Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat capacity badge next to drivers seat has wrong Malibu Model

jpk

I just now noticed that my 2006 V-Ride has a boat capacity badge in the interior that lists the model as I-Ride. I don't know if the seating or weight capacities of the two models differs, but it sure seems odd that my boat is mis-labeled. Has anyone seen this before? Can I get a proper badge from Malibu?

I just now noticed that my 2006 V-Ride has a boat capacity badge in the interior that lists the model as I-Ride. I don't know if the seating or weight capacities of the two models differs, but it sure seems odd that my boat is mis-labeled. Has anyone seen this before? Can I get a proper badge from Malibu?

My 06 Vride does not have a plaque. Its not required on this type of boat over 20' in my area. But yes, you should call your dealer and they can send you one specific for the Vride if diff than the Iride. I basically asked to see the specs when I took delivery and got the total weight capacity, but I do not have that with me here. I think it was roughly 3000 lbs or about 10 people.

The vRide plaque should say 11 people. I'm not sure what the weight capacity is, but mine definitely says 11 people, even though Malibu says 10.

I'm guessing that the capacity is the same for both models and they just use one tag to save money. That is what they used to do with the Sunsetter/Sunsetter VLX's.

My 06 lists V-Ride on the plaque and 11 people/1480 lbs.

Yes, that is what I was told. In my prev post, I accidentally posted the dry weight of the Vride (3000 lbs), but inside capacity is 1480 which is more important than number of people. I carry about 200lbs of extra lead in my boat so it reduces the number of people I can bring, although its seldom I ever have 10 people riding at one time.

my friend just bought a 19 ft sea doo and it say online that he can have 7 people, and if you count the seats in the boat there are 7. but his capacity tag say 16 people. so i know hw has the wrong tag. that is the only one i have seen that was mislabeled. i beleive my VLX is correct but i will check it today. Thumbup.gif

can you get ticketed for having more weight and/or people in the boat than the capacity label says?

Yes. I'm pretty sure technically, if you ride with Ballast, you have to account that into your capacity as well. Although, if you ever get pulled over, just flip the switch and start pumping out.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the new badge from my dealer and it definitely is different than the I-Ride. In addition to getting the right capacity, it would have been lame come re-sale time to have to explain to someone that the boat really is indeed a V-Ride, despite what model the manufacturer marked it as.

can you get ticketed for having more weight and/or people in the boat than the capacity label says?

Yes. I'm pretty sure technically, if you ride with Ballast, you have to account that into your capacity as well. Although, if you ever get pulled over, just flip the switch and start pumping out.

On that same line of thinking....since water is neutrally buoyant in water does it really count? Dontknow.gif

On that same line of thinking....since water is neutrally buoyant in water does it really count? Dontknow.gif

I believe yes. Because the Coast Guard is more worried about keeping your boat above the water line, not as much whether or not it floats once the boat goes under.

I actually looked up laws in texas and it no where says anything specific about this other than operating the boat in an unsafe manner, which this could fall under.