Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driveshaft, strut, and rudder replacement

So, I hit something hard in the river and bent the driveshaft, strut, prop and rudder. My dealer is 3 weeks out, and want $1000 to do these repairs. My question is, are these repairs easy enough for me to do myself? I am more than confident in my mechanical skills, just curious if there are any speciality tools I would need to do this right? Thanks!

So, I hit something hard in the river and bent the driveshaft, strut, prop and rudder. My dealer is 3 weeks out, and want $1000 to do these repairs. My question is, are these repairs easy enough for me to do myself? I am more than confident in my mechanical skills, just curious if there are any speciality tools I would need to do this right? Thanks!

Hey I think I am in the same shape as you. I hit a rock and took out prop and rudder on Saturday and I am waiting for the cost and time figures. I hope both of our repairs are quick.

1k doesn't seem that bad, we had ours replaced last summer (hit something) and our boat is so much better now! We got a new prop, wedge, shaft (higher performance), dripless shaft seal system, ruddar, and strut all for I *think* less then 2500. Of course our (dads) out of pocket was only 500, which is our deductable

$2500 is my total estimate - $1000 in labor and $1500 for parts. My insurance is picking it up too, so its only going to cost me $250 (for now, I'm sure my rates will jump). I am more concerned with the three week out that the dealer is. Plus, if I can do it myself and pocket the extra grand - I will have my new racks Yahoo.gif

$1000 labour ?

Surely it only takes 2-3 hours to swap the shaft, rubber etc & another couple to check aligment ?

WSA removes the complete running gear including the fins on all their boats at the show so they will sit low on the floor. I think Tim could do the r&r in his sleep. It isn't hard to do, it just takes a little time. About 3 hours if you have not spun the coupler keyway. The rudder takes about 45 minutes, the strut takes about an hour to r&r and the shaft takes about 45 minutes with the right tools. You will need a 27mm socket to get the coupling off, unless the key is damaged, then all bets are off because you may have to cut the shaft to get it out. That takes about 1.5 and a lot of !@#$&**%%$!

Basically its just remove some bolts and nuts, clean it off, squirt some silicone, replace the bolts and nuts and new parts in the reverse order. You do have to make sure your coupling allignment is still there though when you tighten down the strut. Its easy. Whistling.gif

No glass damage?

oops...all that is if you have a v drive...you prolly have to pull the gas tank...bummer

Edited by gooddog

No glass damage that I could see, and the dealer didn't say anything about having to have it done so I think I got lucky there. I am sure I will have to pull the fuel tank, but that really isn't a big deal, I had it out over the winter to replace the floor - only difference is now it's about 1/4 full instead of full Thumbup.gif

I figured it would take me about all day some weekend, maybe into the next day if I hit some snags, but just wanted to make sure that it was as simple as it appeared to me.

MAN YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY!!i hit something first day out this year $9000.00 Mad.gif prop rutter,shaft,hanger,but we found cracks when we forced light from the inside and underneath they wer'nt visable to the eye so 8 weeks and a $1000.00 decuctible you cant tell Yahoo.gif (i will attach a pic of prop)

prop1.JPG

prop2.JPG

prop3.JPG

Edited by Group Therapy

I just had to replace the prop shaft and have the strut straightened repair a prop and bought a spare to the tune of $2,900. It was around $1,500 for labor and I think my mechanic earned every penny. He put it back together with surgical precision and had to do a lot of adjusting of the motor mounts because the guy who sold me the boat (recently) tried to hide the problem and had all the motor mounts out of whack.

The shop said that they often are able to straighten the shafts (half price of a new one), but mine was bent at the taper and they couldn't do anything with it.

Good luck.

Well I just found the rock island in the middle of the lake. Been out to the same lake several times this year and today was my lucky day Mad.gifMad.gifMad.gifMad.gifMad.gif . Fins are still attached but not exactly......well straight any more. Prop, shaft, strut, and rudder are history Cry.gif . All in the name of fun and taking out the neighbors and tubing with their kids. I knew I would find another reason I dislike tubing. Mad.gif

Anyone know for sure if you have to pull the gas tank to replace the rudder in a 2002 sunsetter lxi? I will post some pics once I have a chance to get them off of my camera. I am so #@(*@#@&@#()&%^#@) hot right now. But on the bright side I really wanted a new prop and now I will get one. Guess that is why we have insurance. Just ruins 3 weeks of my summer is all.

Well I just found the rock island in the middle of the lake. Been out to the same lake several times this year and today was my lucky day Mad.gifMad.gifMad.gifMad.gifMad.gif . Fins are still attached but not exactly......well straight any more. Prop, shaft, strut, and rudder are history Cry.gif . All in the name of fun and taking out the neighbors and tubing with their kids. I knew I would find another reason I dislike tubing. Mad.gif

Anyone know for sure if you have to pull the gas tank to replace the rudder in a 2002 sunsetter lxi? I will post some pics once I have a chance to get them off of my camera. I am so #@(*@#@&@#()&%^#@) hot right now. But on the bright side I really wanted a new prop and now I will get one. Guess that is why we have insurance. Just ruins 3 weeks of my summer is all.

And in Utah, that can't be a small loss.

Why wasn't the rock island marked?

Edited by Baddog
And in Utah, that can't be a small loss.

Why wasn't the rock island marked?

That was the first thing I asked the park ranger when I walked (got towed in and didn't dare drive it much) my boat onto the trailer. He said "We have a sign that says the water is low and there are hazards." I just said, "Nice." So I took it to the dealer today and guess what? I am the 8th person who has hit the same spot within the last week alone.

I am just glad we don't have a deep v hull i/o or I would have sunk it right there if not seriously injured several of the adults and children on board. I will post pics in the next reply.

$2500 is my total estimate - $1000 in labor and $1500 for parts. My insurance is picking it up too, so its only going to cost me $250 (for now, I'm sure my rates will jump). I am more concerned with the three week out that the dealer is. Plus, if I can do it myself and pocket the extra grand - I will have my new racks Yahoo.gif

Easy job if you can get your shaft out easily - probably take most of one day unless you have help. Did you mention your bearing strut?? If that is damaged, you will have to buy a new one. Your prop can probably be repaired (unless its missing a blade) and many shafts can be straightened. A new shaft is really expensive. Just be sure and get your shaft lined up with your engine at the coupling. That requires a feeler gauge to be certain the engine and shaft coupling are parallel with each other. YOu might have to move the engine around on its mounts to gain alignment but thats intuitive if you are as handy as you sound like.