Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power on land not in water???

I go to launch the boat on Monday and when we get the boat backed into the water I go to turn the key and.....NOTHING. No power, engine wont turn over, nothing. As soon as we pull up on to level road, I have power. Check the battery connections and all looks fine. What is going on? Dontknow.gif

sure sounds like a loose connection to me. Or the circuit breaker. Start at the battery and trace the main cables from there. When you were in the water did you not have anything? No even a click, or a weak blower..anything?

sure sounds like a loose connection to me. Or the circuit breaker. Start at the battery and trace the main cables from there. When you were in the water did you not have anything? No even a click, or a weak blower..anything?

Nothing in the water at all. Really weird. As soon as you pull the boat up on the level road, I had power to everything.

This is what I would do, sit in the boat with the key on and you should have power right. Have someone back you in until you loose power, this sounds crazy but it sounds like it may be shorting out when your prop touches the water it is all linked and grounded together. See if you loose power when the prop hits the water, try and find out if it's just the angle of the boat. If you loose power before you get the boat "wet" then the "grounding thing" is not it, could just be a loose wire somewhere. If you loose power when the prop hits the water you are shorting out somewhere, but you need to find out if this is what it really is.

Keep us posted..........

This is going to be interesting :blush:

It sounds like a ground...it works Biggrin.gif on the ground, and doesn't on the water.

LOL, If this happened to me it would be that funny. But that was a good one,

Sorry about the jokes: Malibu Stew, it just seems to happen to everyone.

It sounds like a ground...it works Biggrin.gif on the ground, and doesn't on the water.

LOL, If this happened to me it would be that funny. But that was a good one,

Sorry about the jokes: Malibu Stew, it just seems to happen to everyone.

LOL.....It helps to have a little humor when stuff like this happens. I will let you know what I find. :lol:

Maybe it has something to do with the angle the boat is at. Level on land, bow up attitude on the ramp. Causing some electrical connection, like the safety switch to move.

Did you try anything else besides starting the boat? If it is the safety switch blower should work as well as the lights and other accessories.

OldHickory

Did you try anything else besides starting the boat? If it is the safety switch blower should work as well as the lights and other accessories.

OldHickory

When in the water, I could get absolutely nothing to work. No horn, blower, stereo, lights, nothing. I looked at the safety kill switch and it appeared to be working fine. I called my dealer and even the service manager was stumped. I left it with him this afternoon for his techs to look at. Hopefully a vedict tomorrow. Dontknow.gif

Turns out it was a loose connection that was only becoming loose at the angle of being in the water. Very glad that I didnt find that out on site. Have a major oil leak...........