Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter 23XTI Boom Recommendations

sabre

All,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of ski boats with towers. My Dad had and still has an 88 Skier that I grew up on so I've been on the water most my life. We had a boom and I found it invaluable in teaching young skiers the basics without being in the water with them. I want to get a boom so I can get back to learning backwards barefoot and teaching friends and their kids how to ski. I've got an illusion tower and am trying to find a good recommendation for a boom. I've found one from BI but no one seems to carry it or know much about it. I've looked on this forum and found some threads on booms but none seemed to address an XTI with an Illusion Tower.

Does anyone have an XTI, Illusion Tower and a boom? If you do, which one do you have and would you buy it again if you could? I want to get one sometime before in early June (our next big outing with some close friends) so timing is everything.

Thanks for any advice.

Seems not to many people run this set up, but after speaking with B.I. it appears that it should work out pretty well. Quite a few towers on the market interfere slightly with boom set up but usually some slight adjustment allows the system to work. For example sometime it is necessary to change the angle of the boom out the side of the boat (more or less than 90 degrees) to accommodate for the tower placement. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that the Illusion tower will allow for a near 90 degree mounting position and should work out great.

If you are in MN I can order one and we can try it out on your boat.

DOH! Just noticed you are in Virginia, that a little bit of a drive just to see if a boom fits your boat.

Corey, thanks for the offer and the information. I think I can get it from Bart's so unless there's any other suggestions I'll let everyone know whether it works or not.

sabre

I used to have a 23xti, although it had the titan tower. We used a standard BI boom, and it rested just behind the end of the windshield. I think the Illusion tower is far enough back that it would still work.

sabre

I used to have a 23xti, although it had the titan tower. We used a standard BI boom, and it rested just behind the end of the windshield. I think the Illusion tower is far enough back that it would still work.

Dino,

Why did you get rid of the 23xti? I've always been a direct drive fan and stayed away from the v-drive when I got mine.

DOH! Just noticed you are in Virginia, that a little bit of a drive just to see if a boom fits your boat.

Corey, thanks for the offer and the information. I think I can get it from Bart's so unless there's any other suggestions I'll let everyone know whether it works or not.

Call BI and talk to Mike. He is very knowledgeable and will tell you exactly how it will (or will not) work for your setup.

sabre

Dino,

Why did you get rid of the 23xti? I've always been a direct drive fan and stayed away from the v-drive when I got mine.

sabre

I've always had DD myself, but when I rode behind a v-drive for the first time last year I had to have one, so I ended up with an 07 VLX. the wakeboard wake is much better than the xti was, and i would say they are about the same for footing. I haven;t been on a slalom ski for years, so I can;t speak to that. I will say that I still prefer the layout of the xti for hanging out with a few friends.

Sabre,

I had wanted to do something similar with my 21XTi. I have a BI standard countour that I had on my other inboard. Tried to fit it on my XTi and no can do. The ski extension is smaller in diameter than the standard inboard. Plus, it does not come up high enough and the boom clamp rests on the vinyl.

I personally spoke to Mike at BI and he had a new clamp that he would sell me for $100. He also told me that the angle of the boom behind the winshield would put me in the spray and I would need his boom extender for $90. Forget that I just paid $300 for the darn boom on ebay. It was too rich for my blood so I dropped the want to foot off the boom on my boat.

I would strongly encourage you to simply set a boom on you boat to see the layout. There will be no vertical adjustment to the boom since the XTi pylon is so short. The end of the boom looked pretty low to the water on my boat. Plus the boom has to be inverted so the drop that use to make it easy to step over now goes up in the air. you now have to go under doing the belly crawl.

It is possible so let me know how it works out for ya.

I have a BI boom for my 21 xti. It rests just behind the windshield and works great. I put it on the observer's side and it makes it a pain to get thru, but it works just fine.

The only hassle with the boom is that you have to unbolt the bracket off the pylon to check the oil. I don't see any way around it.

I would hesitate to put a boom on a tower. I don't think it's designed for those angle of loads, etc. We have grown people slide out and foot, etc and I don't know if a tower and mounts are designed for that type of load. Just food for thought.