Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RPM rapid dropoff when slowly reducing throttle

Out in my 2006 vRide yesterday and had a strange problem. When running at, say, 3000 rpm I would start to slowly reduce the throttle. The RPM would stay right at 3000 even though the throttle had moved maybe an inch or more. Then all of a sudden, the RPM would drop almost instantly to about 2000. Wasn't a pleasant experience for the rider! I was able to reproduce this same sudden RPM dropoff with other RPM starting points. The result was always the same, no response to slow throttle reduction until all of a sudden, a big dropoff.

All of the above was without the speed control engaged. With speed control engaged, the RPM varied smoothly as the system maintained speed, no problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. (Apologies in advance if this has already been covered somewhere...I searched but didn't find anything.

Just got an answer from my dealer. He tells me that there is a service bulletin out on this. Something about some screws being over torqued in the throttle receiving unit on the engine. Most common symptom is engine not returning all the way to idle when power is cut. He tells me that it's a 45 minute job to fix it (no parts).

Mine does somewhat the same thing, I also have the problem when I'm at about 1200 rpm and let go of the throttle it goes back to idle. I think I just need to adjust the tension on the handle, this may be what you need to do also Dontknow.gif

I also have the problem when I'm at about 1200 rpm and let go of the throttle it goes back to idle.

In the boats before TBW, this was normal for safety reasons. It may be on the TBW systems too.

when I'm at about 1200 rpm and let go of the throttle it goes back to idle. I think I just need to adjust the tension on the handle, this may be what you need to do also Dontknow.gif

Nope, mine is the exact opposite. I bring the throttle all the way to idle, and it stays at 1200 RPM. The dealer says this is what the service bulletin addresses. We'll see next week if they fix it.

when I'm at about 1200 rpm and let go of the throttle it goes back to idle. I think I just need to adjust the tension on the handle, this may be what you need to do also Dontknow.gif

Nope, mine is the exact opposite. I bring the throttle all the way to idle, and it stays at 1200 RPM. The dealer says this is what the service bulletin addresses. We'll see next week if they fix it.

These are two entirely different issues. With it staying at 1200 RPM's, that's a problem. The other is not.

• 2 weeks later...

These are two entirely different issues. With it staying at 1200 RPM's, that's a problem. The other is not.

Here's an update on the fix for this problem... The dealer applied the service bulletin, which is to loosen two screws which attach the "pedal position sensor" to the throttle assembly and then re-locktite them with less torque. Apparently, many of these screws were overtorqued at the factory and this is what's causing the problems. However, on my boat, this did not fix it. So, they ordered a completely new pedal position sensor assembly from Indmar. After a 4-day wait and another 150 mile round trip to the dealer, it's now fixed. All covered under warranty. Biggrin.gif

Edited by ricko