Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

So many problems w/ 06 VLX I have to swtich...

wakecrashin

I didn't mean to be harsh, sorry if it came off that way. FWIW, I have been in your situation of having a boat over several seasons that we couldn't use because it never worked right so yes, I do know & empathize with where you're coming from. The instant gratification remark was simply pointing to the fact that you're trying to fix one problem by potentially getting yourself into another one, & losing a tidy sum of money in the process. I personally wouldn't give repeat business to a dealer that had already shown a lack of willingness to fix problems such as you have had. The dealer is the root of the problem here, switching brands won't change that. JMO of course.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wakecrashin

• vlx wakesetter

• tgaugh

• stewart

Changing boat companys all together becuase Im tired of dealing with problems (deisgn/craftmanship/QA) related w/ Malibu.

Design, Craftsmanship and Quality Assurance don't sound like dealer issues to me.

Design...that's on you... that doesn't change from boat to boat under the Malibu line. Your research (or your dealer) should have steered you away from Malibu if it does not meet your needs.

Craftsmanship...there are lots of people who are very happy with the craftsmanship on their Malibu...unfortunately, you are not one of them. Hopefully, you'll have better luck with another brand.

Quality Assurance...These things happen. You may or may not be better off with another brand. Hopefully, you will not have the issues with the other brand your dealer sells.

But if your dealer can not resolve these issues for you, what makes you think you'll have better luck if you have some issues (any issues) on the other brand they sell? Or are they just trying to sell you another boat?

Plus1.gif Agreed with above statement!!!

It showed up from the factory with a ton of really bad issues?

I'd be interested in hearing them.

Is it the first model year on these issues? You can't expect to be the first one with new tech and not have some problems.

Changing boat companys all together becuase Im tired of dealing with problems (deisgn/craftmanship/QA) related w/ Malibu.

Design, Craftsmanship and Quality Assurance don't sound like dealer issues to me.

Design...that's on you... that doesn't change from boat to boat under the Malibu line. Your research (or your dealer) should have steered you away from Malibu if it does not meet your needs.

Craftsmanship...there are lots of people who are very happy with the craftsmanship on their Malibu...unfortunately, you are not one of them. Hopefully, you'll have better luck with another brand.

Quality Assurance...These things happen. You may or may not be better off with another brand. Hopefully, you will not have the issues with the other brand your dealer sells.

But if your dealer can not resolve these issues for you, what makes you think you'll have better luck if you have some issues (any issues) on the other brand they sell? Or are they just trying to sell you another boat?

Plus1.gif Agreed with above statement!!!

Exactly what I was getting at. And they guarantee that your current boat will be fixed, yet they can't seem to get it done for you under warranty? Really?

Im stuck and the dealer is def going to work with me on my trade ($3000 less than i paid for it) + 15% off new boat for all the hassles.

Does that discount include the motor and all major components or did the dealer forget that option Dontknow.gif Sounds like a killer deal Thumbup.gif

Edited by vlx wakesetter

I understand your frustration with this boat. I've had similar problems with autos in the past and the dealer just couldn't seem to get it fixed just right (and I did end up trading it in for a different brand BTW...apples and oranges, I know). Bear in mind that these dealers have a whole lot of "squeaky wheels" this time of year as people want/NEED to get their boats ready, lifts in, and all of their other problems fixed at the beginning of the season. Be the squeakiest wheel and you just may get them to move quickly for you. Or just be patient for another week or two and see if they can't solve your problems when things quiet down a bit. I feel for you, I really do, but I don't think I would give up on that boat just yet...it's too good of a ride to throw it away.

You know, I could be wrong, but I think Lemon Laws apply to boats also. Before you sell this boat, see if that's true and if you have a case. You might be able to get a replacement or credit towards another boat.

This is true, trust me I know. But, his repairs have been very minor.

That is probably why the dealer is willing to give him top dollar on his trade. The dealer is not stupid. Heck, they made $$ on the first deal, and now they will get some more. Rockon.gif

Everything has been covered under warranty, except for the gas per trip to take it to the dealer and back ($60per trip) and the time I cant use it on the water. Whether or not its minor or major reapirs under warranty, it still leaves me without what I need to get on the water, the boat. If I wanted this type of hassle I'd prob would of been better taking my chances on a much less expensive boat and hope nothing goes wrong. Its stupid that I payed all this money (for me its ALOT) for something that I cant use and is a hassle to own since Ive gotten it.

