Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

problems with guages

recently joined the Malibu Crew after buying a 99 Wakesetter. First time out the guages all worked great. Since then they've been dead. I saw some posts that talked about unplugging the wires going into the MMDC, which I did, but after plugging them back in I still don't have any guages. I'm not the handiest guy in the world when it comes to electrical stuff, but I don't see any inline fuses, losse wires, etc. From other posts it looks like the MMDC is around $250. I have an appointment to take it in week after next, but am leaving for Lake Powell at the end of this week and would sure like to get the guages working if it's some dumb thing like a loose wire. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have had issues like this with my boat. I could reach under the dash when the boat was running and wiggle the wires and make the guages work. Sometimes it was the power wire in the small plug with the clip on it. That is where the power comes to the MMDC. Other times the guages would sporadically work and I could wiggle the wires on the larger plug that is held in with a screw. I took both plugs out and cleaned the connections with some electric cleaner, and tried using a probe to bend the female ends in the plug, and that helped some. I still have problems, but not enough to make me carry it in to the shop. If you want you can call me and I will explain to you what I am talking about, and what some dealers told me when I explained my problem. 601-218-1574

George

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 99 Sunsetter VLX and the same thing is happening. RPM's work sporadically. Spedo does not work. All other gauges will move periodically even when the engine is OFF. When I unplug the MMDC small plug with the clip on it, everything stops. Wiggling the other wires creates movement in the guages but no results.

I am very newbie as well. I'll try the electric cleaner also... does anyone else have any ideas? I keep reading about "loose gorund", but I nieve enough not to know where the ground is :)

Any advise is appreciated.

• 6 months later...

I have a 98 VLX. ALL of the Gauges went dead at the end of summer. Having a fair electical knowledge base, I began troubleshooting. The MDC had all of the required powers, grounds, no pushed back pins or corrosion in the connectors. Therefore I replaced the MDC. Fired up the boat and still nothing. I collected all of the data and contacted Malibu for further direction. They wanted me to take it to a dealer and write a blank check. After explaing my situation to several people within Malibu, I was passed on to a tech Rep, who reviewed all of the information with me and said I "Definiately" had a failed wire harness between the MDC and the instruments. This harness is a data buss style harness, all of the instruments use a single wire (yellow wire) to get their signal. I followed his recommendations and replaced the harness. $350.00 later MDC & harness), still no instruments & still waiting for a return phone call from the "Tech Rep". Not happy about the whole deal!!!!

for my erratic gauges I was told to run an 8 guage wire from the bus bar to the battery (i think). Unfortunately the boat is in storage and i can't check that for you. that was for eratic gauges though, not completely dead.

for my erratic gauges I was told to run an 8 guage wire from the bus bar to the battery (i think). Unfortunately the boat is in storage and i can't check that for you. that was for eratic gauges though, not completely dead.

I think you forgot to mention that this would be an 8 ga. wire to the batt. neg. terminal to the neg. bus. bar under the dash. Correct?

I think you forgot to mention that this would be an 8 ga. wire to the batt. neg. terminal to the neg. bus. bar under the dash. Correct?

correct, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

correct, thanks.

Iam having similar problems with my 2001 Response. Would anyone have a Wiring manual?

I had the same problem on my 2000 SSLXI, I lost all my guages and speedo without any kind of warning, they didn't flucuate or anything. I have the 325 monsoon and was told by the dealer that it was a bad ground. After further investigation (replacing ground wires etc) it turned out to be the mmdc. I installed the new one and everything has worked like new since. Good luck!!

Edited by RockinRod

Man, I feel lucky I did what I did when I took every thing apart to fix the dash panel. I pulled a lot the ground wires out and for lighting and replaced all of the connectors and made new clean connections. I added a 12V power buss and grounding buss under the dash, and then rewired all new switches and new breakers through that with new heavier wire.

I found that the original wiring grounds are all "daisy chained" under the dash and throughout the boat. That is not the best way to go IMO.

I have no issues at all with anything. I also replaced all battery and starter cables and cleaned all of those connections as well (engine block, alternator...).

I have always been told, that if weird things are going on electrically, check the grounds.