Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower for my 2003 Sunsetter LXi

LS1boarder

Hello, I want to get a tower for my Sunsetter, but have no idea what will fit and where I should buy it. I like the look of the Illusion towers, what other options do I have?

Thanks for your help!!

Hello, I want to get a tower for my Sunsetter, but have no idea what will fit and where I should buy it. I like the look of the Illusion towers, what other options do I have?

Thanks for your help!!

I've got a Swoop on my '01, bought it through Wakeside if I remember correctly. Used the points I earned to buy stereo speakers from them too.

Titan, Monster & Samson all make great products & back them with excellent CS. I'd favor Titan mainly because it's OEM, but any of the 3 would be a good choice.

All three of these before Skylon Swoop. Trust me, I've two swoops. Titan first, look for a deal on a Titan I or II.

Titan, Monster & Samson all make great products & back them with excellent CS. I'd favor Titan mainly because it's OEM, but any of the 3 would be a good choice.

All three of these before Skylon Swoop. Trust me, I've two swoops. Titan first, look for a deal on a Titan I or II.

And probably a few others. I have my own experience with the Swoop & won't have another.

I've got the Skylon Swoop on my '01 SLXI and a buddy liked mine so much he put one on his '04. We don't have them loaded up with speakers and lights, just racks and bimini's, and we've had no problems whatsoever.

Whether they are loaded or not isn't the problem. The base feet of the Swoop aren't contoured correctly for many hulls & it resulted in a lot of problems with gel cracking & spidering around the tower mounts. It was a very common problem & one that Skylon never fixed. Malibu dropped them from the OEM tower lineup & I don't think that's a coincidence. If you haven't had problems with yours, that's great! But it's still not a tower that I would ever recommend to anyone, based on my own experiences as well as the general history of that tower.

Great! Thanks for the advice! I think I'll look into the Titan towers. Do most people install them themselves or take it to the dealer? How much should I expect to pay a dealership to install it?

Great! Thanks for the advice! I think I'll look into the Titan towers. Do most people install them themselves or take it to the dealer? How much should I expect to pay a dealership to install it?

Pretty easy install if you're half-way mechanically inclined.

The Titan will most likely take about 5 hours for your dealer to install at whatever their hourly rate it. That's what mine charged me.

They will tell you that the tower must be installed by a dealer to have the warranty be valid.

The Titan's are nice because they mount on the flat top surfaces of the hull. I had the dealer install it to deal with any issues with the tower during shipping & to have the warranty.

No matter who does the install, I highly suggest having the tower placed in such a way that the front window can fit behind the front tower leg..rather than resting on it while open.

post-99-1180968268_thumb.jpg

If you do the install, take some measurements or ask for some on this forum. I have seen some installs that were pretty botched up because the legs were not positioned correctly. On some the windshield won't open correctly (even factory installs for this one) and on others the rear legs were so far back the tower didn't even look like a Titan anymore.

No matter who does the install, I highly suggest having the tower placed in such a way that the front window can fit behind the front tower leg..rather than resting on it while open.
If you do the install, take some measurements or ask for some on this forum. I have seen some installs that were pretty botched up because the legs were not positioned correctly. On some the windshield won't open correctly (even factory installs for this one) and on others the rear legs were so far back the tower didn't even look like a Titan anymore.

Having the window clearance isn't a big deal, I don't drive w/ it open.

To some it might be though, & it's one of those details that if you have the opportunity to get right then you should IMO.

Yea - Justin doesn't mind those details, since he's going to be getting a v-drive anyway.. Whistling.gif

To some it might be though, & it's one of those details that if you have the opportunity to get right then you should IMO.

I just don't see a big issue w/ it, this window wasn't made to be open while underway anway. It's just personal choice. I just use a piece of velco (soft side) while it rests on the tower leg, Titan does offer a rubber piece as well.

Yea - Justin doesn't mind those details, since he's going to be getting a v-drive anyway.. Whistling.gif

Whatever at least we use it... Tease.gif