Wakegirl,

No beef, just frustrated with this whole thing.

Too add to the mess.... My dads neighbor in TN was about 15 miles from his house on the water when the same thing happened to mine last weekend, lost the throttle. All he/I had was Idle and reverse. I dont quite think Malibu has worked out all the Drive By Wire bugs yet. Boy he was piiissseeeeddd.

Im stuck and the dealer is def going to work with me on my trade ($3000 less than i paid for it) + 15% off new boat for all the hassles.

Does that discount include the motor and all major components or did the dealer forget that option Dontknow.gif Sounds like a killer deal Thumbup.gif

MSRP+Options-15%+ good trade for my boat.

Correct Craft: JD Powers and Assoc winner 6 yrs in a row.... Kind of says something. Def think when Malibu gets all the bugs worked out/ and start going the extra mile in their boats they will be right up there.

MSRP+Options-15%+ good trade for my boat.

Correct Craft: JD Powers and Assoc winner 6 yrs in a row.... Kind of says something. Def think when Malibu gets all the bugs worked out/ and start going the extra mile in their boats they will be right up there.

Malibu missed beating CC by two points this year, which considering they sell 3x as many boats as CC that's saying something.

Does CC make a nice product? Yes, as I've said earlier their build is second to none IMO, but they are susceptible to problems. These boats are hand made in low production numbers, unfortunately humans aren't perfect.

FWIW I have had no problems with the DBW on our VLX nor my friend's '07 VLX. Sounds like the dealership may even be screwing you over on service just to push you into a more expensive boat.

As others have said this sounds like a dealership issue, what makes you think their service is going to be any different for your CC?

I understand your frustration, I would be frustrated as well, but I'm not sure you're going to be any more satisfied with your new boat.

If a dealership treated me like that there is NO way I would ever give them another nickel...

You don't actually believe that JD powers crap do you.

I take it you dont? To each their own!

3rd party survey, why wouldnt I believe it? They are not payed or sponsored by any manufacturers. They have nothing to lose or gain.

3rd party survey, why wouldnt I believe it? They are not payed or sponsored by any manufacturers. They have nothing to lose or gain.

How do you think they get money to operate then? Do you think they just do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Anyone on the JD Powers has to pay to be there.

How do you think they get money to operate then? Do you think they just do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Anyone on the JD Powers has to pay to be there.

I'm not trying to get you to stay malibu, I think you should have whatever boat you want. Just don't blame your decision on build quality from malibu and think that any other manufacturer won't have thier own issues.

It sounds like your decision has been made, so have you ordered or bought your new correct craft from the same dealer?

you want to make your deal jump call malibu and start asking questions :unsure: they will call the dealer and start aksing wtf Mad.gif !!! i had to due this with the dealer i bought from 60 miles south BOOOOOY were they pissed i called bu in merced 100 miles north!! BUT THEY HAVE GOTTERN THINGS DONE FASTER FROM THEN ON!! Yahoo.gif

I havent bought anything yet. I wont even test drive the 210 till Friday when they bring it down to my location to test drive it and taking us out to dinner afterwards for all the crap problems with my old boat. They didnt even bring up getting me into a new boat. I brought it to their attention becuase I dont want to own something I cant use. Just the inconvience alone is what is killing me. The owner of the dealer kind of agree with me saying it could be a "friday boat". That why he is doing what he can to get me into something I will be happy with. Yes I understand all boats are man made and all have problems, but it is really hard to get this bad bad taste out of my mouth that the Malibu boat has left. You all may have great boats with no problems, my friends have mastercraft 10+yrs old and Malibus 3+ yrs old with no problems what so ever. Its not about how great your boat, your brand, it about "me" and having the ability to use what i payed for. Boat dealer/ car dealer/ RV dealer if something breaks they fix it under warranty. I have no problems with them fixing it, except once, it just that different things keep happening and Im at my wits end. I hope your not under the inpression that the dealer is like" F that boat buy this one!" , its more like me saying"im done with the headaches, I would like to consider something else".

After some research the only other option, in my price range is an X2. Sorry im leaving Malibu out guys, but until you really step into my shoes and feel what its like to have lost many beautiful weekdays and weekends due to the boat being in the shop you wont understand. Nonetheless having to drive 2 hours round trip after a long day at work w/ traffic.

