Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Erratic Oil Pressure

Lieutenant Dan

I think I have a sensor or electrical problem on my Sunsetter. The needle on my Oil Pressure gauge jumps around erratically. Any suggestions?

Actually that is kind of a standard feature on the vintage boat that you have.

Yes.gif:lol: Yes, unfortunately it's true -- mine does the same thing, especially when I am idling around. But when the boat is up to speed, the gauge appears accurate & doesn't bounce much.

Yep sounds normal to me. At idle it should move up and down now when you put pressure on it it moves up to 80 psi (I think that sounds right). No worries though!!!!

I think that's a standard option that comes with the boat. Unfortunately, there wasn't a factory upgrade option available if you want it to actually work right at idle. Mine will either read correctly at idle or it bounces, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it as it has a mind of it's own.

Surfing.gif

I think I have a sensor or electrical problem on my Sunsetter. The needle on my Oil Pressure gauge jumps around erratically. Any suggestions?

Unless it's been replaced before, your oil pressure sender has a few years on it. Mine doesn't jump around at idle...I'd replace the sender first and see if that helps any. Though I don't know what they cost, I wouldn't think they'd be too expensive.

Mine did that until I changed the sender. Works fine now. Got it from discount inboard marine

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed this out the other day. I went cheap though and bought the PCM part for $22 from Overtons. Same part number that I pulled out of my boat, works fine.