two blades that were previously unused, the switch will be closed with the lanyard out. That's how I've had mine for more than 2 years.

I has a spider lay her eggs in mine while the lanyard was pulled out. When I reinstalled the lanyard, the egg sac got between the electrical contact and the switch would not make. I sprayed some contact cleaner in it and it cleaned out the problem. It is a very simple design and probably just needs a cleaning. I also keep a jumper wire in the boat now just for that switch. About bypassing the switch, it may be illegal, don't know.