Edited by wakecrashin
220 don't half a-s-s it, when you're done, post pics.

38.5 for the VLX, can pick up this weekend.

Why dont you quit wasting everyones time with your ridiculous offers! Its getting a little old buddy...

Maybe I missed something - but just how many weekends did you miss? Last I heard, you had just ordered the boat earlier this month.

What would you like from us? Dontknow.gif (honest question) Feels like you're doing a lot of justifying the switch.. it's your choice - hope you have better luck with your next boat Thumbup.gif

What would you like from us? Dontknow.gif (honest question) Feels like you're doing a lot of justifying the switch.. it's your choice - hope you have better luck with your next boat Thumbup.gif

Plus1.gif

I havent bought anything yet. I wont even test drive the 210 till Friday when they bring it down to my location to test drive it and taking us out to dinner afterwards for all the crap problems with my old boat. They didnt even bring up getting me into a new boat. I brought it to their attention becuase I dont want to own something I cant use. Just the inconvience alone is what is killing me. The owner of the dealer kind of agree with me saying it could be a "friday boat". That why he is doing what he can to get me into something I will be happy with. Yes I understand all boats are man made and all have problems, but it is really hard to get this bad bad taste out of my mouth that the Malibu boat has left. You all may have great boats with no problems, my friends have mastercraft 10+yrs old and Malibus 3+ yrs old with no problems what so ever. Its not about how great your boat, your brand, it about "me" and having the ability to use what i payed for. Boat dealer/ car dealer/ RV dealer if something breaks they fix it under warranty. I have no problems with them fixing it, except once, it just that different things keep happening and Im at my wits end. I hope your not under the inpression that the dealer is like" F that boat buy this one!" , its more like me saying"im done with the headaches, I would like to consider something else".

After some research the only other option, in my price range is an X2. Sorry im leaving Malibu out guys, but until you really step into my shoes and feel what its like to have lost many beautiful weekdays and weekends due to the boat being in the shop you wont understand. Nonetheless having to drive 2 hours round trip after a long day at work w/ traffic.

i figured that I would give you a little insight on my situation from a few years ago:

I purchased my first Malibu in 1996 and owned it until I traded up to my first V-Drive in 2001 upon purchasing my 2001 Wakesetter VLX I had MANY problems with the boat and had a bad taste in my mouth with Malibu (the boat spent more time in the shop that on the water). I realy started to shop the Nautiques thinking that the grass was going to be greener on the other side. Well to make a long story short I had alot of dealing with Don Woods of Malibu and other people and we decided to stay loyal with Malibu. Since the problems I have purchased a 2002, 2003 and a 2006 and none of them have had any problems except of small issues that everything has.

I just wanted you to know that there are all kinds of options in this world and don't think that if you change manufactures that everything will be better (you aren't even changing the shop).

Good Luck on you decision and I hope everything works out for the best. Have you considered trading in you boat for an 07/08 of the same model?

Albeit maybe the wrong site to do it, he wanted to know what people thought of the 210.

A friend rode behind both the 210 and the 220. She ended up getting the 220, because she liked the nice gradual shape of the wake. She rode behind a MasterCraft X-Star, X-15, 210, 220, Malibu VLX LSV and I think a Supra but I have no idea which model.

I certainly understand the mindset where you are coming from. However have you considered getting an 07 like suggested above? In 2000 we had an 2001 Audi A6 which was a complete lemon. It was so bad the owner even felt sorry for us. Transmission went, monthly recalls, electrical problems, etc. We ended up trading it the next year for a 2002 A6 and had zero problems. We were tempted to switch to BMW or Mercedes but both manufacturers have had worse problems than Audi(since 1998). We're glad we stuck with Audi and have gone on to buy several more cars from them.

Finally, as posted on another forum, my very first Malibu has sat in the yard for 4 weeks until the time we were ready to pick it up. Come launch weekend it wasn't ready. Do we feel like switching dealers? Yes. However unfortunately things don't always go to plan and major (unprofessional) mistakes occur. Malibu does have 22% of the market, and there is probably a reason for it besides great value. It's probably not fair to write an entire company off on one product or experience alone.

Good luck regardless of your choice.

OK final offer. 38.5K, Tgaugh picks up and delivers, then takes back to Ronnie. He then brings back to me.