Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECU (ECM) question.

Is there any way of knowing if your ECM has any codes stored in it without a code reader or scanner? Does the underdash alarm function for this purpose, or is it strickly for overheat warnings alone? I have MEFI 4. I looked in Clymers, but it does not really address the issue.

Edited by electricjohn
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump....and let me add that my alarm beeper under the dash beeps from the time I turn the key to the on position till I start the engine. Is this telling me something?......Thanks

Bump....and let me add that my alarm beeper under the dash beeps from the time I turn the key to the on position till I start the engine. Is this telling me something?......Thanks

That's probably your low oil pressure alarm, coming from the oil pressure switch.

Sure. It's telling you to start the stinkin' engine already and go ski!

That's probably your low oil pressure alarm, coming from the oil pressure switch.

I thought I read in Clymers that you also need a distributor reference for the low oil pressure alarm to come in. BICBW

Sure. It's telling you to start the stinkin' engine already and go ski!

Ran the engine today. I wanted to get fresh fuel in the tank before I ran the engine for any length. All's good. Tuesday is still a good possibility.

my alarm beeper under the dash beeps from the time I turn the key to the on position till I start the engine. Is this telling me something?......Thanks

Yes. Don't leave your key on, it'll run the battery down. ;) I have always thought that was to let you know the warning horn was functional, a self-test so to speak, BICBW.