Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat

Tahoe07

I recently bought a demo 2006 RLXI from a Malibu dealer. Great boat only 27 hours. The boat did not have a trailer include but the dealer said he had a 2005 trailer that fits this boat. I thought how bad could the trailer be it is only 1-2 seasons old. All along the dealer told me the trailer was like new. When I picked the boat up I notice that the taillights were broke but still worked fine. I thought that was an easy fix. That should have been a sign because I went 500 ft down the road and discovered the disc brakes were not working. Called my salesmen and he told me what do you want me to do about it. After I got the boat home I was checking everything out in detail and in doing so I found duct tape wrapped around one of the bunks. This bunk also scatched the hull first time out putting it back on the trailer. Agian talked to the dealer and got the same answer what do you want me to do, it is a used trailer.

Forgot to mention that I bought the boat in another state. The dealer is about 3 1/2 hours from my house. The dealer has offered to fix the trailer if I bring it back to them or they will refund my money on the used trailer for a new one. Cost on new trailer $3000 which he told me is thier cost.

Is this a good option the dealer is giving me? Should dealer deliver new trailer to me? Or should dealer reimburse me after getting things fixed in my hometown?

The moral of this story is never belief a dealer!!!! "The trailer is in new condition" that is the quote I got.

Would you buy a used car or boat without looking at it? Any reason why you didn't look at the trailer BEFORE you bought it? If he wouldn't let you see it I would think there is a big problem but the new trailer is priced right.

If they are offering to make it right, I'd take them up on it. $3000 is a pretty good price on a trailer, I would go that route if it were me.

Or ask them if they are willing to pay for gelcoat repairs, new lights and new bunks (lumber and carpeting). May be less trouble for both of you. For your trouble, try to get other gelcoat repairs fixed on the same bill... Innocent.gif If he can cheat and lie, why couldn't you? Dontknow.gif If it's good for him, it should be good for you.

No way would I encourage him by buying a new trailer from him. If you want a new one, tell him to come pick it up and you will by a new one from another dealer you can trust. Otherwise it tells him to screw people so that way you get more business...??

Edited by 1FootDan

Yup...with a boat like that...or ANY Malibu, no reason not to put it on a custom built, brand NEW trailer. I would take him up on the deal and give him that POS back and get a new trailer. Make sure it is a custom painted trailer to match the boat and not some "generic galanized thing" IMHO, that is. I would be sure and get it custom painted, decent wheels, etc...

Dealers and trailer co's typically cut corners on wheels, brakes, and paint.

But I would still give him the trailer back and get yerself a new one.

If they are offering to make it right, I'd take them up on it. $3000 is a pretty good price on a trailer, I would go that route if it were me.
Is this a good option the dealer is giving me? Should dealer deliver new trailer to me? Or should dealer reimburse me after getting things fixed in my hometown?

The moral of this story is never belief a dealer!!!! "The trailer is in new condition" that is the quote I got.

Any chance that trailer was exposed to salt or brackish water? You should be able to see what state it was registered in initially, or maybe the old license plate was on it when you bought it? With the problems you described, and the relative youthfullness of the trailer, could have been in seawater - that chews up a trailer VERY fast. Get a new trailer, IMO - you have too much $ in the boat to risk it on a bad trailer.