Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth gauge flashes "400.0"

At the end of the season last year, our depth gauge started acting strange occasionally. Periodically while at idle or cruise, the display would flash "400.0". When we took the boat in for it's pre-season service a few weeks ago we had the dealer check it out. They said they found and solved the problem after a lake test; a loose ground wire.

Last weekend we took the boat out for the first time after the repair, and i'm still getting the intermittent "400.0" display. The display is also reading "BAD" when the key is first turned on.

When I called my dealer on Tuesday to bring it back in, I was told they couldn't get me in until June 2nd, 1 day before I leave for the river! The receptionist said she would have the service manager call me back when he gets done, and that was 3 days ago. HELP.

Has anyone had the 400 or BAD display , and if so what did it take to solve it? I feel much more comfortable on the river with an operational gauge.

Thanks, Wes

The second half of last season our depth gauge wasn't working.

It was rewired when it was winterized.

This spring it's only worked for 15minutes out of three times out. It was reading 0.6 occasionally it would change to a different number. The dealer replaced the transducer and it's working great now.

I think the initial flash of bad may be normal, I will watch next time we are out.

Edited by hbrew

How deep was the water you were in when it was flashing like that?

In my old boat it would flash like that when the depth was over 400 ft.

It would flash "400" even in relatively shallow water.

I called the dealer again today and was able to speak with the service manager this time. After explaining the situation, he's going to get me in on Tues. Said it could still be a ground problem, or the module. He has the module in stock if it's needed. The "BAD" display at startup is normal as long as it goes out right away.

I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

what did the problem end up being on this?? i am having troubles with my depth finder working. it is working about 1/2 the time. the other times it just sticks and flashes on a number,,,,or sometimes at .5

I had a problem with my lowrence flashing bogus readings like this on my 00 VLX last summer. I found a replacement dash module on ebay and swaped them out myself. Worked fine after that.

Mine started acting up last year. It flashes 2 ft in deep, well not that deep (400ft), water. Our lakes only go to about 200 or so.

i'm not sure about what is in the response now, but the last two units had a sensitivity adjustment on the back of the display module.

spun too far one direction and the display would flash.

My depth gauge flashers BAD all the time. I was told not to worry about it by my dealer. I'm still a bit concerned. Doesn't BAD mean BAD. Alert!!

BAD means that the signal is not clear or accurate. Usually shows this for a few seconds at startup, but should not display after that. Sounds like a problem to me.

Turns out it was the module.

The dealer (Paradise Watersports, Riverside) got me in and fixed-up in time for my trip. 20 hrs. on the meter later, and it's still working great :) The BAD reading upon start-up seems to be the norm.