Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery or Starter symptom?

I am wondering if I am having a starter or a battery problem, here are the symptoms:

The first week, the engine started right away

Then last week, when i turned the ignition, I heard the starter go "Click" without turning the engine... after trying a few times the engine started.

This week-end, the same thing happened but instead of having to try 2 or 3 times, I had to try about 7 times before the starter was able to turn the engine.

I personally think it is a starter issue, because when it is able to turn the engine, it turns it fast. The volt meter seems OK, showing about 12 and going down to 8 when I try to start the engine...

Also, when I’ve had dead batteries on my cars in the past, the starter would go "tic-tic-tic-tic" without turning the engine , whereas in this case it just goes "click" once.

Has anyone had this happen before, do you think it’s a starter or battery issue?

Help!

Another possibility is that you have a dirty or loose battery cable. That will cause the same symptom, but I would get a load test done on the battery and that will probably tell the story.

Another possibility is that you have a dirty or loose battery cable. That will cause the same symptom, but I would get a load test done on the battery and that will probably tell the story.

I agree. I had the same thing happen to me once. It was nothing more than a loose battery connection.

I agree. I had the same thing happen to me once. It was nothing more than a loose battery connection.

OK, thank you both, that's the first thing i'll check

Probably just battery terminal as already stated but another option which you don't want to hear about is the possiblity of leaky manifolds, particularly given age of the boat. It could just be minor leak and a cylinder is getting a bit of water in it, causing hydraulic lock. If so, get it fixed ASAP as it may not cause internal damage right now but would do sometime in future.

If this happens only on cold starts, you could have a solenoid problem. The plunger in the solenoid needs to hit the button when it is pulled all of the way in and stay there until the key is moved out of the start position. If it is not working at 100%, it may take a few hits with the key to get a good connection and stay connected.

Don't forget to check the ignition switch. Those terminals get corroded and or loose over time. Doesn't sound like a starter problem so my bet is on the switch. Been wrong before though.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thank you both, that's the first thing i'll check

I had a problem simular to yours when my boat had only 20 hours. When the key was turned, the starter would only click and the battery cable would get very hot. In fact, when I tried to disconnect it, I burned my fingers. A new battery, under warranty fixed the problem. Ucontrol

If you stored the battery outside, it probably froze at some point. The battery seems to be sensitive to failing at the beginning of the year, one cell basically failing and it is very intermittent.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, i wanted to let you know that my problem is now solved. I changed the starter and it now starts perfectly. The dealer said my starter was 'spotted' so the problem would just get worse if not fixed.

before changing the starter i checked all connections and made sure battery was charged. I also checked the oil for signs of water to rule out the "hydro core lock"

I hope this will help anyone with similar symptoms, and thank you all for your comments.

Eric