Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical wierdness

Hi,

This past weekend I ran into a problem where the following happens all at the same time:

-the depth finder will intermittently blink at about a one second rate periodically, it also appears to measure only 1/2 the expected depth.

-also the oil pressure gauge will display about 30 psi / instead of the normal 40 psi.

-also the engine temp will display about 155 instead of the normal 160.

Now the wierd part, sometimes it works ok for a ski run, sometimes it will start out in the state I described above, but then the depth finder will fix itself. Most of the time it's just in this weird state.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Don

By the way my Perfect Pass display still goes out (has since I had it installed by the dealer). Dealer tried 4 times to fix the display and but finally changed the display out. On one lake it worked fine and other lake it started to go out...but that is another story I will deal with later Cry.gif

Hi,

This past weekend I ran into a problem where the following happens all at the same time:

-the depth finder will intermittently blink at about a one second rate periodically, it also appears to measure only 1/2 the expected depth.

-also the oil pressure gauge will display about 30 psi / instead of the normal 40 psi.

-also the engine temp will display about 155 instead of the normal 160.

Now the wierd part, sometimes it works ok for a ski run, sometimes it will start out in the state I described above, but then the depth finder will fix itself. Most of the time it's just in this weird state.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Don

By the way my Perfect Pass display still goes out (has since I had it installed by the dealer). Dealer tried 4 times to fix the display and but finally changed the display out. On one lake it worked fine and other lake it started to go out...but that is another story I will deal with later Cry.gif

I would first check all grounds to the dash and make sure they are secure. When weird things happen electrically, it's usually a ground issue.

The only thing I found was my ground wire to the hellroaring combiner was loose. I can't tell sitting in the drive way if that will fix it so I need to wait a week before our next trip.

-Don

• 3 weeks later...

The electrical weirdness is still present although I have some other symptoms. This is what I see:

- Depth finder blinks last depth for a period of time and then work normally. Sometimes it will display 0.5 for a few minutes after the boat is started, sometimes it works fine.

- When increasing the throttle, once the RPMs get greater than 4700 RPM the readout on the Perfect Pass will jump around but slowly decrease even though I can hear the engine going faster. At wide open the RPMs will show about 4200 - 4400.

- At times the oil pressure will show slightly lower than normal as does the temp all about the same time. Sometimes it fixes it self.

- If I leave the ignition key on over time I can hear slight changes (drops lower and returns to normal) in the tone of the beep.

Sitting in the lake with the ignition on but engine off everything appears to work fine. Voltage is about 12.4 at the ignition. With engine running I am seeing 14.1 volts.

Any ideas?

Could the alternator be bad? Have you checked all the electrical connections for corrosion and tightness? Could the battery be bad?

i think the 12.4 with the engine off, key on for the volts is about right. it will show 14.1 when engine is running because the system is charging. the depth guage flashing means the system is trying to get a good reading (means that it does NOT have a lock on current depth). But it could all be part of your electrical gremlins too. my factory depth guage has NEVER worked correctly.

I have added a second battery this spring, bat1 is at 12.5 and bat2 13.1 volts. Bat2 is only used as a reserve and for the Stereo amp. I am thinking of swapping them. Is it possible the computer could be going?

It sounds like you have a loose electrical connection going to the dash (simple problem). Could be nothing more than a loose fuse holder. Or your voltage regulator is acting up (not so simple problem). When it is working (14.1 volts) everything is normal. When it is not (12.5 volts) your gauges drop. Try to get a voltage reading when the problem occurs with the engine running and see if you still have your 14.1 volts.

I connected the multimeter with alligator clips and pulled the family a few runs with out seeing a problem. (connected to the engine on lug of the switch) The 14.1 volts stayed consistent. No drops in voltage, even when the depth sounder stopped working.

Sounds like a loose electrical connection. Easy to fix, if you can find it...

My depth finder stops working some times, but only at high speed. It will flash .5 until I slow down. It will also flash .5 on the trailer. I don't think it's an electrical issue, it just loses its readings at higher speeds.