Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter floor question

I have a 2000 sunsetter lxi. On both sides of the engine the floor is bowed down. I put a 4 foot straight edge down and the passenger side is about 1/2" low and the driver side is maybe 3/8" low. The floor isn't soft just not flat. I'm new to malibu boats, is this typical? I have to say I'm a little surprised I've owned a couple of older and lesser quality boats and never had this problem. I assume the only fix is to ripping up and replace floor? It will have to get worse than is it before I do that. Thanks for your insight!

I have a 2000 sunsetter lxi. On both sides of the engine the floor is bowed down. I put a 4 foot straight edge down and the passenger side is about 1/2" low and the driver side is maybe 3/8" low. The floor isn't soft just not flat. I'm new to malibu boats, is this typical? I have to say I'm a little surprised I've owned a couple of older and lesser quality boats and never had this problem. I assume the only fix is to ripping up and replace floor? It will have to get worse than is it before I do that. Thanks for your insight!

Very possible I could be wrong but I believe these floors are fiberglass and molded into the shell when the boat is made and therefore, ripping it up is not an option like it would be in a lesser boat with a wood floor.

My 93 Echelon Lx had the same thing.

I spoke to MAlibu about it and since I was the original owner I had a lifetime warranty on the hull Clap.gif

I took it to Malibu and they replaced the floor and the flotation foam underneath ( which is waht originall caused the uneveness in the floor and now she floats better than before.

If you are the original owner or have transfered the warranty when you bought it used MAlibu should fix it.

Goo Luck

I've not noticed any "bowing" on my '02 Sunsetter floor, but then again I've never put a 4' straight edge to it. Now I'm going to do just that, and if the thing bows, I'm going to blame you for pointing it out to me! :)

My Boat is in the shop having all new interior and carpet replaced. I noticed this bow in mine about 5 months ago. My dealer called me last week and asked if any work had been done to the floor in my boat. I told him I was the original owner and no work had been done to the floor. While the carpet was out they were going to pour some fiberglass resin on top to try to level it out. Should I stop them and have Malibu replace the the floor and flotation foam under lifetime hull warranty?

My 1998 RLX has an uneven spot on the port side halfway between the motor box and the rear deck. Probably a section about 10" ~ 14" long, and 3/8" ~ 1/2" lower.

Really bothered me when I first bought the boat (used) 3 years ago. I worried that I might have a soft mushy spot.... or delamination, or something worse.

Here it is 3 more years later. Same uneven spot. Nothing mushy. Just an uneven fibreglassing job I assume done in 1998 when the hull was laid.

It has stopped bothering me.

Heck, I'm older than my Malibu.... I have uneven spots..... many too difficult to fix. I've learned to live with them.

My 1998 RLX has an uneven spot on the port side halfway between the motor box and the rear deck. Probably a section about 10" ~ 14" long, and 3/8" ~ 1/2" lower.

Really bothered me when I first bought the boat (used) 3 years ago. I worried that I might have a soft mushy spot.... or delamination, or something worse.

Here it is 3 more years later. Same uneven spot. Nothing mushy. Just an uneven fibreglassing job I assume done in 1998 when the hull was laid.

It has stopped bothering me.

Heck, I'm older than my Malibu.... I have uneven spots..... many too difficult to fix. I've learned to live with them.

Sounds like you could be describing me as well, but most of my uneven spots tend to bulge out, not in. I think your right about the floor. Thanks for the sanity check!

My Boat is in the shop having all new interior and carpet replaced. I noticed this bow in mine about 5 months ago. My dealer called me last week and asked if any work had been done to the floor in my boat. I told him I was the original owner and no work had been done to the floor. While the carpet was out they were going to pour some fiberglass resin on top to try to level it out. Should I stop them and have Malibu replace the the floor and flotation foam under lifetime hull warranty?

theres nothing structurally wrong with the boat. Malibu had issues with keeping the foam taks at controlled temp. back then and had problems with the floatation foam creating gas bubbles under the floor, which in turn over a few years would start creating either dips or bumps in the floor. I had both. They weren't very largebut still were there.

Since Malibu is only 1 hr. from my house I opted to have ithem fixed along with some other mods I wanted at the time Clap.gif

• 2 months later...

I have them in my 95 sunsetter as well. I bought it new and the showed up about 3 years ago. Mine are not soft either, I figured the fiberglass was fatiguing from the weight of some of my larger friends. When my interior starts to look worn I will address the issue as it is a lifetime guarantee.

My '95 has the same issue.

I am assuming that the hull warranty is for original owner only. Correct?

I'm number 2...