Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 340 Oil Leak

I go to pull the plactic drain plug that leads to the bilge area and a very nasty mixture of oil and water some spewing out. Took the boat to the dealership to have it checked out and they are telling me there is an oil leak. Not only that but they have to take the enitire engine out to find out where the leak is coming from. 10-12 hours of labor @ ~$90/hr + parts. I understand this in rare,but I just bought this boat a month ago and it is 2 months out of warranty. What the hell????? Anyone else had similar crappy luck? Mad.gif

Edited by Malibu Stew

I really doubt they would need to pull the motor just to figure out where the oil leak is coming from. Why can't they run the motor on a fake lake to find the oil leak? As far as fixing the leak, that could require pulling the motor. Ask them about installing some dye to the oil that makes finding a small leak easier with a black light.

This is exactly why I paid the $$ to transfer the Indmar warranty when I bought my boat. Maybe, since you just bought it, you could still do the same? Now, if only I had paid for the hull warranty transfer.....after reading the thread about the low spots on the floor of Sunsetters....

Like some of the previous comments, jumping into pulling the motor out may be premature… If your motor is a chevy, it’s unlikely that the cast parts of the engine block or heads are the cause of the leak. I would start by cleaning up all the oil in the bilge and on the motor. Use a fake a lake, start the motor and begin by checking the oil filter adapter, oil pressure sensor, valve covers, stripped oil pan plug and any oil cooler lines or oil coolers that there may be. Once you locate the source(s) then we can figure out how to get to it and make the repair…

I would make a call to Indmar and explain your case to an advisor there. My buddy had his entire ENGINE replaced last year and it was > 1 year out of warranty with 250+ hrs on it. Rare lifter problem or something happened...but my point is, Indmar is an outstanding company and given the motor/boat show no signs of abuse or mis-use, I would talk to the regional Malibu Rep and Indmar and see if they can't help you out. All they can say is NO.

My motto is talk is cheap,

You may not even have an oil leak. Someone may have gotten sloppy with an oil change. Clean the bilge and motor thoroughly and do some checking.

Like Dan said, it's real easy do make a mess changing the oil filter if someone gets lazy. Also could be something as simple as the drain hose attachment to the bottom of the oil pan. I would only pull the engine if it was the rear seal leaking. If it's a pan gasket it will probably need lifted, but not pulled out completely.

WHOA Nelly, I wouldn't let them pull the engine. They should be able to find a oil leak without pulling the engine. I'd suggest finding someone else to work on it. Sounds like they are about to stick it too you buddy.

gotta agree with all the comments. pulling the motor sounds like the bend over route to go. it could be an easy fix. the sensor on my v drive was leaking once. it was small but made a mess. cheap and easy fix.

My dealer said they checked all the obvious areas for leaks. They then checked underneath the oil pan to see if the drain line/plug area was leaking. It wasn't. They said there was really no other way to determine where the leak was coming from other than pulling the engine out and running it.

I am going to contact both Indmar and Malibu to see what solution that can come to for this problem. I understand that the engine is out of warranty, but an oil leak 2-3 months out of warranty??? I aint bending over on this one!!!!

I would make a call to Indmar and explain your case to an advisor there. My buddy had his entire ENGINE replaced last year and it was > 1 year out of warranty with 250+ hrs on it. Rare lifter problem or something happened...but my point is, Indmar is an outstanding company and given the motor/boat show no signs of abuse or mis-use, I would talk to the regional Malibu Rep and Indmar and see if they can't help you out. All they can say is NO.

My motto is talk is cheap,

I am most certainly going to take your advice on this one! Thanks!

Anyone out there know who the regional Malibu Rep would be for the Florida area?

Thanks!

I understand that the engine is out of warranty, but an oil leak 2-3 months out of warranty??? I aint bending over on this one!!!!

I feel your pain (I really do) and if you were the original owner and the warranty was in your name I'd fight for Malibu to pick up the cost. But since you aren't the original owner and the warranty didn't transfer to you I'd be real surprised (and impressed) if Malibu helped out at all. Seems like a lost cause to me.

Mike

Edited by mlange
I understand that the engine is out of warranty, but an oil leak 2-3 months out of warranty??? I aint bending over on this one!!!!

I feel your pain (I really do) and if you were the original owner and the warranty was in your name I'd fight for Malibu to pick up the cost. But since you aren't the original owner and the warranty didn't transfer to you I'd be real surprised (and impressed) if Malibu helped out at all. Seems like a lost cause to me.

Mike

I am going to fight for Indmar to pick up at least some of the cost. I think original ownership and warranty are irrelevant at this point. The service manager said he has never seen anything like this since he has been there. That to me says this is a one off circustance that should be picked up by the manufacturer. I could be wrong, but I am pissed and wont give up without a fight.

If in fact they did check for leaks and couldn't find any...then that still doesn't eliminate a sloppy oil change. At the very least they (or you) should clean the bilge, oil pan, and block really well with Dawn dishwashing liquid (or similar) and water and then top off the oil in the engine (assuming it's low from leaking) and run it to confirm that it is in fact leaking.

Good luck. Speaks volumes for doing a water test before buying a used boat...no? :( If that seller knew about the problem and offed the boat without disclosure you could have some recourse against him. Maybe check with the dealer / mechanics around him to see if any had seen the boat recently for this problem. At the very least...Karma will kick his @$$. Yes.gif It always does.

If in fact they did check for leaks and couldn't find any...then that still doesn't eliminate a sloppy oil change. At the very least they (or you) should clean the bilge, oil pan, and block really well with Dawn dishwashing liquid (or similar) and water and then top off the oil in the engine (assuming it's low from leaking) and run it to confirm that it is in fact leaking.

Absolutely.

Found the leak. It was coming from a bolt in the oil pan. Apparently a pinched gasket.

Let me go on record and say this: "Indmar is a STAND UP company!!!!!!"

They are covering 100% of this repair. My hat is off to the folks at Indmar for taking care of this without any questions. This experience alone will solidify my loyalty to this manufacturer despite the problem.

Thanks for everyone's posts! Especially WaveMake'nLSV!! Thanks for the advice!!

Clap.gifClap.gifRockon.gifThumbup.gif

Found the leak. It was coming from a bolt in the oil pan. Apparently a pinched gasket.

They are covering 100% of this repair. My hat is off to the folks at Indmar for taking care of this without any questions. This experience alone will solidify my loyalty to this manufacturer despite the problem.

Now belly up to the bar with a donation to the site, looks these fine folks saved you some $$$$$$$$. Thumbup.gif

Now belly up to the bar with a donation to the site, looks these fine folks saved you some $$$$$$$$. Thumbup.gif

Just did!!!! Whistling.gif

Just did!!!! Whistling.gif

Notworthy.gif

Good for you! Did the guys at the dealership (I'm assuming we use the same one in Orlando) help you out with Indmar? I hope so...I have found them to be a good bunch of guys, especially the service manager. They have had more than one thing repaired for me that were 'out of warranty'. I hope your experience with them was, and will continue to be, the same...

Good for you! Did the guys at the dealership (I'm assuming we use the same one in Orlando) help you out with Indmar? I hope so...I have found them to be a good bunch of guys, especially the service manager. They have had more than one thing repaired for me that were 'out of warranty'. I hope your experience with them was, and will continue to be, the same...

I made the call to Indmar and then Indmar called the dealer to find out what was wrong. The dealer called me today and said " you must have said something good to the folks at Indmar, they are going to pay for everything." I wish the service manager had been a little more proactive in addressing this with Indmar, but ultimately it doesnt matter. I am just happy with the fact that they are friendly and competent there. I can take care of the rest. :lol: