Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

So Many Malibus, So Little Free Space to Ski

meb885

I wasnt too sure about getting out on the lake today....afraid too many people would be rushing the lake..... sand bar parties, newbies, nobody watching where their going, and oh....BOAT RAMPS

I decided to head out pulling into the gates of dodge park im immediately not happy "BOAT LAUNCH FULL, NO ADDITIONAL TRAILER SPACE" Cry.gif Good thing my company sponsors events at Dodge every year.... the booth person waved me thru telling me to be careful due to crowedness. Tongue.gif I get down the ramp after almost getting hit head on by 2 other people with bass boats exiting. I get down to the ramp and what do i see? total chaos!!! there are 4 ramp spaces. Person 1 is in the water with their boat and a sponge, person 2 is taking up the ENTIRE center two ramp spaces and launching his 17' Sea-Doo, and Person 3 is in a cabin cruiser fiddling with his outdrive and basically jerking off with a sponge. one of them finally moved i dont even remember which one at this point. we got my boat into the water, i pull off the trailer and wait for about the 5 min it took my brother to park my truck and trailer, in the process a FAT lady...and i mean FAT with a minivan and a 1 jetski trailer... is right where my boat is sitting screaming at me to move my @&@(@(* Boat (there was a free space now next to me) i asked her if she could use the next spot over and she put her hands on her hips and said "I am NOT going to risk hitting that other persons boat. you need to move NOW! after telling her how nice she was being...using a LOT more 4 letter words then that.... i moved, when i left 10 min later from that she still didnt have her 1 jetski back on the trailer....obviously no idea what she was doing. i should of just offered to carry it out with a friend or 2.....

So with the ramp fiasco out of the way, we headed out onto the lake where we found about 200-225 boats tied off to a sandbar with at least 100 more boats just every other which way you looked on the water..... there were more boats out on Cass then i have ever seen.

We Cruised around for a while, had lots of fun, suddenly we decided we wanted the tube and other swim suits out of my truck..... and needed some more gas so back toward the ramps.... i was hoping there were enough people in or out that itd be slowed down... no luck.... lots of dumb *@@!((@'s out there still.... i had to run the bow up into some soft patchy sand.... not hard and not deep but it was the only way to get people off and on....i wasnt happy...even if it was only 10 minutes. so we got everything, inflated the tube by man-power and got some gas.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful....some tubing, some skiing and a lot of laughing. I saw so many Malibus but am still kind of new to the crew so i dont know if i recogized anyone.... was anyone out on cass lake today? see my Echelon?

Pulling out was the same 3 ring circus but everyone was pulling 2 feet out of the water tying down, and cleaning their boats.... more 4 letter words, and i got out of the water.

Was a Fun and LONG day out on the water.....definately got some hours on the boat today!

-Mark

So were you feeling like this at the end of the day or the start of the day Crazy.gif? It sounds like if anyone needed extra ballast they could go looking for the lady in the minivan to help out with a bigger wake ROFL.gif

Thank you for reminding me why I never go out on a holiday weekend. It's hard to be at home in sunny 80 degree weather and not be on the boat. But just when I start thinking, maybe it won't be that bad this year, I'll get a reminder of why we don't go out. I saw so many boats just out on the road yesterday, I knew the lake (and launch ramp) had to be bad.

Generally, I try to stay away from the lake on a holiday weekend as that story plays out here nearly every weekend. BUT Monday morning was a little drizzly, I wanted to get the old boat out for it's real shakedown and run it under load, - OH - and to get my 2 yr old out on the boat. Fortunately the weather kept most people inside and the local 'zoo' was quieter than I expected. It wasn't skiing calm & we didn't have a third, so no time behind the boat, but I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the launching & trailering processes went. We got everytning checked out, a little cruise time on the lake & the boat back in it's 'closet' just before it really started to rain (for about 10 mins) and were back home by noon.

Not so bad here, launched the boat around 11:00 PM friday nite. We were the only ones at the ramp. (OK so not prime time) But the good thing is the weather was cold, cloudy and a little windy during mid day. But it never rained and early and late we had good water. Temps were fine with a 2mm wetsuit. Mid day was mostly surfing weather because of the wind and waves but not many boats out at all. Most of those out were fishing.

Now, 4th of July will probably be a little different.

MEB, thanks for the story tho. Reminded me of earlier Friday when we hit a lake on the way up north. The folks at the ramp were reasonable but when we were pulling out there was one boat tring to get started, another where a shiney new mastercraft was having some 'team communications problems' that congested things a little. Like, oh, having a rope tied to the boat would be a good idea, daa.... But the other two ramps were clicking and we only waited like 10 minutes to get to the dock.

Weekends, especially holiday weekends, are just a cluster, umm, of people/idiots on my lake so I only ski between 6:30-8:30 a.m. and get the heck off the water before Wally and all his/her buddies come a cruisin'.

Yesterday afternoon, however, my wife was bored and wanted to go out and just float in the sun (which we rarely do). So I headed out and crossed the main body of the lake, survived, and anchored in a relatively quiet no wake area to chill. I couldn't believe how many stupid, stinkin' idiots STILL came so close to me with huge wakes trailing and stupid grins on their stupid faces. Lost count of how many of them were Bayliners. One super idiot acutally turned nearly into me so she could avoid two stupid and filthy geese. Go figure. The CFO's response was something to the effect of: "but this is the geese' home." I was prompt to correct her with the fact that they are called CANADIAN Geese for a reason and THAT is/should be their home. (See the other thread on illegal aliens).

Oh, and have a nice day.

I have to admit to you that I had a good laugh at your expense. ROFL.gif I hope you got to relax some what....

Gee, Thanks Guys. I did get to relax and had a lot of fun whipping my brother and cousin off the tube tied to the transom hook (too many people in the boat to use the ski pole by the time we got around to tubing) it seemed i launched with me and 3 people and somehow ended up WAYYYYYY over coast guard capacity.... Good thing my echelon doesnt have a capacity plate.... "no officer, i had no idea u couldnt put 15 people on this boat!" (i didnt have 15 on my boat....im not insane....maybe if i had an LX)

ok im ready to add a wedge, some ballast, and the pole extension. i wanna wakeboard if im not gonna get my VTX i want.

oh, i forgot what made the whole day worth it for me.... i was in one of the no wake zones and this guy, prob in his mid 40's is cruising past me the opposite direction and is in a prob early 2000's "Sunscape" and takes one look at the huge ECHELON letters on my boat and pulls up RIGHT along side me, we both stop, get to talking.... he was amazed to see an echelon out on the water.....kept complimenting me on how good it looked, came aboard, came with us for a cruise around the lake, leaving his CFO in charge of his boat.... it was a good time, made me feel proud to have as he called it "A Piece of Malibu History"

i love it when people on the water know their boats..... i can't tell u how many people i said "nice boat" to and got wierd looks.... one guy with a VLX was like "yeah i just got it cuz the mastercraft dealer was a jackass and my son told me this one was the best, i dont really know anything about boats" *cough* too much spare money *cough*

We sat and watched all the crazies this weekend. At one time there were 20 boats and jetskis in front of the house, buzzing everywhere. Most were pulling tubes behind the pontoons, Bayliners and jetskis but there were actually two WB boats (one Malibu) and one jetski pulling Kitetubes. Imagine all the others pulling tubes at ~20 mph, zig/ziging all around and these other three idiots with the kitetubes running back & forth through them WIDE OPEN trying to get the tubes up in the air.

Crazy.gifCrazy.gif

...one guy with a VLX was like "yeah i just got it cuz the mastercraft dealer was a jackass and my son told me this one was the best, i dont really know anything about boats" *cough* too much spare money *cough*
Atleast the guy's got a smart kid. Biggrin.gif

I had to work all week-end but yesterday after work I stopped by the ramp just to watch... ROFL.gif ...forget licensing...boat ownership should require an IQ test. What a bunch of morons. :lol: And inconsiderate morons at that. Fingerwag.gif Blocking lanes, holding boats blocking docks, launching and loading with ropes, throwing 4-letter bombs at the spouse... ROFL.gif Not exactly family entertainment but entertainment none-the-less. Glad I wasn't out there among them. Yes.gif

We found some great water, up one of the creek arms. Of course it was a 5 mph zone but hey someone needed to use it. The total amount of boats appeared to be less than that of previous years. Nothing major to report about the water conditions just the same ol’ thing ski early or late and the water is basically yours.

That kind of mayhem at the launch ramps and on the water is why I usually try to avoid holidays as well.

We did get out yesterday for a much needed break from work and boxes. The weather was abit overcast and cool in the morning which pretty much gave us the river to ourselves for the morning. It turned out the be warmer and sunnier later in the day, so I would imagine it was busier later.

Our only bit of angst came when we went to start the boat for the first rider - me. My son turned the key and ...nothing. I had just charged one battery the night before, but not the other one. I had the Perko switch set to 'all', so I switched it to '1' (the charged battery) and it started right up. We didn't turn off the engine the rest of the time and I have the second battery on the charger right now.

I got out on the water 2 days without any crowds. All the crazies go out of town and the river is usually pretty deserted. After watching the news and realizing that 9 people died on the roadways in Oregon this past weekend, I don't think I will ever travel over Memorial weekend!!!

We got out last weekend for the 1st trip of the season. Cold, windy, miserable conditions but - hey - it's the first ride of the year. So we were hanging out near the ramp cuz that was the only semi-rideable water on the lake when all of a sudden my oldest son who was driving at the time sez "we gotta go to the ramp - there's arm waving & yelling going on". Sure enough the fat dude in one of those things that looks like a pregnant jet ski who had up until then been spending his time cutting us off whenever we got going on a straight run was trying to load his boatlet. His fat wife was standing on the ramp yelling at him and some other wide load chickie was waving her arms. Honest to Gawd - I have never seen anyone drive off a trailer before but this dude did it a couple of times. He'd get in close and then his wife would yell "put it in NEUTRAL". Good plan. So he would. Then the wind which was a capital B all day would grab him and away he would go again. We idled over for a look and listen but they were so wrapped up in themselves they never noticed.

