Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

impellar change in a VLX 05?

Did a stereo for a customer and his impellar went out over the weekend. I used the fake a lake to test for engine noise. Well he came back asking if I used the fake a lake. I told him yes and that the impellar should be changed every year. I am taking my own advice.

I have never changed my impellar and have one on hand so I figured it is time. I don't know where it is or if I need to reseal anything. If anyone has some advice please help me out. I am a mechanic but am so busy with the shop I really don't have time to mess around.

Thanks in advance

It's on the crank pulley, it should have 3 8mm bolts holding the front plate to the water pump housing. It is helpful to lube up the old impeller with soap to get it out, it is also helpful to lube the new one up with something like 303. There should be a gasket that comes with the impeller.

Hardest part will be getting the old one out. Hope that helps a bit?

It's on the crank pulley, it should have 3 8mm bolts holding the front plate to the water pump housing. It is helpful to lube up the old impeller with soap to get it out, it is also helpful to lube the new one up with something like 303. There should be a gasket that comes with the impeller.

20 min. tops did mine last year on the lake!!o5 is very easy !!!

Also helps to be a contortionist. ;)

Also helps to be a contortionist. ;)

I would hire a midget to replace it. Either that or just pull the entire feakin' engine to get to the pump!!! I would like to meet the engineer who (didn't) consider service access!! Mad.gif However, if you are going to change it, go buy a Globe "Run Dry" (blue) impeller. It costs like $2.00 more than a Johnson, and it lasts at least 3 years. You will use Globe Model 100J and you can get them from www.defender.com - some local dealers carry them. This is my 3rd season using the Globe impeller, and I am a fan. It takes me at least an hour of contortion and a mirror to change mine Surprised.gif

Thanks everyone I am getting ready to do it. Wish me luck I am small but by no means a dwarf. I guess compared to my 6 ft. friends I am.

Just take out both engine side cover panels and straddle the engine like a horse. You'll be facing backward towards the transom. And, those bolts are not 8mm, 8mm may fit but, every fastener on that engine is SAE.

This is a very easy task. Just pull the impeller cover, spay a little WD-40 in the housing and on the old impeller. Then pull the safety ignition switch off and bump the motor over several times. This pushes the old impeller out about 1/4". Then you can grab it with a couple of neddle nose pliers and pull it the rest of the way out.

This is a very easy task. Just pull the impeller cover, spay a little WD-40 in the housing and on the old impeller. Then pull the safety ignition switch off and bump the motor over several times. This pushes the old impeller out about 1/4". Then you can grab it with a couple of neddle nose pliers and pull it the rest of the way out.

How about binding lube, since the impeller is only going to go out on the lake and I don't carry wd-40 on the boat? Yes needle noise pliers is a must for this job, and it does wear on your stomach laying over the engine even with a towel down.