Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ignition breaker short circuit

Greetings,

I have a '99 Sunsetter LXI with an Ignition problem - this all seemed to start after providing a jump start to a fellow boater. Here's the chain of events:

Ignition/Computer/Horn circuit breaker blew while cruising.

Reset breaker a few times and boat ran fine for the rest of the day.

Went back out a few days later and could not keep the boat running. It would no longer start.

Thought it may be the coil and ordered a new one.

Pulled ignition module and it tested BAD at AutoZone. Ordered new one.

Replaced coil and ignition module.

Disconected Horn and Horn switch to rule out the horn.

Boat will now start but only reads about 10 volts on voltmeter gauge on dash.

Ignition/Computer/Horn blew after about one minute.

I obviously have a short but I cannot locate it. I get a reading of about 1-3 volts between the negative post and disconnected neg cable on a digital multimeter with the ignition off.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Dave

Chico, CA

Greetings,

I have a '99 Sunsetter LXI with an Ignition problem - this all seemed to start after providing a jump start to a fellow boater. Here's the chain of events:

Ignition/Computer/Horn circuit breaker blew while cruising.

Reset breaker a few times and boat ran fine for the rest of the day.

Went back out a few days later and could not keep the boat running. It would no longer start.

Thought it may be the coil and ordered a new one.

Pulled ignition module and it tested BAD at AutoZone. Ordered new one.

Replaced coil and ignition module.

Disconected Horn and Horn switch to rule out the horn.

Boat will now start but only reads about 10 volts on voltmeter gauge on dash.

Ignition/Computer/Horn blew after about one minute.

I obviously have a short but I cannot locate it. I get a reading of about 1-3 volts between the negative post and disconnected neg cable on a digital multimeter with the ignition off.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Dave

Chico, CA

Hello Dave,

i had almost the same problem except i didn't change a coil or module. mine kept popping that breaker and my volt guage was down around 9volts. my battery was fine so i went to the alternator, i took it out had it tested it was good so i cleaned all the terminals on it and the wires that go to it, i put it back together and the problem was solved. just a bad conection is all i can figure (i did clean the battery terminals too) when you disconect your alternator check your voltage drop again see if it drops from the 1-3 volts. hope this helps .

Gary

Thanks,

Pulled alternator, tested OK, & cleaned terminals. Now things really short out quickly.

I am now getting 12 plus volts at the negative battery post. Purple wires to the emergency kill switch get very hot before breaker blows when running. Switch seems to be OK though - I did bypass it on one attempt.

Still stumped and don't want to fry another ignition module......

Thanks again though.

• 13 years later...

any solution to this?  my purple wires from the ignition to kill switch also get Very hot before breaker blows

Edited by wakesetterDD
  • 9 months later...

I’m also interested in the solution. I just purchased a 2002 Sunsetter with 158 hours.  Seems to have the same excessive draw on ignition circuit.  Pulls 3 amps with key on and 25 amps when engine runs. Of course only until the Ignition/Horn circuit breaker trips.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.