Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions @ WS LSV - WTB

Aerobatix

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first boat and have been researching everything I can about the various wake boat manufacturers. I have pretty much settled on Malibu and I'm thinking that the Wakesetter LSV 23' is the best fit. I'm looking for something that the whole family can enjoy as we start to learn wakesurfing, boarding, tubing, and just cruising the river. This boat seems to be large enough to handle a sizable number of people, seems very spacious with the v-drive and wrap around seating with open bow, and from what I've been reading it seems to be very respectable in it's peformance capabilities regarding wake size and shape and towing performance.

Here's a few of my questions.... I've read a few posts that talk about the "wake hull" versus the "diamond hull" and I think I read something about the "V25 hull." Can someone educate me on the differences and tell me what model years have these various hulls. I also read a few posts on which engine is best suited for this boat since it's a bit larger at 23'. Again, which engines are best for performance and what would be the lower end engine options for that size boat. This is a big investment for us to buy a boat but we're commited. I will NOT be able to but new and I'm mostly interested in getting the best boat for a MAX of $40k.

I did see a 2002 WS LSV with the Corvette engine recently for sale. It seemed to be well optioned with about 150 hours. What would this setup be worth? NADA seemed to put it between 32-36k which in my range. Is there a particular year that the design underwent major changes that make that year or newer the most desirable?

Please help educate me on what to REALLY look for as I continue my hunt for the right boat. I am ready to buy TODAY if I can find the right deal in my budget, but I want to be better educated on the hulls and engines as well as anything else you can help me with BEFORE I spend what is ia large amount of money for my family.

Thanks!!

Rob

Rob,

Welcome to the site and I think your long research will pay off BIGTIME once you find your boat! Rockon.gif All those things you mentioned about the LSV are accurate. I think Ronnie or someone like that can pipe in with the difference in the hull/year, etc.

If you want the overall package, see if you can find one on the V25 Diamond Hull, but it may have only come about >2004. There were MAJOR changes to the LSV in 2004, that much, I do know. ;-) But a 2002 boat would be a great buy, right in your range, and you would likely not miss whatever it is you wouldn't have in the newer one. Alot of times it is just aesthetics...but I know they did re-vamp the hull in 2004.

Great choice on boats, glad to have you on the site! Thumbup.gifClap.gif

WELCOME!

In 2004 they went to the V25 Wake hull if you can swing I would buy an 04 or newer but, on your budget it might be tough. The site also has a good area for info on the hulls...LINK

As a prior owner of an LSV with a LS-1, I would tend to stay away from that motor for wakreboarding. If you want the fastest LSV on the lake by all means grab it, otherwise choose a motor that develops its horsepower and torque at a lower RPM, ie. monsoon or hammehead.

Edited by LS-One

IIRC the differences in 04 were major, and you will probably be most happy with an 04 and up boat. Some of those would have come with the 320 hp engine standard. The upgrade would be the monsoon at 340 hp and the hammerhead at 375 hp. Most people opted for the Monsoon, and some people for the HH. The Monsoon is probably enough engine for most people, but then Malibu owners are not most people, and so I advise getting the HH.

You are really looking at 3 model years for "used", 04, 05 and 06. However there are 07's that almost a year old and will be up for sale, 08's coming out in just a few short months. That means an 04 would be be 4 model years old. I would think an 04 or 05 could be had for 40K, as long as it does not have that many options.

Check out some 02/03 boats vs the >04... I like the newer hull design, they did make some cool changes. On the other hand, I'm also very fond of the slightly smaller pre'04 hull.

It is just a little smaller, which I like. It would be a personal choice - so check it out. For what you're looking for, there isn't any reason to avoid the 02/03 models.

This boat was being offered on www.GCWA.com site LINK

Edit:

Priced reduced check out the THREAD

Edited by RiverRunner

I would suggest:

'04 or later and the WAKE hull if you are wakeboarding or surfing. The diamond (ski) hull will get you almost the same wakes but it takes more weight to get you there. The ski hull has chines at the edge of the hull to help the boat run higher in the water to create less wake for skiing.

For your elevation the Monsoon engine will be fine unless you wakeboard with all ballast full and 10-12 people on board all the time.

Find one with the Illusion or Titan tower on it, in '04 they offered a new style Skylon Swoop tower at the first of the year. RUN from that one.

$40k wouldn't buy my '04....

This boat was being offered on www.GCWA.com site LINK

Edit:

Priced reduced check out the THREAD

Thanks for the link. I asked for more photos and details.....

After reading the replies so far I am now thinking of trying to "s-t-r-e-t-c-h" my budget and look at 04 or newer. I am finding some in the upper 40's to lower 50's so maybe I can make it happen.

Keep the comments coming!!

Thanks

Stock Ballast question....

Does the ballast system use sacs that use up the storage areas, making them less useful for actually storing gear? I thought I read somewhere that there was a change at some point where the ballast tanks are actually UNDER the floor, making all the storage compartments VERY useful for, well STORAGE. Is there an online reference somewhere that goes into details about the changes in features from yer-to-year? I've searched the forums bit I didn't find anything other than basic stats on length, width, weight.

I may try to call Malibu and see if they have something that helps me understand year-to-year differences.

Thanks!!

Rob

****Looking for an LSV - 04 or newer****

Edited by Aerobatix