Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical dead

While cruising along my entire electrical system just shut down. No warning at all. Already checked the fuses and they are fine. I have no power to any of the dash instruments or the ingnition. Anyone have this problem???

I could use any help to solve this.

While cruising along my entire electrical system just shut down. No warning at all. Already checked the fuses and they are fine. I have no power to any of the dash instruments or the ingnition. Anyone have this problem???

I could use any help to solve this.

[/quote

My '97 VLX with a Monsoon did that a few years back - the second time I had it out - one hour before dark at the far end of the reservoir. I followed the positive battery cable. I don't recall exactly, but if it was like an automotive application, the cable goes to the starter first, then a "almost as big" cable, from the same post on the starter as the battery cabl heads forward & attaches to a relay. This threaded stud on the relay had gotton loose and lost connection.

If that's not it, check the battery for voltage - then follow the cables - both + & -. You should find something loose or disconnected.

Check your kill switch. Oh wait - '96? May not have one, eh?

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
Check to make sure the main breaker hasn't tripped.

Plus1.gifWelcome.gif

Come to think of it - it was the main breaker back on the front/side of the Monsoon, not a relay, where my man power wire was loose. Like stated earlier, assuming the battery has power, follow the leads & you will find the problem.

Don't forget to check the ground also. If there is no ground there is no circuit in a boat.

Also check your battery terminals. I had a issue where everything was fine, then I turned the ignition & everything went out. Turned out to be corrosion on one of the battery cables. Loosening & retightening the cables was enough to get the connection back, get me running and to the dock where I could rough up the connection to make it last until I could replace the cables.

It's a little unusual that this happened while you were under way.

Also check the main lead to the fuse panel (right by the driver's seat). In my boat the lead was not tightented enough and it just came off.