Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration while turning

Over the holiday weekend I "bumped" a log or under water tree at very slow speed that caused me to cringe. Cry.gif As I continued the day I thought that I got lucky since I did not notice any problems with performance or handling. I even pulled it out to look at the prop and shaft to see if I could see and bends or damage and it looked as though I got away with it.

Now, I've had the opportunity to notice that when at speed and making a turn there is a distinct vibration. ...Doesn't happen when at speed and going straight.

So, do you think it is a slight bend in the prop that is causing this vibration or could it be in the steering mechanism. I was most worried about the driveshaft as that seems to be a bigger problem to fix, but if it was the shaft it would most likely vibrate going straight as well.

I had plans to purchase a back-up OJ prop anyway and will do this now to see if that makes the vibration go away but thought I'd throw it out there for another opinion or to see if anyone else has had this type of vibration or a guess at what might be causing it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mook

Is the wedge down during the vibration? Mine vibrates a tad bit when the wedge is down, but I attribute it to the messed up water/turbluence directly behind the rudder.

Otherwise, my vote would be prop out of true. Dontknow.gif

Best of luck,

Thanks Scott.

No, my 2001 does not have the wedge, so definitely not that....

I couldn't see any marks on the prop from being hit, but I think it is still possible since it was most likely a branch or log that might not mar the prop and if it was big enough I think it could have bent the entire blade which would make it even more difficult to see with the nekid eye.

Gotta think there have been quite a few damaged props or steering mech's in this group and that they may not have shown problems until turning at speed.

Any other thoughts? Dontknow.gif

At the ramp this last weekend a guy said he bent he prop and there was a horrible shake and vibration that he thought was a lost blade of the prop. When I saw the prop they was about a 1 inch dent that bend the tip of the blade in a little, you could see it but I was expecting to see something much worse the way he described it. So it's very possible that any little variation could cause it, plus they are so thin and soft. I'd pull it and have it checked for balance to be safe.

Edited by 68Slalom
If you could get a hand on a dial indicator, you could prove you shaft?

Good point, if you (mook222) where closer you could borrow mine. I ruled that out because he mentioned it didn't do it on the straight. What do you think the tolerance would be .020-.030" or would that be too much, I'm just wondering because I have the same thing and I don't think I ever hit anything but I bought the boat with 4 hrs.

Good point, if you (mook222) where closer you could borrow mine. I ruled that out because he mentioned it didn't do it on the straight. What do you think the tolerance would be .020-.030" or would that be too much, I'm just wondering because I have the same thing and I don't think I ever hit anything but I bought the boat with 4 hrs.

0.020"-0.30" seems a bit much. Can anyone check on a new Bu?

0.020"-0.30" seems a bit much. Can anyone check on a new Bu?

I would think you would need to check it in two places if possible? I need to look at mine but is there is enough room to check it right in front of the prop "I don't know how much space there is" and right where it comes out the hull!!! I was thinking there would be at least a .005" change in just the shaft dia. and there has to be at least .010-.015 from the collar but I could be wrong way wrong :unsure:

If there is a bend, you would see it more in the center... I think. Might as well check all 3 places.

Hard to beleive that you have damage to the shaft/strut bearing without visible damage to the propeller. I would do the simple things first - swap out the prop and see if that is the problem. Odds are you have some minor damage to the prop. As you probably know, a vibration in your drivetrain can seriously damage transmissions and v drives.

Hard to beleive that you have damage to the shaft/strut bearing without visible damage to the propeller. I would do the simple things first - swap out the prop and see if that is the problem. Odds are you have some minor damage to the prop. As you probably know, a vibration in your drivetrain can seriously damage transmissions and v drives.

Yeah, they have templets they use. I saw a guy fix one once, the only thing he didn't do was balance it because the guy wasn't there that day, but you really should do both.

I went ahead and bought a new OJ 475 prop through Greg's (D-GOOSE) Group Buy and will change it out to see if there is a noticable difference.

Hopefully there is an improvement and I can fix my current prop as a good back-up.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mook