Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Gelcoat repair- final finish

I have taken a scratch out my gel coat which is black, and can't seem to get that mirror wet look back. The last compound I used was a Glazing one with a 3m Foam wheel. It is close... but not what I would like to see. any help on a special brand of compound would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm supprised the 3m hand glaze (assuming that's what you used) didn't work. I used to detail and that stuff is great for getting scratches out,swirl marks, and a little bit of spider webs in the paint.

I'm supprised the 3m hand glaze (assuming that's what you used) didn't work. I used to detail and that stuff is great for getting scratches out,swirl marks, and a little bit of spider webs in the paint.

It could depend on what he used before the glaze... ie; if you used 200 grit paper to remove the scratch, then tried to use the glaze.. the results wouldn't be so great (or you'd have to glaze for a long time ;))

what did you use before the glazing?

3M's Marine polishing compound (by hand). Then the glazing, then a polish...I'm wondering if the 3M glazing is just a better product to use

What is your buffer RPM ? Should be at least 1500 rpm. Switch to a buffing wheel similar to this, should be available at an auto paint store. There also a step between sand papaer and glaze it used to be called rouge it came in a stick form (looked like a clay red stick of butter) you rub it on a spinning buffer wheel like pictured below and apply it to the gel coat.

post-23-1180622297_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS-One
What is your buffer RPM ? Should be at least 1500 rpm. Switch to a buffing wheel similar to this, should be available at an auto paint store. There also a step between sand papaer and glaze it used to be called rouge it came in a stick form (looked like a clay red stick of butter) you rub it on a spinning buffer wheel like pictured below and apply it to the gel coat.

post-23-1180622297_thumb.jpg

I have a variable speed buffer that reaches up to 3k. I am using two diiferent types of foam wheels by 3m. A compound one and a finishing one, I have also tried a whool one and it made it worse. Looks like I'm back to the store to look at the wheels again. I'll ask about the clay bar too.

Is this the stuff you used? Be careful with terminology that is not necessarily consistent between manutacturers. I would consider a glaze to be a last step prior to waxing. However, I would use the product I listed above prior to polishing and waxing.

Your experience with the wool pad doesn't surprise me--they are more aggressive, will remove gelcoat, and need to be followed with finishing-type products.