We got out last weekend for the 1st trip of the season. Cold, windy, miserable conditions but - hey - it's the first ride of the year. So we were hanging out near the ramp cuz that was the only semi-rideable water on the lake when all of a sudden my oldest son who was driving at the time sez "we gotta go to the ramp - there's arm waving & yelling going on". Sure enough the fat dude in one of those things that looks like a pregnant jet ski who had up until then been spending his time cutting us off whenever we got going on a straight run was trying to load his boatlet. His fat wife was standing on the ramp yelling at him and some other wide load chickie was waving her arms. Honest to Gawd - I have never seen anyone drive off a trailer before but this dude did it a couple of times. He'd get in close and then his wife would yell "put it in NEUTRAL". Good plan. So he would. Then the wind which was a capital B all day would grab him and away he would go again. We idled over for a look and listen but they were so wrapped up in themselves they never noticed.

Gotta love the idiots of the world for their entertainment value.

The crazies were out in force on our little puddle Monday. When a boat load of teens swerved at my downed boarder (missing him by 20-30 feet give or take) I gave up and trailered it. I had to remind myself that I was suppose to be relaxing. Too bad it didn't work out that way.

Unfortunately we had similiar experiences to many of you this weekend. Most dissapointing was the fact that two incidents directly involving me came from bu owners. I almost started a topic about my disappointment and expectations of owners of malibus and realized anyone can buy any brand of boat. I just wanted to believe that Bu owners were different and a "cut above".

First episode: Up in the narrows at Naci (a no wake, very narrow finger of the lake) tied up with a few other friends having lunch along with probably 5 or 6 other groups in the general vicinty doing the same thing. All of the sudden here comes a new all white VLX with what appeared to be tanks full and wedge down at about 15 miles per hour. You can imagine what happened. Boats were everywhere. Everyone was screaming to deaf ears and I now need about $500 of gel work from cleats. Even with bouys everywhere the boats were on top of each other. Same thing happened to the other groups. After a few minutes we all separated in anticipation of a return trip from the idiots and lo and behold here they came. This time they were screaming "Just get over it". A couple of folks from another group chased them out of the area and I am not sure what happened. I am just choosing to believe it was justice in some form.

Second episode: Decided to stay late on the lake and catch some good water before dark and of course miss all of the fun at the ramp as most of the crowds were leaving so we came into the ramp dock around 3:30 in order to get some sweatshirts out of the truck and put some stuff away. As I pull up to the dock I notice a Bu owner standing on the dock staring into his boat. A white and yellow 06 23 LSV. He was in the middle of the dock preventing boats from pulling up on either side. I had my son nose in and I just stepped off as we couldn't park. I walked over to the guy and asked if everything was ok as he looked kind of dazed, as I was about to ask him if he could move forward or back a little he grabbed me and almost knocked us both in the water. I stood him up and he said "I think I need help, I think I am too drunk to get my boat out of the water and don't know how I got here. After a very difficult and lengthy conversation I was able to determine that he had no clue where any of the people he came with were and there was no one in site and I was able to get his keys from him and a description of his vehicle. I went and got his truck after putting him back in his boat to lay down, brought it to the ramp and got the boat trailered and back up into the parking lot. At this point I faced a real dilema. I didn't want to give him his keys back for fear that he would try and drive and I didn't want to give them to the lake patrol as they are the county sherrif's and I had no clue what they would do to him. By the time I got parked and everything situated he was sound asleep (or passed out) on the back seat of the boat. I finally made the decision to take his keys to the general store and the clerk agreed to keep them at least until they closed and would then give them to the front gate. I'm not sure what ever happened but the truck and boat were gone when we came off the water 4 hours later.

It was quite a day and I have vowed to never let anyone influnce my better judgement again. I have never had any of my boats over the last 30 years on the water on holidays and my first experience was certainly a confirmation of my opinion. I only wish my two big episodes were not Malibu's.

I'm sure glad that I live on a private lake, we went out on the boat at approximatly 1:00 left the lake at 4:30 and than returned to the lake again at 6:00 (what a great day to be on the lake)

I'm sure glad that I live on a private lake, we went out on the boat at approximatly 1:00 left the lake at 4:30 and than returned to the lake again at 6:00 (what a great day to be on the lake)

Private Lake or Not.... if you ever want to ski.... let me know.... can always use local 'bu buddies.... be it in cass or your lake.... boats have trailers for a reason ;)

-Mark

Private Lake or Not.... if you ever want to ski.... let me know.... can always use local 'bu buddies.... be it in cass or your lake.... boats have trailers for a reason ;)

-Mark

I'm sure that we can work something out over the summer when I'm not on the road for business!

Allen