Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" VS 4'9"

dalt1

I learned on an 07 model Broadcast 5'6" board and am needing to buy a board now. What difference should I expect between the longer and shorter boards. Riding behind 06 VLX with stock balast, wedge and 750# bag on surf side. Most riders between 130 AND 180 LBS. I am 175.

I have to give dibs to the Phase 5 Prop...but not sure it would be a good board to have as your ONLY board. I might go with the Phase 5 Oogle as an ONLY board. I will pm you either tonight or tomorrow and share my opinions and well researched/acquired knowledge. Just don't have time right now.

But...I would probably stick with the BC 5.6 if thats your fancy. I have ridden shorter boards and weigh exactly what you do...and, although it CAN be done...it is tougher to go ropeless.

More to follow...

PS: I have both the BC 5.6 your talking about *and* the Phase 5 Prop. Two entirely different animals! Both a ton of fun, for different reasons. Do you want a cruiser style board or a slasher, maybe something you can pop tricks on later on?

I learned on an 07 model Broadcast 5'6" board and am needing to buy a board now. What difference should I expect between the longer and shorter boards. Riding behind 06 VLX with stock balast, wedge and 750# bag on surf side. Most riders between 130 AND 180 LBS. I am 175.
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

I had a chance to ride a shorter broadcast today and felt pretty comfortable on it. It seemed to be a bit slower than the long board but more manuverable. Rode both boards with all three fins, what difference does removing fins make? I will only be keeping 1 board and that's why I thought the long board would be best for others wanting to learn. Now that my son and I have got the riding without the rope figured out, we are thinking maybe the shorter board will be better for us and newbees will have to use whatever we have. I am guessing that smaller will be better for tricks later. LSV, I will be waiting for your input, thanks.